CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

2004 CL 55 AMG 15k kms!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CL55 AMG
Smile 2004 CL 55 AMG 15k kms!!

Just to quickly introduce myself,
Power engineer by trade, Mobile auto technician specializing in BMW & Mercedes-Benz.
Sometimes I come across a classic to resurrect

Recently I acquired a very rare opportunity in my opinion, 2004 Mercedes CL 55 AMG with only 15,680kms!!
My understanding is that the gentleman's wife put on most of those kms along with some bumps and bruises and so its time to sell the vehicle.
Not sure how i could describe but the car still has its new car scent.

Maintenance I have done,
. Remove all trunk lining and inspect electrical components and tail lights, grease fittings and reinstall
. Shorten springs on wire retractor at trunk to give slack when boot lid is open
. Reinforce truck release actuator puck
. Charge battery for 24 hrs. install battery tender quick connect
. Engine oil and filter change
. Engine air filter check, vac out air box
. New rims and tires because original tires have past shelf life
. Ceramic paint protection

Maintenance done before
. Brake fluid flush
. Coolant flush
. Hydraulic fluid service
. New battery
. 3M film protection

MB World has been a great resource for me as an upcoming technician and so i thought i would reach out once again with me dilemma.
The CL class is a very special vehicle, all creature comforts and one of my favorite cars to have owned in the past.
The issue i am faced with is that this vehicle is in near mint condition. All original, tight as though right from the factory. I know, not really a problem for most people but hear me out. If you want to stay young, you must stay with the time.

Here's what i'm thinking,
Replace the interior head unit, 2 options. Xtrons 10.1" android head unit or 8" indash xtrons android
"Out of the two I have installed in other mercedes, best way to accomplish this is by removing all factory audio components and replacing, maybe use factory speakers"

Performance modifications,
Long tube headers, 83mm Supercharger pully, ECU tune, additional heat exchanger in series.
"Slightly louder then factory with x-pipe and secondary cats installed. Increase in fuel mileage".

My questions to you ladies and gentlemen,
1). Am i performing sacrilege by IMO upgrading the vehicle components? (This could be the only one in North America with this low mileage).
2). Should I leave it stock, preserve factory condition?
3). Replace Interior head unit only and preserve factory mechanical?
4). Sell it? considering i spent a small fortune to acquire it

Lets hear your comments and thoughts
Thanks,

First day

Sitting on borrowed 19's from my w219

V8 Kompressor

Old 10-26-2018, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Keep it and enjoy, low mileage isn't always the best on these cars, they tend to break with age anyway.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
cl65
I think you should just keep it and enjoy it. Like you said, you spent a small fortune to buy it. I'm assuming you did that because you really wanted the car. So just do what you want and enjoy it. I bought my CL65 because I've always wanted one. I will enjoy the car and use it how I want to. I didn't buy it as an investment as they cars are not appreciating in value. Just enjoy.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely keep it! It's a special special car.

Could you please shed some light on the purpose of this -
"Shorten springs on wire retractor at trunk to give slack when boot lid is open"

Old 10-27-2018, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by bentleymp21
Definitely keep it! It's a special special car.

Could you please shed some light on the purpose of this -
"Shorten springs on wire retractor at trunk to give slack when boot lid is open"

The wire carrier in the trunk that retracts the lid harness when it closes, uses two springs to pull the wire into an "S" shape to take up the slack. It it too strong, and breaks the wires after a while, particularly on the power trunk cars. Mine had broken both of the wires for the tag lights inside the insulation, was a PITA to find and fix.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
It is all a matter of personal taste.

Personally I wouldn’t do either of the things you are talking about. I always thought the cars stereo was great and it was always plenty fast. The things that i would change; (a) on the interior the burl wood accents are dated and carbon fiber looks great, and (b get some lowering links and lower it about an inch and a half (there is plenty of room) and put on some 20 inch wheels with Michelin Super Sports. It will then look great and handle great.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Beautiful! And I thought 49k miles on my 06 was low! Drive it and enjoy it in good health! Flush your fluids and enjoy that beast.