CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

W215 ABC delete, Yellow speed racing coilover DIY installation

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 W215 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by ctravis595
The bounciness improves when I removed nearly all preload, just enough tension to keep the springs from spinning freely

but still wasn’t perfect

I agree I think together we can find the solution, my best idea so far is yellowspeed front coilovers and strutmasters in the rear WITH upgraded/firmer springs on the rear strutmasters. This is the best of all worlds but unfortunately you’ll need to buy two kits
Out of the box the preload seems too high. These things are wound tight. I’m thinking that we could research coilover kits from other manufacturers and even different cars with similar weight and weight distribution. That would give us CL owners a good reference point to start with which seems to be our biggest issue. We’re all guessing and trying different solutions without a good starting point and the manufacturers of these products don’t seem to be much help. If the shocks and spring rates are incorrect though, we’ll only be able to get it as good as the hardware will allow...
Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 PM

2005 W215 CL55 AMG
Just wanted to provide an update after about a month of driving on the yellowspeed coilovers. I do now feel the bounce in the rear. It’s not that bad for me but it’s unbecoming of a car of this caliber. I do have some tricks up my sleeve in my quest to make this thing handle as I intend. Did some spring rate calculations based on a formula used by Ridetech. I’ll be purchasing some rear springs and swapping them out. Also had some custom adjustable A arms made to correct front camber (issue for those using W220 lower control arms to mount front sway bar). Also found adjustable rear arm to allow for toe and camber adjustments in the rear. Fronts use polyurethane bushing which should help to further tighten things up. I keep you all updated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sportunage:
ctravis595 (06-26-2020), pmercury (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Thanks for the update. what spring rates did the calculator come up with?
Old 06-26-2020, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by Sportunage
Just wanted to provide an update after about a month of driving on the yellowspeed coilovers. I do now feel the bounce in the rear. It’s not that bad for me but it’s unbecoming of a car of this caliber. I do have some tricks up my sleeve in my quest to make this thing handle as I intend. Did some spring rate calculations based on a formula used by Ridetech. I’ll be purchasing some rear springs and swapping them out. Also had some custom adjustable A arms made to correct front camber (issue for those using W220 lower control arms to mount front sway bar). Also found adjustable rear arm to allow for toe and camber adjustments in the rear. Fronts use polyurethane bushing which should help to further tighten things up. I keep you all updated.
the changes In geometry of the w220 airmatic control arms will make the car more stable. I haven’t installed a front sway bar yet but even with just the w220 control arms I noticed a difference. The strut mounts to the control arm in a slightly different spot as most of you should recall

one downside to the w220 control arms/added stability is that the steering feels a bit more stiff/more work to turn the steering wheel

keep us updated on the spring rate situation... I’m of the belief the rear bounce probably can’t be dialed out in shock or spring settings, but would be very pleased to find out otherwise
Old 06-20-2022, 06:28 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
S55
the changes In geometry of the w220 airmatic control arms will make the car more stable. I haven’t installed a front sway bar yet but even with just the w220 control arms I noticed a difference. The strut mounts to the control arm in a slightly different spot as most of you should recall

one downside to the w220 control arms/added stability is that the steering feels a bit more stiff/more work to turn the steering wheel

keep us updated on the spring rate situation... I’m of the belief the rear bounce probably can’t be dialed out in shock or spring settings, but would be very pleased to find out otherwise
Did you get a clicking in the steering wheel while turning it when the car is not moving? That is the problem that I am facing at the moment.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:05 PM

2005 W215 CL55 AMG

I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted but, I just purchased some 900lbs springs from Draco. Made the calculation based on the vehicle curb weight and a 55/45 weight ratio (assumed). I’ll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:08 PM

2005 W215 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by paste
Did you get a clicking in the steering wheel while turning it when the car is not moving? That is the problem that I am facing at the moment.
Try tightening your preload 2 or 3 rotations. Yellowspeed says not to adjust the preload and that it’s already set but I can confirm that in my case that wasn’t the case. Was getting clunking from the front end. Tighten all suspension components 2x before adjusting the preload. Clunking gone.