CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

exhaust modification plan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65 AMG
exhaust modification plan

Here is my basic stock exhaust modification plan based on what I have researched. I just want to know if this makes sense?

Stock downpipes to stock cats = This is to keep things legal and to prevent any engine lights/faults. Remove stock system including muddlers after cats. Replace with 3" stainless dual pipes to an X pipe (3") to 3" dual pipes to AMG style exhaust tips. Looks like the tips come in 2.25" inlet. Not sure if the tips not being 3" is going to be a problem or not.

Should be an economical way to make the car sound a little more aggressive and maybe add a tiny bit more power as well as save a little weight.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:37 AM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
I personally would not change anything. These are highly engineered automobiles and the exhaust system is no different. For the incremental increase in power (if any) one risks resonant issues increasing drone at cruising speeds. Just as an example into the lengths that the MB engineers go to in the design of the systems in these automobiles; the internal diameter of the exhaust system is held a 2.7" throughout. I think that shows a level of detail that makes these cars unique.
Again, this is just my POV. It is your car, have fun with it. I feel fortunate to have the bandwidth (time, energy, funds) to keep up with maintenance and repair.
You mention the tips. Again, one of the nice things about these older (not sure on the newer) AMG cars is that the tips are functional in all four outlets. If you look at some cars, even MB, some of the four tip exhaust outlets are cosmetic. Anyway, enjoy and good fortune on what ever you choose to do.
The following users liked this post:
v8mercedes (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 AMG C63
If you haven’t done the replacement, I wonder if I can trade you with my setup. But I wonder if stock cat-back exhaust is the same for both CL65 and CL55, I have a CL55 with straight pipes from the cats on down with AMG tips.