CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Bought a 2004 CL55 AMG!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CL55 AMG
Bought a 2004 CL55 AMG!

So I have owned a GL450 and a E550, and now I have moved into what I should have been looking at to replace my GL.

I found it localy: Car guru listing

Looks and feels just like the pictures do. Normal amount or rock chips. The Passanger door handle has the chrome cracked off and the drivers seat control panel (the wood trim) has come a bit loose off the door pad. Seats look and operate like new.

Things i have noticed that are a bit odd:

The doors take a while for the windows to come down when opening, almost like I feel I am pulling too hard/fast. Then they also take about 5s to go back up after closing the door.

all 3 soft close mechanisms are working, including the up down motor on the trunk with no noises.

radio sounds very strong, but No Sat radio

no weeping on all 4 struts, it goes to my Indi tomorrow for a check up and all fluids changed, negotiated the fluid change and the check into the purchase price. The Indi is going to pull the panels and check the ABC blocks. I up and downed the suspension about 5 times, and i also saw the car parked for about 2H while we did paperwork/waited on my wife to come and let me buy the car . No sagging.

Motor sounded strong, cold start with no abnormal exhaust and quick to turn over.

Drive went well, unfortunately i do not have much to compare it to in power, but it is faster than my E550 that i had previously even though it weighs quite a bit more. The top end is astounding, should be fun.

I hope to learn more! and sorry about the crappy picture, more will come when I have my proper camera.

The following users liked this post:
principledchiro (06-03-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
Good luck. Great car. I love mine.

Looks like it has original tires and wheels. You can make it handle significantly better by going bigger and getting some lowering links. Not that much of an expense and well worth it in my humble opinion.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lukky, congrats on a beautiful purchase!
I saw that add and wondered about the wheels. They are not the factory wheels for the car. That design wasn't offered until a few years later on some 07+ Models.
They don't appear to be 20inch which is what that design commonly is. Are they 19s? Just curious.

In any case, she's a beauty! Looking forward to hearing your ownership impressions in the future. And lowering links would definitely be a great mod.

Ron, your w215 is gorgeous as well!
RonCL55 (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:53 PM

2004 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by bentleymp21
Lukky, congrats on a beautiful purchase!
I saw that add and wondered about the wheels. They are not the factory wheels for the car. That design wasn't offered until a few years later on some 07+ Models.
They don't appear to be 20inch which is what that design commonly is. Are they 19s? Just curious.

In any case, she's a beauty! Looking forward to hearing your ownership impressions in the future. And lowering links would definitely be a great mod.

Ron, your w215 is gorgeous as well!
other than poking around them to take a look at the struts (my main priority) they seem to be staggered [width] and 19" seems about right. As soon as I have the car in my possession I will let you guys know more.

They are wrapped in a H.Performance Hankook tire. They also have 0 road rash, for 50k miles these may have been put on this car recently. I am not sure if these were available as options when the car was purchased.

I noticed I will need to wrap the rear section of the Quarter/bumper from rocks as the tires are outside the wheel well. (FYI i am not a wheel guy, as long as the car matches and they are safe at speed I am happy)

Overall they look like genuine MB AMG wheels, and IMO were the right choice for the car.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55 AMG (2001)
to your comment about opening the door and taking a while for the windows to go down a bit. YES...that is normal. For most cars that I have had with that feature, it is recommended that you pull the door handle first without opening it as such and let the window settle before actually swinging the door open. Protects the door seals more. FYI- I have a Silver CL55 AMG (2001) for sale on this forum that is the lowest mileage one for sale in the U.S. I love these cars...owned a 2004 and now the 2001. Congrats!
LukkyStrike (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 AM

2004 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by larrygk
to your comment about opening the door and taking a while for the windows to go down a bit. YES...that is normal. For most cars that I have had with that feature, it is recommended that you pull the door handle first without opening it as such and let the window settle before actually swinging the door open. Protects the door seals more. FYI- I have a Silver CL55 AMG (2001) for sale on this forum that is the lowest mileage one for sale in the U.S. I love these cars...owned a 2004 and now the 2001. Congrats!
Yes, i do the same, but the delay is sometimes (for the window) very long, also, they do not always like to auto back up when the door is closed.

I just noticed also, that my dome light will no longer turn on when doors are opened, yes i checked the switch. When turned to "on" they will illuminate. I have to check on that this weekend.

Also, sometimes the amp for the speakers will go out, causing a "radio not available" on the head unit. I think i need a new SAM unit. But we will see. the radio still works 98% of the time.

Otherwise the car runs like a champ, need to replace the idlers and the inter-cooler pump and she will fly.