CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL65 misfire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
I use Techron every two months to assist with carbon build-up on my cars and it seems to help...
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
Originally Posted by abiazis
I use Techron every two months to assist with carbon build-up on my cars and it seems to help...
Yah, I'm going to Techron up.. It's helped before.

With the Tune, it's running even richer..

Wouldn't the coil pack need to be replaced only if it fails on a particular cylinder consistently?

Misfires on random cylinders when your gunning it (not every time) just seems like a fuel or carbon build up issues..

Last edited by NRL; 03-26-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM

my experience

I had that and it was the ignition module that regulates the coil packs, etc.....I thought it was the coils for sure........but NOT.......
Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 PM
NRL

I've looked everwhere for that Ignition Control Module.. was it one for both or one on each side?

Anyone know which part it is? The only parts I keep locating is the Coils themselves and the Transformer, one on each side.

I break out in hives when I go to the dealership.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Part number 1-000-150-02-58..........ignition module - there is one that sits on top of the engine.......they may call it voltage regulator in MB speak.......that was replaced on my car for a discounted cost of $ 785.00..........
Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
NRL

Part number 1-000-150-02-58..........ignition module - there is one that sits on top of the engine.......they may call it voltage regulator in MB speak.......that was replaced on my car for a discounted cost of $ 785.00..........
Thanks,
That part looks easier to replace compared to the coils..
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 CL65
http://www.parts.com/parts/2005/MERC...nt=Transformer

I wonder if that's the part? They call it the ignition transformer. Looks like it takes 5 minutes to change out.

Last edited by cjcalo; 03-26-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
NRL

Originally Posted by cjcalo
http://www.parts.com/parts/2005/MERC...nt=Transformer

I wonder if that's the part? They call it the ignition transformer. Looks like it takes 5 minutes to change out.
yes, it does doesn't it. That would be awesome if that was it.

I think I'll work on cleaning out the carbon with some injection cleaner, then if that doesn't work, the transformer, then the coils + spark plugs.

Meanwhile, I'll try not to lead foot it with this new Tune
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 PM

2005 CL65
Originally Posted by NRL
yes, it does doesn't it. That would be awesome if that was it.

I think I'll work on cleaning out the carbon with some injection cleaner, then if that doesn't work, the transformer, then the coils + spark plugs.

Meanwhile, I'll try not to lead foot it with this new Tune
Whose tune did you go with? I just sent my ecu/tcu to Speedriven today.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
I had a problem starting cold, my 65 would miss just a bit and set a code, po300 and po305 etc. having spent some time in the engine bay looking around always was shocked how hot the ignition module got during a heat soak. So I decided to remove the engine cover and open the hood every time I shut down in the garage. no more misfire etc. ::??? who knows
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
NRL

Eurocharged. Really happy with the ECU/TCU tune power wise.

I don't think it has anything to do with the tune. It's just magnifying the issues I occassionally got when I switched fuel blends before the tune. Or it might just be the Transformer since it's sometimes random misfires at full throttle and not to a particular coil pack.. PO300 Random

I looked up the steps involved in WIS/ASRA and it's really straight forward for the Transformer. I ordered a brand new one anyways for the future, $590.00.

I think the next one that's easiest may be the CPS.. Then the coil packs and spark plugs.

I added some Techron cleaner yesterday and topped off the oil, (it was off by 2qts, added 1qt and it said OK) and it hasn't CEL popped yet.

Last edited by NRL; 03-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Unhappy Oh.....****tttt

My car misfired today when I floored it to pass a very slow car in merging traffic........returned to normal after a few starts, but CEL on....

Code PO300, cylinders 11,12...........check engine light......

I have replaced plugs, ignition module (voltage), map sensor that was cracked, etc.....coil packs checked out okay with resistance test........that was last August and car has run great since........oh well......

Went to dealer and will book appointment for back pressure test of cats which checked out okay in August.......wanted them to see the CEL on....only way they will honor federal/manufacturer warranty on cats.....

Also.......some ABC fluid on the floor under passenger front strut........confirmed........leaking.......Easy Care warranty should cover.........except for $ 100 deductible....

Not a great day.........car parked until strut comes in..................once repaired by indie on to the misfire again.........at the dealer......

Last edited by abiazis; 03-27-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
You'll be very happy
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM

2005 CL65
Originally Posted by NRL
Eurocharged. Really happy with the ECU/TCU tune power wise.

I don't think it has anything to do with the tune. It's just magnifying the issues I occassionally got when I switched fuel blends before the tune. Or it might just be the Transformer since it's sometimes random misfires at full throttle and not to a particular coil pack.. PO300 Random

I looked up the steps involved in WIS/ASRA and it's really straight forward for the Transformer. I ordered a brand new one anyways for the future, $590.00.

I think the next one that's easiest may be the CPS.. Then the coil packs and spark plugs.

I added some Techron cleaner yesterday and topped off the oil, (it was off by 2qts, added 1qt and it said OK) and it hasn't CEL popped yet.
Hope its just the transformer that would be an easy fix. Did you have some issues with switching fuels before you got it tuned? I heard that its best to immediately reset the ecu after switching fuels otherwise some issues may arise (especially when going from higher to lower octane).

My car misfired today when I floored it to pass a very slow car in merging traffic........returned to normal after a few starts, but CEL on....

Code PO300, cylinders 11,12...........check engine light......

I have replaced plugs, ignition module (voltage), map sensor that was cracked, etc.....coil packs checked out okay with resistance test........that was last August and car has run great since........oh well......

Went to dealer and will book appointment for back pressure test of cats which checked out okay in August.......wanted them to see the CEL on....only way they will honor federal/manufacturer warranty on cats.....

Also.......some ABC fluid on the floor under passenger front strut........confirmed........leaking.......Easy Care warranty should cover.........except for $ 100 deductible....

Not a great day.........car parked until strut comes in..................once repaired by indie on to the misfire again.........at the dealer......
Does the car drop down when the strut leaks?
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
You'll be very happy
Thanks I'm looking forward to it

Last edited by cjcalo; 03-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Drop down ?

I lost about a half a quart of fluid.......the car did not drop......

The ABC warning came on after a few days of driving......

I will park car until the repair now........have the indie do the job under warranty.

Then the dealer does misfire diagnosis and repair as it now be narrowed down to the cats, which the indies can't do under warranty - has to go to dealer for warranty coverage on emissions........
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
NRL

Just to confirm, the CEL has be on when you pull up to service? or does it have to have a specific OBCD PO error?

I saw somewhere that if it's not a CAT specific PO error, it's not the CATs, true?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM

In order for them to start the process of exploring if it is the cats and warranty covered the CEL has to be on.......this happened with my Porsche also, but I knew the dealer better and they imagined that it was on wink wink......the 2 Mercedes dealers would not wink wink....

My car, also, hopefully, has the cat code specific error, but if not they can still do back pressure test to determine if they are not okay...........

It seems to misfire only when I floor it and gear runs out to its maximum......
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 PM
NRL

Hope its just the transformer that would be an easy fix. Did you have some issues with switching fuels before you got it tuned? I heard that its best to immediately reset the ecu after switching fuels otherwise some issues may arise (especially when going from higher to lower octane).
Yes, I was getting the same PO300, 3XXX error when I switched to 100 octane and/or back down. After doing the reset (ECU/TCU trick reset), it hasnt popped the CEL.

Since the last CEL pop this weekend, I put in the Techron Fuel Injection cleaner, and its just liking it; no CEL yet.

I mixed the 1/2 tank 100 octane with Chevron Techron Super Unleaded just in case since I dumped the whole bottle of Techron Cleaner in.

This would be the second time I added Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner, last time was last year when it seemed to idle funny (no errors) and when I gave it the Techron Cleaner it loved it, back to normal.

Been Gunning it trying to get it to pop but all I get now is the ESP triangle light, which is a good thing punching it (yes, its fun with ESP off too).

Just recalling the last few CELs, it seems it does it when you floor it and then you have to abort quickly..pop.
And also at a point when the transmission learns the wrong shift points (when your just putting around more then driving it hard) after awhile.

Doing the ECU/TCU reset trick resetting the transmission shift points wakes it up and seems to help; no CEL yet..

It's like it knows it's getting an new Transformer(in the mail) transplant and its behaving.. lol
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM
NRL

Update:

Well, I got the transformer, new in box. Parts.com

Maybe I'll swap it out, but I haven't had any misfires since added the Techron Concentrate and running on Chevron Techron super unleaded..

Just wondering if anyone has thought of adding a fan on top of the transformer to keep it relatively cooler?

Starting my new Coil Packs / Spark Plugs Piggy bank now..for the future.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Update on my trunk issue - 6 months okay

I am taking mine in tomorrow.......to the dealer because indie can't do cat warranty....

Pulled a P0300 code with cylinders 11 and 12 ,which is the same side as last fall when I replaced air temperature intercooler motor and ignition module - voltage transformer. I also had 24 new plugs put in. Also cracked MAP sensor replaced.

At that time the coil packs and cats were okay........if the cat is bad I need it replaced before federal emissions warranty runs out.....

I only get misfires on full throttle acceleration and this happened this time after transmission took too long to shift in Comfort mode and I backed off fast - had to avoid a car merging in at me when I punched it and let off after avoiding....

I suspect it is a coil pack on the one side where I keep getting misfires, which everyone says has been okay the last two times it was resistance tested, etc.....update to follow.......
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 AM

2005 CL65
ugghhh I am the new culprit. I get a CEL and code po303 consistently when I do pulls its misfiring on cylinder 3. It recently came on soon after start up and just putting around town. But it will always come on during a pull and throw a CEL. I don't get any other code (yet). What could this be, the coil pack?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 AM

Coil pack most likely on that side.........possibly a cat, but not likely......did you change the voltage transformer (ignition module) ?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:03 AM

2005 CL65
Coil pack most likely on that side.........possibly a cat, but not likely......did you change the voltage transformer (ignition module) ?
No I have not changed the transformer yet.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 AM
NRL

Well, I got started in removing the ignition transformer..

Just in awe of the engine with good lights, and matching in up to the diagrams in WIS.
See, now I have the excuse to start checking out the engine compartment, other then changing out the air filters and oil filter / oil..

So I noticed a difference on the part#'s on the right and left coil packs. Noticed that one superced the other older#.
The older part# coil pack is the one with all the faults. All on the right coil pack.
I'm calling old bad coil pack when it get hot syndrome.
The old P/N`s were :
A275 150 04 80 For the R/H side and A275 150 05 80 for the L/H.
The new P/N`s are:
A275 150 06 80 for the right and A275 150 07 80 for the left.

Man, that ignition transformer gets super hot.. I see possible scorch marks on the top side.. I want to add a heat sink and fan on top of it.
I'll swap it anyways.

Should I just do one coil and see how she runs? Or start completely fresh with 24 new spark plugs and two new coils?

Last edited by NRL; 04-10-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM

coils

While you are in there, might as well do both, especially if misfires have shown up on both sides, etc....even if only one side, I would do it.....

Wonder if new part numbers/parts are upgrades to eliminate the coil pack weakness on these cars.........anyone know if they were upgraded?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CL65 misfire