CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

HELP! '04 CL55 AMG ABC PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 CL55 AMG
HELP! '04 CL55 AMG ABC PROBLEM

Hello All,

I have recently ran across some problem with my ABC Hydraulic System. I know these problems are very common and very expensive and that's why I'm taking the DIY route.

So some information... When I started my car I got a light saying ABC Drive Carefully and automatically looked around if one side was leaning or too low. I drove it and noticed that suspension was very soft and bouncy. When I got home I inspected the car more thoroughly and noticed that there was a lot of fluid all over the bottom car covers. So I went to take off the car covers and went underneath trying to locate the problem.

When I was underneath oil dripped down on me and noticed this. Might be the main suspect. Could be a tandem hydraulic pump from what I've been reading.

Top angle of what I believe to be the tandem hydraulic Pump

Power Steering seems like it was covered in some oil

Noticed that this area was also covered in fluid but could have dripped from Tandem pump line don't know if this area is leaking.

Area covered as well

Need some help and guidance on what I should do. Thinking of pulling out the Tandem Pump and start from there.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:57 PM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
Did you check the fluid level (when hot and when cold)...for both ABC and Powersteering?
Do you have extra Pentosin CHF 11S?

If the fluid levels are low, you'll need to top it off(to the correct hot/cold lines on the dipstick) and see how fast it leaks.. is it a fast leak or slow leak, no leak needs to be confirmed. If it leaking somewhere, the leak needs to be found.

It also could be your ABC accumulators.. the nitrogen membranes breaks and the ABC pressure lowers or overworks the tandem pump, get that bouncy feeling, etc, you might be able to trace the side where it lowers to which accumulator needs possible replacing. (I replaced all my accumulators)

If the fluid levels are good, and if you get no powersteering, it's probably the tandem pump also.

That's where I started when I got a busted abc line... and then a busted tandem pump after fixing the abc line (the line that goes not where and makes a U turn - Damper)

Read my posts on my DYI experience..

Hope you get it fixed. Once I fixed mine, it was Good.

Last edited by NRL; 04-15-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:07 PM

'04 CL55 AMG
Hi NRL,

I checked the fluid level and it was very low on power steering and as well in the ABC reservoir, Both didn't hit the dipstick.
I also went ahead check the driver front accumulator as that's where the primary leakage is and there is no sign sign of leakage. Is there a way to test the accumulators?

I already went ahead and took out the tandem pump and gonna buy me a new one. Hope this solve the problem.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:01 PM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
Originally Posted by Miles Xavier
Hi NRL,

I checked the fluid level and it was very low on power steering and as well in the ABC reservoir, Both didn't hit the dipstick.
I also went ahead check the driver front accumulator as that's where the primary leakage is and there is no sign sign of leakage. Is there a way to test the accumulators?

I already went ahead and took out the tandem pump and gonna buy me a new one. Hope this solve the problem.
Did you check the level both when it was cold and after running around 80C +? It differs. I topped it it off when it was warmed up really good.
When you get the new tandem pump, you have to make sure it's at the right fluid level.. both cold and hot.. there's markings.. translate the German.

I would replace the accumulator on the leg of the abc hose you think there might be a problem other then the tandem pump.
There is a pencil test you can do with the accumulator to see if the membrane is puntured near the opening. You stick something into it to see if it goes thru..after removing it, but that's not 100%.
Sometimes, it is just leaky even though the membrane that keeps the nitrogen in the accumulator..it's a hydralic dampner.

The tandem pump will work extra hard if your accumultors have lost their nitrogen to keep it at 2000+PSI if I recall..
I replaced all mine if it's never been done before.

Last edited by NRL; 04-21-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:56 PM

'04 CL55 AMG
NRL,

Thanks for all your support! I appreciate it so much!

So I just received my tandem pump a couple of days ago and I went ahead and installed it. Everything seemed fine, topped off the hydraulic fluid on both reservoirs, and started the car. As I was inspecting the vehicle making sure there are no leaks, I noticed that around the ABC Pulsation Dampener Hose is dripping pretty fast. My guess is the gasket may be bad. So I am thinking of replacing the green gasket o ring or should do you think its better to replace the hose itself? Once again thanks your help NRL! (: