CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

What is this sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 12:06 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
What is this sound?

Hello guys I have a CL55 amg and it has been making this high pitch sound. It only happens when the car is really warmed up, You can hear it in 1st gear the most but also in other gears too.

Since my car has ABC I thought it was the Pulsation Damper at first but I have since replaced that and it did not change anything. It sounds to be transmission related but my car still shifts like it has always.

The transmission fluid is also on the max level and is not dirty. Any ideas what it could be? I will post a video link down below with a sound clip while I am in park.

The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:23 PM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
My quick reply would be an idler pully. I know you are pretty far back on the car but that would be my first guess. How many miles?
Old 09-14-2021, 03:11 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
My quick reply would be an idler pully. I know you are pretty far back on the car but that would be my first guess. How many miles?
its the transmission
Old 09-15-2021, 08:55 PM

CL55
Alright I took off the pan and I do not see any flakes of metal. The filter is also clean. Could it just be the conductor plate now? It did every symptom of that.

Video 1:

Video 2:

Old 09-16-2021, 02:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
It sounds definitely like the front pump. When they start going they give off that type of noise. You won't always see fillings in the pan. But in my experience the transmission is either very low on fluid, unlikely but possible if you have a leak, or the pump is failed and you need to address it as the next step is the transmission slipping due to low line pressure in the transmission. Conductor plate cannot cause that noise.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:02 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
It sounds definitely like the front pump. When they start going they give off that type of noise. You won't always see fillings in the pan. But in my experience the transmission is either very low on fluid, unlikely but possible if you have a leak, or the pump is failed and you need to address it as the next step is the transmission slipping due to low line pressure in the transmission. Conductor plate cannot cause that noise.
The transmission was always good on fluid. I had a mechanic tell me he has heard other cars do this sound and it was the conductor plate, I don't know how that possible but thats what he said, I'm really hoping its not the whole transmission, Everyone says the 5 speeds are bullet proof...