CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 exhaust question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport
CL55 exhaust question

I want to upgrade the exhaust on my CL class and was thinking of upgrading the existing back boxes with the newer model years AMG cars. I know this has been discussed in the past for the E55 cars, which, it seems that the most popular choice was to replace the back box with C63 mufflers. I was wondering if swapping my existing stock back boxes with either the CL63 or S63 back boxes would get the same and/or similar outcome as if i went with the C63 back boxes? I’ve already had the secondary cats removed and an X pipe installed along with the resonators removed and replaced with straight pipes. Just looking for a little extra umph in the exhaust note while still maintaining the AMG exhaust tips and appearance.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:01 AM
dgi

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
93 Mustang GT, 94 Corvette ZR1, 2004 CL55 AMG
I thought about doing the C63 mufflers on my CL55 after getting my MBH longtubes/x-pipe installed but decided against it because I didnt want it to be too loud.

If you do move forward, please share your results!
Old 01-03-2024, 09:12 AM

C300 Sport
I'll for sure provide an update if I end up following through with the mod. The sound level is one of my concerns as well and something I don't want my car to sound hillbilly or that its owned by a 16 year old covered in axe bodyspray. The other concern I have is that with the C63 mufflers becoming more difficult to find, will I get the same results if I were to use the CL63/S63 muffler instead? I would hate to spend all that money and parts and labor and the buildup of excitement then be let down once its all said and done. Kinda like rushing to the toilet only to sit down and let out fart instead of the explosion assumed was about to happen based on the discomfort you felt as you rushed to the bathroom.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:18 PM
dgi

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
93 Mustang GT, 94 Corvette ZR1, 2004 CL55 AMG
If you have a competent exhaust shop, they should be able to mate some C63 mufflers to your stock setup in a way that you could unbolt the factory rear section and revert back should you regret the noise level.

I dont know what CL63 mufflers would net in terms of sound. Maybe able to find the mufflers cheap but you'll still have to pay to get them fitted. Likely more if you want the above mentioned "bolt on" ability.

How far are you from Chicago? Theres a shop up there called Fluid Motor Union that would likely make you a KILLER setup.... fully custom. But youre gonna pay. https://fluidmotorunion.com/
Old 01-04-2024, 11:08 AM

C300 Sport
I'm located roughly 20 minutes east of Detroit. There is a shop I use out here that does custom exhaust work called MRT. I had them build the X-pipe for my CL and they did a phenomenal job. It was a bit more than what I wanted to spend but the finished product exceeded my expectation and I was beyond impressed with the outcome. I will be using that shop if I deicide to move forward with this upgrade as they will be able to make it fit in addition to having it appear as if it was OEM.

When I created this post, I was hoping to find someone that has done this upgrade to their CL that could provide feedback on their experience after the upgrade. I also was curious if anyone knew if there was a difference between the C63 muffler vs the CL63/65 or S63 muffler in regards to sound/tone. I don't want to waste time and money installing a CL63/65 or S63 muffler only to find out that it sound exactly the same as the stock CL55 mufflers. I also don't want to buy a pair of C63 mufflers only to find out that the exhaust shop cannot make them fit my car. Figured I start here and see if anyone has done mod to their car rather than start spending money that I'll end up regretting once everything is done.