CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Used CL55's..Anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005 | 07:01 AM

'06 Range Rover, '06 M5, '66 2CV....I wanna SMART ForTwo Conv.
Question Used CL55's..Anything I should know?

I've got a new CLS55 on order, but the wife who will be the primary driver, has always had a hankering for a CL55. So now we are considering getting one over the CLS. I told her that I wouldn't spend the extra 20-30 grand over the CLS price for a new CL, so if she wants one it'll have to be a used '03 or '04. She was OK with that!

Anything I should know about used '03 and '04 CL55's before I start looking around?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:06 AM

2005 SL 500
Ask for indisputable evidence that the car has been serviced by official Mercedes-Benz Service centers. Without this, I would not buy a used high end automobile (heck any car). An incredible number of people bring there cars to special places to have them serviced so there is no record of it. Then when they have 30000 miles on the car and want to trade it in, they have the counter moved moved back to 6 or 7 thousand miles so that they can get substantially more money on the trade in. Dealers cannot detect if the mile counter has been turned back. I've even heard of cases where the dealers turn the counter back so that they can get more money. Make sure you go to a reputable dealer. This is such an incredible problem. I can't begin to tell you.

Again, make sure that the car was serviced by an official Mecedes-Benz service center. If it was, they will have a computer record of it. If not, go the other way quickly. There would be a good chance that you will be paying an extra 10 grand for a car that is already worn down.

This is what I would do if I were in you situation.

Good luck Reefminis.
Old 01-02-2005 | 07:23 PM

NSX
Chris just how is it possible to turn back a digital odometer on a car whose computers are so sophisticated and all talk to each other? I think this is a near impossible task unless you know something I do not.

Also I think when you run a carfax any irregularities show up. You can't get a state inspection and go back later with less milage, it will flag quickly. Most CL's are well taken care of low milage cars whose owners already own sevral other cars. Last of all I cannot IMAGINE a Mercedes dealer doing what you are suggesting. If they get caught that is serious business and I doubt any dealership would be willing to risk that for a few thousand dollars. I just don't see it.
Old 01-02-2005 | 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
In 2003 mileage is stored in more than one place. The EIS stores mileage as well now.
Old 01-03-2005 | 07:03 AM

'06 Range Rover, '06 M5, '66 2CV....I wanna SMART ForTwo Conv.
Many thanks! I've dealt with the same salesman for the last 15 years and he has never done me wrong on any of the cars he has gotten for me.

Are there any specific maintenence or equipment issues with either the '03 or '04 CL55's that I should look out for? Are there any differences in the specification or maintenece that should make me want an '04 over an '03?
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:26 PM

NSX
7 speed trans in '04 if I am not mistaken.

Your major options are:

Parktronic
Distronic
Keyless go
Tire Pressure Monitoring system
Ventilated seats
Electronic trunk closer
Sport Package (standard on the CL55)

All the other "options" they usually say the car has is standard.