CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

abc dip stick lost in resrvoir

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
abc dip stick lost in resrvoir

today i was checking my abc fluid and the long dipstick for the suspension broke off the cap and fell in the reservoir. i took the filter out of the abc tank and tried fishing the broken dip stick out of the reservoir with a piece of solid wire. couldn't seem to make contact with the dip stick after numerous tries. does anyone know if the dislodged dip stick in the abc reservoir will cause any problems in the abc system while running the car. any ideas on getting it out?
thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
I'm not aware of any type of screen in the tank outlet to prevent debris from getting to the pump, but I have never removed the tank so I can't say for sure. I think I'd be more worried that there might a fragment of the dipstick that will find its way to the pump and beyond though. If you can't get it out I think I would remove the tank. Do you have one of the small parts grabber tools that is like a log cable and has 4 fingers that spread out from one end when you push the button on the other? They are cheap to buy, but can be priceless to own. A trip to any tool shop or auto parts store to buy one would be easier and cheaper than pulling the tank.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
I don't remember if the dipstick is of plastic or metal. If it is out of metal maybe a bar magnet can help you, to get it out.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
it's plastic and it shouldn't be a problem unless it breaks into smaller pieces. Get some really long tweezers or a pair of chopsticks will suffice.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
i've been driving the car for a week now with no issues. the whole dipstick fell in. i tried hard wire, forceps and the four finger parts grabber and have not been able to locate the dipstick even when i remove the filter and go in through there. i just ordered long forceps along with a new dipstick and will try again, but hopefully things will continue as is and it wont be a problem.
thanks to all. i'll let you know if and how i get it out.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
okay, i'm happy to say the problem is solved easily and inexpensively!!! i purchased 18"and 14"forceps on ebay for $16.00 shipped. tried going through the dipstick hole, but no luck. removed the cap and filter and tried again. it took the 18" forceps to get it. there is a well in the front side of the tank that goes down about 16". tried in there and got it on the second try. the four finger removal tool wouldn't work because the fingers aren't wide enough to encircle the dip stick. hope this helps others. simple and cheap. btw, i don't think the dipstick would have ever caused a problem, but i'm so happy i got it out. also the rubber cover on the new dipstick is much more pliable than the old leading me to believe that the old dipstick caps harden with age and engine temperature. it might be worth getting a new more pliable dipstick so this doesn't happen to you.
thanks for all your responses.
hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Dr Matt (02-11-2017)