CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

03 CL55 A/C Diag, Semi In depth...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz CL 55 AMG
Question 03 CL55 A/C Diag, Semi In depth...

i have a 2003 CL55 AMG. AC worked beautifully, the compressor pulley sheared off on the drive home from work. Installed a short belt and had the a/c system evacuated.

Purchased a new a/c compressor for the CL and installed it with my tech/friend. Drove the car back to work and refilled the system with the 1.4lb of refrigerant, car took the a/c (that is how much was evac when we did it), i started the CL up and turned the a/c on. No a/c and the red light was lit on the a/c control module. Added more refridge to the OEM level of 2.06 total and the light disappeared. But still no a/c.

I had a KLA 1268V Code only that would not clear no matter what. Several threads for w220 S class and some MB tech i spoke with claim they use the star diag tool to break in the compressor or it will need to be reset via star since the system was empty.

Brought vehicle to Mbenz Dealer. I presented them with all info above and the code the vehicle had. $300 later they found that the center console would have to be removed to check the wires behind the dash for communication from the ac control module to the compressor. They wanted $455 to remove the console which we all know is a 25 min job so i said no thanks ill come get the car.

I purchased a used but excellent condition W220 a/c control head and just replaced it today. Still no a/c.

New Codes are:

Still KLA 1268v
NEW KLA1268A
KLA1267

All my BAR/Pressures and temps are all spot on where they are supposed to be. i have 12.8 at idle with the a/c off, ( i know most say 5 at idle with a/c off) and should be 10.8 to 14 with the compressor on, so i still think i am spot on unless i am over pressure w/ compressor off???

Any ideas? I am beyond frustrated with this as i do not buy the communication issue wiring wise because the air worked perfectly just the compressor died out. I did not touch a thing once i knew the compressor was down for the count.

I am going to schedule an appointment with an independent foreign auto repair shop next week if nothing comes of this thread.

Thanks!