CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

RaceHorse CL65 Can Start or Stop a Heart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
RaceHorse CL65 Can Start or Stop a Heart

This'll be short and to the point: This morning RaceHorse and I met with his 05 CL65 and my 06 CL55. We chatted on my recently installed Yellow Speed Sport coil-over suspension and the development of both our CL's. Our meeting was to culminate in to each sampling the others sport driven ride. The whobbly/vibrating non hub centric Rennen wheels inhibited this. We'll meet again with the to be installed MMR FS01 hub centric forged wheels so that he can sample my 06 CL55 coil-over ride characteristics and engine/trans. mods. His garage queen CL65 has only 65k miles, and looks fresh inside and out. My 155k mile under privileged (outdoor stored) CL55, though washed early in the week, had rain induced road grime. Yeah, we chatted about our CL AMG experiences.... The grand finale of our meeting was the RaceHorse CL65 AMG ride. We took the entrance ramp on to the local four lane interstate, traffic was light, at approx. 50 mph, he nailed it...700 whp and 900 lb/ft of torque V12 TT slang shot the 4600 lb. monster with such veracity that the scenery came and went like the stars rushing past the Millennial Falcon going in to hyper drive (Star Wars). The immense torque pushed then nailed me to the seat. Even with a Quaife LSD, there was some wheel spinning from start to 80 mph. In a flash we were at 135 mph (this CL65 does the 1/4 in 10.69 seconds and tops 210+ mph). This "happening" of violent acceleration and speed was amidst sport luxury decor and silky smooth ABC suspension dynamics. During hard acceleration, the exhaust note wasn't at all loud, in fact, I thought it sounded more like a high powered vacuum cleaner, lol. My CL55 is so much louder and guttural. Now a confession of which I conveyed to RaceHorse; the voracity of acceleration coupled with quick to 135 mph scared the **** out of me. My right hand gripped the door handle, left hand the seat, both feet planted hard to the floor board, prepared for the worst. Having realized I survived, I began a nervous laugh mixed with expletives after each run. RaceHorse knows his car and is a very good sport driver. My 600 chp/690 lb/ft trq. CL55 is quick and fast, and more power mods are in the works, however, this CL65 is an entirely different quick and fast, lol! A full bolt-on CL55 Kompressor would need a 100 shot of NOS to come anywhere close to a modded CL65. Those with a modded Mercedes V12 TT, and those who've its beaten will certainly vouch. These guys are probably bored while being at the top of the food chain. Camaro ZL1, Hellcats, CTS-V, ZO6 Vettes, Porsche Turbos, GTS 35, Ferrari, Lambos, even super bikes, can be prey.

Last edited by principledchiro; 06-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by principledchiro
This'll be short and to the point: This morning RaceHorse and I met with his 05 CL65 and my 06 CL55. We chatted on my recently installed Yellow Speed Sport coil-over suspension and the development of both our CL's. Our meeting was to culminate in to each sampling the others sport driven ride. The whobbly/vibrating non hub centric Rennen wheels inhibited this. We'll meet again with the to be installed MMR FS01 hub centric forged wheels so that he can sample my 06 CL55 coil-over ride characteristics and engine/trans. mods. His garage queen CL65 has only 65k miles, and looks fresh inside and out. My 155k mile under privileged (outdoor stored) CL55, though washed early in the week, had rain induced road grime. Yeah, we chatted about our CL AMG experiences.... The grand finale of our meeting was the RaceHorse CL65 AMG ride. We took the entrance ramp on to the local four lane interstate, traffic was light, at approx. 50 mph, he nailed it. 750+ whp and 900+ lb/ft of torque V12 TT slang shot the 4600 lb. monster with such veracity that the scenery came and went like the stars rushing past the Millennial Falcon going in to hyper drive (Star Wars). Even with a Quaife LSD, there was some wheel spinning from start to 80 mph. In a flash we were at 135 mph (this CL65 does the 1/4 in 10.55 seconds). This "happening" was of violent acceleration and speed but while experiencing sport luxury decor and silky smooth ABC suspension dynamics. During hard acceleration, the exhaust note was not loud at all, in fact, I thought it sounded more like a high powered vacuum cleaner, lol. My CL55 is so much louder and guttural. Now a confession of which I conveyed to RaceHorse; the voracity of acceleration coupled with quick to 135 mph scared the **** out of me. Having realized I survived, I began a nervous laugh after each run. My 600 chp/690 lb/ft trq. CL55 is quick and fast, however, this CL65 is an entirely different quick and fast, lol! A full bolt-on CL55 Kompressor would need a 200 shot of NOS to come anywhere near close to a modded CL65. Those with a Mercedes V12 TT will certainly vouch. These guys are probably bored while being at the top of the food chain. Camaro ZL1, Hellcats, ZO6 Vettes, Porsche Turbos, GTS 35, even super bikes can be prey.
Well said !!!!!!
These cars are amazing.
Mine is a 65 but it's like Kobe Bryant, M.J. a has been, over the hill.
I have 211,000 miles on mine and it is due for a major transplant
The following users liked this post:
principledchiro (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by driveability
Well said !!!!!!
These cars are amazing.
211k miles? wow tell me more about what was required to make it go that long!
Old 06-05-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
211k miles? wow tell me more about what was required to make it go that long!
I had to replace the coils, engine and trans mounts, one of the three accelerometers, A radiator, a fuel pump 4 fuel filters, two main ABC lines &
ABC pump, 3 sets of spark plugs, 12 fuel injectors, water pump, all of the Accumulators. I'm sure theres more but doesn't come to mind ?

Oil changes at 5k, never touched the trans fluid at all !

No engine or trans repairs, no strut issues at all
Got it with 60k and always keep the rpm below 3k soft on the throttle until the engine, transmission and rear end is warmed up.

OH Forgot something, I've likely held the throttle wide open for less than 60 seconds the entire time I've owned the car and no one else has ever driven the car. My other car was much faster so it was the one I hammered then I sold it off

Old 06-05-2017, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by principledchiro
This'll be short and to the point: This morning RaceHorse and I met with his 05 CL65 and my 06 CL55. We chatted on my recently installed Yellow Speed Sport coil-over suspension and the development of both our CL's. Our meeting was to culminate in to each sampling the others sport driven ride. The whobbly/vibrating non hub centric Rennen wheels inhibited this. We'll meet again with the to be installed MMR FS01 hub centric forged wheels so that he can sample my 06 CL55 coil-over ride characteristics and engine/trans. mods. His garage queen CL65 has only 65k miles, and looks fresh inside and out. My 155k mile under privileged (outdoor stored) CL55, though washed early in the week, had rain induced road grime. Yeah, we chatted about our CL AMG experiences.... The grand finale of our meeting was the RaceHorse CL65 AMG ride. We took the entrance ramp on to the local four lane interstate, traffic was light, at approx. 50 mph, he nailed it. 750+ whp and 900+ lb/ft of torque V12 TT slang shot the 4600 lb. monster with such veracity that the scenery came and went like the stars rushing past the Millennial Falcon going in to hyper drive (Star Wars). Even with a Quaife LSD, there was some wheel spinning from start to 80 mph. In a flash we were at 135 mph (this CL65 does the 1/4 in 10.55 seconds). This "happening" was of violent acceleration and speed but while experiencing sport luxury decor and silky smooth ABC suspension dynamics. During hard acceleration, the exhaust note was not loud at all, in fact, I thought it sounded more like a high powered vacuum cleaner, lol. My CL55 is so much louder and guttural. Now a confession of which I conveyed to RaceHorse; the voracity of acceleration coupled with quick to 135 mph scared the **** out of me. Having realized I survived, I began a nervous laugh after each run. My 600 chp/690 lb/ft trq. CL55 is quick and fast, however, this CL65 is an entirely different quick and fast, lol! A full bolt-on CL55 Kompressor would need a 200 shot of NOS to come anywhere near close to a modded CL65. Those with a Mercedes V12 TT will certainly vouch. These guys are probably bored while being at the top of the food chain. Camaro ZL1, Hellcats, ZO6 Vettes, Porsche Turbos, GTS 35, even super bikes can be prey.
Thanks for the write up, It was nice to meet you as well. I'm glad I could share some of the fun. I like your description which was difficult for you to explain as you were trying to catch your breath from excitement. Just for the record it just broke 60k miles and my best quarter is a 10.69. Who knows maybe in 5k miles I will be running a 10.55. LOL. I'd say my WHP is probably a little under 700. After 8 years of ownership the car continues to impress me, I'm not bored yet, still big smiles.

As for Driveability, there is a reason you don't hold down the pedal at WOT for 60 seconds. It only takes about 30 seconds to run a top speed mile.

Last edited by RaceHorse; 06-05-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:48 AM

2006 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Thanks for the write up, It was nice to meet you as well. I'm glad I could share some of the fun. I like your description which was difficult for you to explain as you were trying to catch your breath from excitement. Just for the record it just broke 60k miles and my best quarter is a 10.69. Who knows maybe in 5k miles I will be running a 10.55. LOL. I'd say my WHP is probably a little under 700. After 8 years of ownership the car continues to impress me, I'm not bored yet, still big smiles.

As for Driveability, there is a reason you don't hold down the pedal at WOT for 60 seconds. It only takes about 30 seconds to run a top speed mile.
Yeah, I tried to remember the figures. Still a nutty car. That Benz makes them is amazing. The unsuspecting that fade to the rear view mirror must wonder; "What the heck? I got walked by a luxury sport coupe with four rear exhaust outlets?" Thanks again for meeting, chat, advice, and the opportunity to sample a well modded CL65.

Last edited by principledchiro; 06-05-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:23 PM

2006 CL55 AMG
Well said !!!!!!
These cars are amazing.
Were you able to sort out the misfire on your CL65?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
I had to replace the coils, engine and trans mounts, one of the three accelerometers, A radiator, a fuel pump 4 fuel filters, two main ABC lines &
ABC pump, 3 sets of spark plugs, 12 fuel injectors, water pump, all of the Accumulators. I'm sure theres more but doesn't come to mind ?

Oil changes at 5k, never touched the trans fluid at all !

No engine or trans repairs, no strut issues at all
Got it with 60k and always keep the rpm below 3k soft on the throttle until the engine, transmission and rear end is warmed up.

OH Forgot something, I've likely held the throttle wide open for less than 60 seconds the entire time I've owned the car and no one else has ever driven the car. My other car was much faster so it was the one I hammered then I sold it off

As a past 914 owner I have to ask if there is a link to your 914 build? Wow!
principledchiro (06-07-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 CL65
Great write up! Thanks for sharing. A great virtual adrenaline rush!
principledchiro (06-12-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 s550
WOW ill get there one day! (Powerwise)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 PM

2006 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by MRCL65AMG
WOW ill get there one day! (Powerwise)
"...get there one day"? Stock; your CL65 has 610 bhp @ 725 lb/ft trq. A simple Kleeman ECU tune allows for 700+ bhp @ 825+ lb/ft trq., enough to chase down just about anything thrown at her in the 1/4 mile. Imagine intake, turbo, exhaust, LSD, and wide rear meat mods? Though RaceHorse CL65 has all but a turbo mod, it does 10.69 in the 1/4 at 135 mph. The quick and immense torque curve just pins you to the seat. It's torque that comes on quicker and in noticeably greater quantity than a Hell Cat or any blown motor. The only thing I can equate it to as far as instant and constant torque are the high performance Disney World electric car exhibit. I've rode in 11 second cars...the modded V12 TT is in a different league. Imagine what the CL65 can do if it lost 400 pounds? My all most* full bolt on 625 bhp 06 CL55 lost 200 pounds via ABC delete, exhaust mods, and light weight wheels.
*To be performed; 82mm TB, 550 injectors, Qauife LSD....

Last edited by principledchiro; 06-21-2017 at 11:07 PM.