CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Anyone considering a Bentley GT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004 | 12:18 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Anyone considering a Bentley GT?

I am just curious if any of you who may be considering (or just dreaming about) the CL65, are also considering the Bentley Continental GT?

I have read that Bentley (VW) is targeting the GT for AMG customers. I for one, would rather pay $150,000 for the Bentley, which will have more cache and a nicer interior versus paying $175,000 (or whatever it is eventually priced at) for the CL65, which looks a little too much like the $90,000 CL is it based on.

What do you all think?
Old 04-09-2004 | 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
See:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=53493
Old 04-10-2004 | 12:11 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
What about the Bentley

Not sure I see that anyone seems interested in the Bentley from the string attached here.

What is the deal? Supposedly, Bentley will sell more 12 cylinder cars than anyone in the world with the Continental GT.
Old 04-12-2004 | 02:56 PM

E55
I would definitely consider the GT. A little hesitant on the W-12 versus the V-12 but it's certainly a beautiful car. I'm getting an E55 this time but will consider the GT in a couple of years after the bugs are worked out. And there will be more than a couple.................
Old 04-12-2004 | 04:53 PM

2003 CL55
From the perspective of an 03 CL55 owner: The GT is a very appealing and unique design and although 700 lbs heavier than the CL55, probably is dynamically satisfying. While it may not out-accelerate the 55 and certainly not the 65, it is surely very fast and probably a comfortable car for longish trips. I have read that it is rather small inside and not just in the back. I would not want an early model for reasons highlighted above post. No high end car is worth a premium these days, given the especially soft aftermarket, IMO. That said, it will certainly garner the valued valet spots and get lots of thumbs up. I recall reading that Bentley plans to send quite a few more GT's to the US than MB sends CL55's or 65's. In a year or two it will be interesting to see how they hold up in actual use and in the after market.
Old 04-13-2004 | 03:18 AM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
In the well known german auto mag "Auto Motor und Sport" they tested a CL 600 vs a Bentley GT.. and the CL destroyed it in any aspect.. also the Bentley has a Volkswagen engine, which makes it pretty much loose any reason to buy.. IMHO!
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:00 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Who is ordering all these Bentleys?

What is puzzling me is that there are supposed to be 3,000 orders for the Bentley GT making this one of the tougher cars to acquire. I have posted discussions about the Bentley in a couple of different enthusiast sites and there seems to be little excitement for the Bentley, so who is placing all these orders? Speculators?
Old 04-13-2004 | 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I had #2 spot and after seeing the car,sitting in it and reading Brit reviews of it ,promptly cancelled my order and put a deposit for F612.
GT is not going to be as exclusive as it seems to be for now and the main reason for me, was that the car just did not seem "special "enough.
It may be good enough for a daily commuter but I have my 600 for that purpose.GT is not good enough,not exciting enough for a leisure driving I was looking for.
612 seems to fit my needs with its image,performance and quality.
It is not flashy,in your face like Lambos and also has a usefull back seat so I can share the experience with my kids.
Old 04-14-2004 | 10:02 AM

2003 CL55
I appreciate Absent's comments on GT. They may well become relatively common here.
My name is second on the list for the RS8 at my dealer. My assumption is that it will have the Gallardo engine tuned to about 500 bhp. The short wheelbase A8 is a hansome car and Quattro is amazing in wet or show, which we certainly get a lot of in Boston. I assume the the RS8 will be here in a year or so.
Old 04-14-2004 | 05:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
Im already on the list for the convertible coming out in '05 (supposedly)
Old 04-15-2004 | 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
Originally posted by CL55NYC
Im already on the list for the convertible coming out in '05 (supposedly)
COME TO OUR MEET IN NJ THIS MONTH, ON THE 25TH!!!

Check out the Events and Gatherings forum, please please please come! Its a Lexus/BMW/Mercedes meet, we would love to see your CL55!
Old 04-27-2004 | 10:05 PM

Viktorious, I would also be interested in a GT convertible. Where did you get this information? If it is true, I too will pass on the coupe and wait
Old 04-30-2004 | 04:01 PM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
I really like both cars but would probably take the GT as I am a VAG fan. MBZ / AMG power monster are out of control....but I am loving every minute of it.

My name is second on the list for the RS8 at my dealer. My assumption is that it will have the Gallardo engine tuned to about 500 bhp. The short wheelbase A8 is a hansome car and Quattro is amazing in wet or show, which we certainly get a lot of in Boston. I assume the the RS8 will be here in a year or so.
I read recently read that the RS8 is iffy which would suck. I think a V10 lambo motor in a 4 door sedan would be rather nice. The new rumor is the RS6 cosworth motor in the S8 with 500 hp. Maybe they will go over the top and put the Le Mans quattro V10 twin turbo in the RS8 with 610hp.
Old 05-02-2004 | 08:40 PM

My mom heard about these and she's really interested in one....she wants me to find more information on the vehicle, since she's replacing her S500. Anyone know if these will sell for sticker?
Old 05-03-2004 | 01:55 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Good luck

The waiting list is supposedly three years long and they still haven't even delivered their first cars. You can get one for sticker in 2007 and until then expect to pay upwards of $20K over.
Old 09-22-2004 | 10:40 AM

Not answering the topic, but i wanted share these anyway. It isnt everyday you seen such beauty.

Bentley Continental GT, photographed during a short stay in Stockholm.

over and out - Andrée
Old 09-22-2004 | 11:16 AM
DHH

Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
I drove a GT a few months ago. It wasn't that interesting. It just seemed big and boring - like I was in the bar at Morton's. The guys at the dealership weren't very nice either. They did show me a few pictures of the 4-door GT which is due out next year. It looked pretty good. The test drive curbed my desire for the GT.
Old 09-22-2004 | 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
nice 2-door Phaeton...if I spend 150k+ it better not share a platform
Old 09-22-2004 | 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
GT is an excellent "daily driver",just too expensive for that purpose.
At that price I expect a weekend/free time "Toy" and that car is just not exciting enough to fill that purpose.
Old 09-22-2004 | 04:53 PM

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by shoes
I am just curious if any of you who may be considering (or just dreaming about) the CL65, are also considering the Bentley Continental GT?

I have read that Bentley (VW) is targeting the GT for AMG customers. I for one, would rather pay $150,000 for the Bentley, which will have more cache and a nicer interior versus paying $175,000 (or whatever it is eventually priced at) for the CL65, which looks a little too much like the $90,000 CL is it based on.

What do you all think?
yes, my brother! i told him better to go with the Aston MV8 , i personnaly love my 360 (manual) but it aint really relaxing ... weekends , special events , ok ,,, and a li'l roadster is on the way the slk 55 ... why dont u consider an aston? maybe the DB9 ?
Old 09-24-2004 | 11:02 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
CL versus Bentley versus Aston

I posed this question months ago because I had the Bentley on order but felt conflicted about owning one. The image, man. In the ensuing months, the image thing has only gotten worse for me. After seeing and driving the Bentley, I greatly admire the interior and greatly dislike the weight. The ride quality is tiring because you always feel this great anchor making things hard to accelerate and equally hard to brake. I decided not to take delivery of the GT. Maybe I am not old enough or hip enough, not sure which.

In May, I visited the AMG and Aston factories. The Aston factory is gorgeous, almost as good looking as the DB9. I am smitten by the looks and sounds of the DB9. I may one day own one. For now, I feel Aston cannot make up its mind whether it wants to be a "gentleman's car" or a Ferrari fighter. Frankly, I want a comfortable, exclusive ride (hence my original interest in the Bentley) and the Aston may not be comfortable enough for me, based on the heavy steering and stiff ride.

At the AMG factory, they let me drive the CL65. I was very impressed. My original criticism still stands- the car is rather ordinary looking, albeit elegant. But of these three cars, the CL comes the closest to my paradigm of what a luxury GT should be- eminently capable, comfortable, luxurious and understated. Hence, I bought a CL600 when I returned home.

The story doesn't end there. In one month, I fly back to AMG for delivery of my very own CL65, which they have painted designo graphite for me on a special order basis (the whole deal with European delivery was a challenge to arrange). This will be my 100th car and my 18th Mercedes.
Old 09-24-2004 | 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by shoes
I posed this question months ago because I had the Bentley on order but felt conflicted about owning one. The image, man. In the ensuing months, the image thing has only gotten worse for me. After seeing and driving the Bentley, I greatly admire the interior and greatly dislike the weight. The ride quality is tiring because you always feel this great anchor making things hard to accelerate and equally hard to brake. I decided not to take delivery of the GT. Maybe I am not old enough or hip enough, not sure which.

In May, I visited the AMG and Aston factories. The Aston factory is gorgeous, almost as good looking as the DB9. I am smitten by the looks and sounds of the DB9. I may one day own one. For now, I feel Aston cannot make up its mind whether it wants to be a "gentleman's car" or a Ferrari fighter. Frankly, I want a comfortable, exclusive ride (hence my original interest in the Bentley) and the Aston may not be comfortable enough for me, based on the heavy steering and stiff ride.

At the AMG factory, they let me drive the CL65. I was very impressed. My original criticism still stands- the car is rather ordinary looking, albeit elegant. But of these three cars, the CL comes the closest to my paradigm of what a luxury GT should be- eminently capable, comfortable, luxurious and understated. Hence, I bought a CL600 when I returned home.

The story doesn't end there. In one month, I fly back to AMG for delivery of my very own CL65, which they have painted designo graphite for me on a special order basis (the whole deal with European delivery was a challenge to arrange). This will be my 100th car and my 18th Mercedes.
Congrats, you will have to post pics when you get it. Sounds like a nice colour.

Now the GT, I personally think the shape is a bit ugly and considering the competition (DB9), I would never choose the GT. It's not even that rare over here, I saw one around where I live the other day and when you go into London, you will see at least 5 or 6 of them. The S55 is rarer than the GT!