CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

'07 CL600 - Bang Noise on Startup - Accumulator? Exorcist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55
'07 CL600 - Bang Noise on Startup - Accumulator? Exorcist?

Thanks in advance for reading this and giving some advice.

Yesterday I started the CL600 and heard what sounded like something hitting the driver side front of the car, very odd. Only did it once and car drove fine no issues not leaks. Later in day did same noise again after being parked a few hours, checking these forums seems I may have a bad accumulator.

So I checked the ABC level all good, no leaks so I did not add any fluid called and made an appt for repair shop ( Hi-Line in Orange County is awesome!).

Then drove the car for a few miles to coffee shop came out and some fluid on the ground. Fluid pushing out the dipstick cap. Checked fluid in ABC reservoir and now low??
Added some fluid while car hot and running only filled to lower level marker.

Drove home opened hood, fluid everywhere and low again???
Added fluid with car off and reservoir started spitting up and foaming up all over the place, like the Exorcist

So filled to normal level once Exorcism stopped, started car, raised and lowered car 15 times. Checked fluid normal again no foaming,

Im bringing the car in, but curious what the hell is going on???

Last edited by Titan1969; 09-28-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55
SOLVED

Hi-Line Auto in Santa Ana, CA diagnosed issue as a collapsed driver side front accumulator.
When the accumulator collapsed it releases the nitrogen charge into the fluid line thus pushing fluid out the reservoir fill cap.

They recommended I replace all 3 accumulators since they were the originals ( Already replaced pulsation dampener previously )

$1631 later rides like a magic carpet again.

Been a rough year for repairs approaching $4000, but still love the car and often get car enthusiast asking questions about the car, as I understand few CL600s V12's were sold in North America.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Bad accumulator sounds right. You should get ABC error lights that flash when you go over a bump.