CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

HOW TO: -10c Cooling system mod ($30) Best way to lower temps!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
550HP+ ///AMG CL55 Kompressor, Ducati 916bp, Yamaha R1 WSBK replica
Stop giving out incorrect information.

EXPLAIN WHY driving at 70MPH on the freeway for hours on end will NOT OVERCOOL the engine, but running a computer controlled cooling fan, (that does not activate unless 80*c is reached) CAN OVERCOOL the engine?!

BOTH SITUATIONS have a lot of air passing over the engine. (the fan, drastically less)
How come, when the electric fan pushes air over the radiator, you say it's going to OVERCOOL then engine?
But the air (and alot more of it) passing over the radiator when driving at prolonged high speed is PERFECTLY FINE.

Your logic is so flawed.

FACT:

AMG engineers agreed that a setting should allow for an ADJUSTMENT RANGE. from +2,+1 0 - 1-2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 +9 to -10C.

That's a lot of range. If there was ONLY ONE PERFECT SETTING then it would be LOCKED IN, and not able to adjust it at all.

You have no idea how this mods works in the real world, because if you did, you'd be lying, saying all this stuff that you did. Right now, you're just ignorant of the fundamentals of operation when making this setting change, even though I've explained over and over and over! REREAD what I wrote! I don't like having to repeat things.

AT NIGHT (read: cool outside temperatures) the computer controlled fans DO NOT switch on!

During warm up, and under light, normal operation THEY DO NOT SWITCH ON.

They act in the EXACT SAME manner that they normally would, without this setting change, only this just moves the THRESHOLD. When the temps creep over 80*, they turn on.

SIMPLE. Stop being argumentative for no reason.

READ THIS.

Last edited by nidyanazo; 01-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
I can tell you that on a warm summer night the fans do come on, and even under light normal operation.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OCKlasse
I can tell you that on a warm summer night the fans do come on, and even under light normal operation.
Good. The mod is working as intended then. When I said:

"AT NIGHT (read: cool outside temperatures) the computer controlled fans DO NOT switch on!"

I made sure to specify cool temperature nights.. Warm summer nights, then yes, they should be coming on, if it's warm enough to raise the coolant temp up a little above 80*c
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
In my opinion; MB & AMG Engineers will NOT put the temp. optional if they knows it's a risky or generally Affect,,

This temp. mod. is great & reasonable as an optional of the heat range....

ZAYED,,
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by nidyanazo
let me explain it in a simple manner to you since the whole concept seems to escape you.

you are turning the fans on at lower water temps

lower water temp (overall 10 degrees in this case) results in lower oil temp results in lower block (heads in particular) temp.

lower heads temp (in your case 10 degrees) will impact combustion efficiency.

the only way you will regain this lost efficiency is if at optimal efficiency temps you have other ignition problems (ie timing retard)- which you should not have if your car functions as expected. in that case yes, you lower the temps, the timing gets advanced again and you are making more power. but this means something is wrong somewhere.

the fan temp adjustment in das is there for field adjustments for vehicles in extremely hot climates (read - arab world). under those conditions the cooling system becomes very inertial and the temp upswings need to "intercepted" early by the fan. for any other weather all you are doing is running the engine at lower than its "sweet spot" temps. this results in higher emissions, worsen engine response, reduced power and increased fuel consumption.

hope this helps.

Last edited by alx; 01-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM
MBworld Guru

I'd like to think normal operating coolant temp should be around 80 or so. Before the -10 mod, my car almost consistently ran closer to 100 than it did to 80. Now, it runs right around 80, which is where I like it, and which is where I see NA Benzes that produce much less heat than our supercharged ones.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd like to think normal operating coolant temp should be around 80 or so. Before the -10 mod, my car almost consistently ran closer to 100 than it did to 80. Now, it runs right around 80, which is where I like it, and which is where I see NA Benzes that produce much less heat than our supercharged ones.
90 which is 195 which loosely translates into 205-210 for oil which is the optimal oil temp for the heads.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
This is the best discussion thread I have seen. Both of you guys bring up great points. Thanks for all of the info.

R.K.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by radride
This is the best discussion thread I have seen. Both of you guys bring up great points. Thanks for all of the info.

R.K.
AGREEEEED.....

ZAYED,,
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alx
let me explain it in a simple manner to you since the whole concept seems to escape you.

you are turning the fans on at lower water temps

lower water temp (overall 10 degrees in this case) results in lower oil temp results in lower block (heads in particular) temp.

lower heads temp (in your case 10 degrees) will impact combustion efficiency.

the only way you will regain this lost efficiency is if at optimal efficiency temps you have other ignition problems (ie timing retard)- which you should not have if your car functions as expected. in that case yes, you lower the temps, the timing gets advanced again and you are making more power. but this means something is wrong somewhere.

the fan temp adjustment in das is there for field adjustments for vehicles in extremely hot climates (read - arab world). under those conditions the cooling system becomes very inertial and the temp upswings need to "intercepted" early by the fan. for any other weather all you are doing is running the engine at lower than its "sweet spot" temps. this results in higher emissions, worsen engine response, reduced power and increased fuel consumption.

hope this helps.
No, that did not help.

You keep changing the numbers you cite, and mixing up your statements.
That makes you appear confused, and it's hard to take someone seriously who is inconsistent.

Let me explain how it ACTUALLY works, given that I have experience with this modification, and you do not.

Neither the fans, nor high speed driving can lower the temps enough to harm the engine. Maybe if you live in alaska, or norway and drive in the winter then there is the possibility the engine will never come up to operating temperature. But then, even with this mod activated as I've shown, the fans can sense the outside temperature as being too cold, and WILL NOT TURN ON.

This is not a setting which tells the fan to always run, regardless of the engine and outside temp. The computer takes this all into the equation.

In our temperate climate, (~50-90*f or so, year round) this changes and (for performance) optimizes the fan setting threshold. The setting is there to be adjusted, so you can fine tune the car for the particular climate. I choose to compensate for the added heat of the supercharger compressing the air, and help lower the temperature to the lowest possible.

In addition to my secondary intercooler's liquid to air heat exchanger I've installed, along with the uprated intercooler pump I've fitted, this fan modification continues to draw air across the heat exchangers, thus helping to lower the intake air temps.

If anything, the ECU will see the temps are cooler, and allow MORE TIMING to be set, and thus giving an INCREASE in power.

A trifecta of performance enhancing and heat reducing properties, with the simple change of a setting

If you think oil is better hot, why would the damn car have an OIL COOLER fitted by the radiator?!

These cars are meant to run at 80*c, and they love it.

Since this is too difficult for you to understand, and you have no experience how the settings work and affect the car, I'd hope you can stop posting incorrect information now.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I agree.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Neither the fans, nor high speed driving can lower the temps enough to harm the engine.
i can safely ignore everything you wrote after that little gem you wrote above.

please stop.

and go educate yourself about optimal power-wise coolant and oil temps. plenty is written on the subject.

Last edited by alx; 01-10-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by alx
i can safely ignore everything you wrote after that little gem you wrote above.

please stop.

and go educate yourself about optimal power-wise coolant and oil temps.

You failed to answer my original question:

EXPLAIN WHY driving at 70MPH on the freeway for hours on end will NOT OVERCOOL the engine, but running a computer controlled cooling fan, (that does not activate unless 80*c is reached) CAN OVERCOOL the engine?!

The fan creates WAY LESS air flow. And is set by the ECU to only come on at the right times. The conditions that the AMG engineers programmed.

These cars are designed, built and tested in a country where they have no sped limits on some roads. Extended cruising at high speeds will not create "too much air, that harms the engine".

Get a clue.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
I wish I knew wthell you guys were talking about...

time to head to the library lol.....
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

You failed to answer my original question:

The fan creates WAY LESS air flow. And is set by the ECU to only come on at the right times. The conditions that the AMG engineers programmed.

These cars are designed, built and tested in a country where they have no sped limits on some roads. Extended cruising at high speeds will not create "too much air, that harms the engine".

Get a clue.
this post only shows you really have no idea what is happening under the hood.

if you were to log data as you drive you would know that in normal weather (say 70 degrees) the fans run almost all the time at various speeds even when cruising at 70 mph on the highway. the air flow through the radiator is calculated to be just short of being sufficient to maintain 190 coolant temps on its own. the fans are the ones that give that extra cooling allowing to control the coolant temp. hence the multi-stage fan as opposed to simple on/off.

the fan flow is actually very significant even when compared to the natural flow at say 70 mph. instructing the fans to turn on sooner result in lower overall temp of coolant which result in lower oil temp which results in cooler charge largely negated by all the things i wrote in my previous post. the net result is more often than not the engine losing power.

you asked about the oil cooler- the oil cooler has mechanical valve which on the w215 i believe is set at 230 or even higher (i have to look it up). so dont even go there.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alx
this post only shows you really have no idea what is happening under the hood.

if you were to log data as you drive you would know that in normal weather (say 70 degrees) the fans run almost all the time at various speeds even when cruising at 70 mph on the highway. the air flow through the radiator is calculated to be just short of being sufficient to maintain 190 coolant temps on its own. the fans are the ones that give that extra cooling allowing to control the coolant temp. hence the multi-stage fan as opposed to simple on/off.

the fan flow is actually very significant even when compared to the natural flow at say 70 mph. instructing the fans to turn on sooner result in lower overall temp of coolant which result in lower oil temp which results in cooler charge largely negated by all the things i wrote in my previous post. the net result is more often than not the engine losing power.

you asked about the oil cooler- the oil cooler has mechanical valve which on the w215 i believe is set at 230 or even higher (i have to look it up). so dont even go there.
Oh buddy, I know exactly what's happening.

When the temperature is cooler, the car will perform better. More timing can SAFELY be dialed in by the adaptive ECU.

More timing=more combustion pressure.

I agree with you that higher coolant temps do cause higher oil temperature, but that translates to lower oil absolute viscosity= lowered protection in the critical engine areas such as the bearings, camshaft etc.. Including the piston oil sprayers.

Additionally, heightened engine temperatures can also decrease the internal engine clearances as different metals expand at different rates and temps.

"80-100C is normal operating and is within MB spec". But, running at the higher end of this spectrum will acellerate wear on the plastic parts and wires.

Quite many owners of older mercs owners report wire harnesses failing- from excessive heat. hmmm...

I wonder if high heat is not so great for our performance cars, that generate alot of extra heat, via the kompressor?

Yes the oil cooler is there to PREVENT excessive oil temperature.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by alx

your car has a 190 thermostat from the factory and you are not dropping your coolant temp below that regardless of the fan duty.

So what are you arguing about then, if you say it's not possible to lower the temp below that, even with this mod??

FYI, It's actually a 187*f OEM thermostat.

You really contradict yourself a lot.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM
MBworld Guru

Spend your time figuring out how to turn off the annoying speed volume adjusting in SDS instead of arguing in this thread
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Banned

I'm done here.. It's back to working on projects and I'm about to post more how to threads..
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Spend your time figuring out how to turn off the annoying speed volume adjusting in SDS instead of arguing in this thread

YES PLEASE!!!!

R.K.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm done here.. It's back to working on projects and I'm about to post more how to threads..
Thankss for your Effort & value info., & alx as well,,

APPRECIATED....

ZAYED,,
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion

forgot where i found the info, but in the overhead console control of your w215 are a bunch of wires, find the skinniest pair of wires under your console and disconnect them (some people say cut, but i noticed i could just disconnect the jack) have only had the volume jump up once when the car wasnt on and i was playing the radio (i have 2 12 inch subs in my trunk)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 AM
MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by ctravis595
forgot where i found the info, but in the overhead console control of your w215 are a bunch of wires, find the skinniest pair of wires under your console and disconnect them (some people say cut, but i noticed i could just disconnect the jack) have only had the volume jump up once when the car wasnt on and i was playing the radio (i have 2 12 inch subs in my trunk)
That's random...which console are you referring to? Where the moonroof switch is?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
If we're talking about the same issue with the volume being sporadic after adding an aftermarket set up then yeah there's a microphone somewhere deep inside the overhead console that controls lights and ****. Both light covers pop off with slight pressure pushed towards the front of the car. Then there's 4 tabs that hold the overhead console in place. The smallest two wires will be exposed by some sort of plug, I just pulled them out of the plug and have not had issues in at least 3 months since I did it
Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ctravis595
If we're talking about the same issue with the volume being sporadic after adding an aftermarket set up then yeah there's a microphone somewhere deep inside the overhead console that controls lights and ****. Both light covers pop off with slight pressure pushed towards the front of the car. Then there's 4 tabs that hold the overhead console in place. The smallest two wires will be exposed by some sort of plug, I just pulled them out of the plug and have not had issues in at least 3 months since I did it

Sure but now your voice control module won't work. I enjoy having bluetooth in the car.

R.K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: -10c Cooling system mod ($30) Best way to lower temps!