CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Supercharger pulley bearing replacement (help!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 03:12 PM
QP3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55 AMG
Question Supercharger pulley bearing replacement (help!)

Following any number of online YouTube tutorials showing how to do this, I was able to remove the pulley, press out the old bearing and install the new one.

However, when I pulled the pulley using a breaker bar and unscrewed the retaining bolt, the washer with the two holes for the registration pins fell off and disappeared somewhere underneath the engine. Worse is that both the pins were sheared off. See pictures.

2 questions.

1. How can I replace the pins? Are they loose, such that I could pull what's left out and replace them, or are they a part of the clutch assembly? (I'll keep looking for the washer or just buy a replacement.)

2. Can I drive the car with the supercharger disabled? It's not doing anything under 2700 rpms anyway, right? Or would my air/fuel mixture be completely off with it disconnected? Possibly there's some oil flow or lubrication happening even when it's not engaged?

See pics. Any suggestions (or moral support) are welcome!

Came off pretty smoothly. But with a problem...

Pins were sheared clean off. I used a breaker bar, and don't think that was the cause, but am not sure. The washer that fits over this fell and I haven't yet found it. Will try fishing with a magnet.

Sheared off alignment pins. The washer fell before I could catch it.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:13 PM
QP3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55 AMG
The pulley is cleaned and the new bearing in place. All of that went smoothly. Got the pulley back on the shaft using the oven to heat it up first.

Spent an hour with a magnet and light trying to find that washer that goes between the pulley bearing and the bolt, and haven't been able to find it. It fell straight down, but is nowhere to be found. Was unable to remove the remainder of the pins left in the shaft either.

Any idea where I can find a spare washer? I don't know how essential the pins are, if they are involved in driving the compressor or simply an aid to mounting the washer and locking bolt.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:53 AM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
You might consider posting this in an E-class forum as there would be a greater number of eyes on it. W211 or W212. Not sure which had the M113K engines.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 770 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
W211 AMG sub-forum.
The following users liked this post:
mbwillgrubs (05-16-2024)