CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Custom inter-cooler design for m275 engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w215 Cl65 AMG
Lightbulb Custom inter-cooler design for m275 engine

Well I've been looking for upgrades available in the aftermarket for my CL65, and honestly the price to performance of the majority of "bolt on" products available have me looking at making my own parts to install. Here is a little project I've been working on. Designed a quad inter cooler system in solid works that fits underneath the stock engine covers of the M275 amg! I took the measurements on my car, so non AMG dimensions may not be compatible.

the second inter-cooler core takes the place of the stock air-box, so a custom cold air intake solution must be used. I'm working on a design in solid works for that as well. I am going to contact bell inter-coolers to get a price estimate on how much they would cost for them to fabricate once I finish the design. Still need to add in the mount points for the engine and the engine covers. Really want to make this as "plug and play" as possible. It uses one of their off the shelf W2A inter cooler cores. Product code: AW600037060 (6" x 6"x 3.7" dimensions). Since you need 4 of them it's about 800 total not including fabrication. I'd guesstimate price of around $1.1-1.3k per assembly, about $2.5k total. 1/4" npt threads for water lines so hardware can easily be sourced. 2" air inlets/outlets. Waterlines would be adapted to the stock feed and return line on the engine. You could have one cooler feed the second, or T of the two feed lines so each core gets fresh water(this may be a tight fit under the engine, however.) Charge pipes and merger pipe I personally think would be easier for the installer to fabricate for their specific application, thus not included in the design. Let me know what you guys think. I also could easily modify the design to have 4-5 inch tall inter-cooler cores, giving you better cooling performance, but It was my goal to maintain a stock appearance under the hood. I may be bias, but I think the M275 engine is ugly without them

Let me know what you guys think, and if any changes should be taken into consideration!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:35 PM

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 MB C350 4MATIC/2011 CL63 AMG/2014 C63 Coupe 507
Amazing stuff; great to see some work being done on the CL's; looking forward in seeing this.

P.S. If you ever make anything for a M157 CL63, let me know haha
Old 04-11-2020, 01:43 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Subscribed. Bring it to life, man!