CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Opinions, Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyundai Accent
Opinions, Please!

So I'm a dreamer right now, but should the stars align correctly I will be in the market for my first MB this spring. While I would love to be looking at the SL style, I need a back seat. That brings me to the CL. I've read page after page of blogs and reviews, and watched hours on YouTube, but there's nothing like asking first hand. Because of prices and responsibilities, I will be looking at later years of the M113K motor, or the M156 years. This car will also likely be my daily, so I have to consider that as well. I'm aware of fuel consumption between the two, so that's not as much of a factor, although what is would be more of reliability of the vehicle, along with accessibility within the vehicle to maintain and repair on my own. I hear horror stories about things going sideways in the M156 motor, which pushes me back to the M113K years, but those are getting on in age.

So let's start this discussion. As the title of this post says: Opinions, Please!
Old 07-16-2020, 04:25 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
I would go m113k because I have one, also I had an m113 and beat that engine up and never died.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:35 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I dunno. If you are considering it for a daily, the cars available in the W215 AMG platform are getting to be either low mileage garage queens with higher price tags, or higher mileage cars wherein maintenance costs and down time may be an issue. Before anyone flames me, that is not to say that they can't be perfectly fine daily drivers, but high performance german machines after 15+ years deserve some deeper thinking for use as daily drivers, no matter how bullet proof the motor is. Think ABC, etc. That being said, after having a 2009 E63 with the M156 with no problems 'cause I replaced the dreaded parts ahead of time, I'd probably stick with the 113 if I were you.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:49 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Originally Posted by Skizz
I dunno. If you are considering it for a daily, the cars available in the W215 AMG platform are getting to be either low mileage garage queens with higher price tags, or higher mileage cars wherein maintenance costs and down time may be an issue. Before anyone flames me, that is not to say that they can't be perfectly fine daily drivers, but high performance german machines after 15+ years deserve some deeper thinking for use as daily drivers, no matter how bullet proof the motor is. Think ABC, etc. That being said, after having a 2009 E63 with the M156 with no problems 'cause I replaced the dreaded parts ahead of time, I'd probably stick with the 113 if I were you.
Bought a 90k miles CL55.... its sitting in the garage :P