CLA 35 AMG (C118) 2019 to present

Squeaky Brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA 35 AMG
Squeaky Brake pads

So I’ve noticed my brakes squeak already. Usually starts after driving a few miles. Anyone else experiencing this too? If my memory serves me, this is/was also an issue in the old cla45? Maybe it’s just the AMG pads?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:29 PM

E43, CLA 35
Mine also does that, give if few hard breakings from time to time and squeaking will go away.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:26 PM

CLA 35 AMG
Originally Posted by ZeroDark30
So I’ve noticed my brakes squeak already. Usually starts after driving a few miles. Anyone else experiencing this too? If my memory serves me, this is/was also an issue in the old cla45? Maybe it’s just the AMG pads?
Hello I just purchased a 2021 CLA 35 2 week ago, and I’m experiencing the same break squeal issue. Where you ever able to fix yours? Thank you
Old 07-28-2021, 06:01 AM

CLA 35 AMG
Hi everyone, I have a CLA 35 one year old last week and has been in the garage 7 times for this issue. They have replaced all the callipers and brakes with the new version (2021) that was originally on my car (2020 if that makes sense?) However it continually happens even after booting it around in Sport+ with heavy braking, does not stop the squeaky brakes. Car was in garage yesterday and collected this morning and they do not understand why it is squeaking so much, report sent to AMG Germany for advice. The technician in the garage said this happens to most AMG's which is unacceptable after paying for an expensive car. He thinks that weights needed to be added to balance the callipers to stop the noise as he has seen this issue on the Audi RS7. I have also noticed when the CLA35 is stationary (overnight) and its damp or raining the handbrake seizes, does not disengage, again unacceptable. Have you guys had this issue as well?

If I get anymore info or solution will post here :-)

Also this has been escalated to Mercedes UK

Last edited by Bazza Mc; 07-28-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:48 AM

GL500
Same problem

I have a GL500, second during 9 years. I always have the squeaking problem, first car and second car. When I brake it sounds like an old truck and it starts early after purchase. I did not know about the warranty, dealer never told me this. I just don't understand MB can't figure this out as it is annoying and embarrassing when I brake. They say it is the build up of dust, it is very dusty and lots of sand where I live, in the groves of the brake pad. They clean it and it is gone for 2 weeks and then it is back. I will try the hard break. Still I find that a bad solution for such a nice car.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,521 Likes on 2,144 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Hmmm.... Perhaps for your situation you can get some aftermarket pads with less dust and see if that helps?
Old 10-10-2021, 09:56 AM

GL500
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm.... Perhaps for your situation you can get some aftermarket pads with less dust and see if that helps?
Problem is that the GL500 is a heavy car with a lot of power, changing the brake pads will reduce performance. I am also not sure if warranty on other parts still counts letting a non-MB garage touch my car. Warranty is 5 years, but always needs service from MB which is included.

It just stuns me that MB seems to have this problem for at least 15 years now and still did not find a solution??
Old 10-10-2021, 09:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RMO001
Problem is that the GL500 is a heavy car with a lot of power, changing the brake pads will reduce performance. I am also not sure if warranty on other parts still counts letting a non-MB garage touch my car. Warranty is 5 years, but always needs service from MB which is included.

It just stuns me that MB seems to have this problem for at least 15 years now and still did not find a solution??
Their excuse is that these are performance brakes (they say it applies to their regular MB models and not just AMG) so they do squeak. Hmmm, I think there are good aftermarket pads with less dust for the GL 500? Another thing is, depends on how you treat the brake pads when new (if you bed them in properly) it may contribute to the noise as well. Just like if you take care of the engine when new (by following the break-in procedure) , it will have less problems down the road)

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 10-10-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:00 AM

GL500
I am not someone who slams the breaks and my break pads always last above average milage. Dealer also says they have this problem with so many GL and G classes. It is for sure a MB problem, yes they buy their parts, but I think it is their responsibility at the end. So far they are just neglecting this problem for many years. Read online and you find many people complaining, even the dealers and service centers.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RMO001
I am not someone who slams the breaks and my break pads always last above average milage. Dealer also says they have this problem with so many GL and G classes. It is for sure a MB problem, yes they buy their parts, but I think it is their responsibility at the end. So far they are just neglecting this problem for many years. Read online and you find many people complaining, even the dealers and service centers.
Not slamming the brakes enough is not helping though hence why I mentioned about the bed-in procedure when the brakes were new, it is recommended to complete that. You need to have a good amount of pad material on the rotors to prevent the squeaking later on so light braking when the pads are new isn't the best idea.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying the way you are braking is wrong but that is what MB tell its customers as they don't admit it is their fault and they blame it as a characteristic of performance brakes (they use the same excuse on non AMG vehicles too). Many of my friends' MBs all exhibit some degree of brake squeaking with some brought their car to the dealership several times to no avail.

Dealerships only replaces squeaky brakes during the "wear and tear period" they call it, which you mentioned about that the dealership didn't tell you about (which is within 1 year since purchased). They would still replace it as per good gesture if you push hard enough after this period.

My car although completely different car to the GL 500 you have exhibits the exact symptoms you are experiencing. I am also aware about the complaints on the forums on squeaky brakes across MB models and the GL in general that you mentioned. Unrelated but my car model is also prone to bending rims and cracking rims which I took matters in my own hands by going aftermarket, solved the problem completely for me. This is another issue that MB doesn't admit fault and blame pot holes when it is a design flaw. That is why I suggested going aftermarket brake pads and see if it helps. Once I am done with these sets of OEM pads, I am going to go aftermarket as well. So far, the squeaking is annoying but easily replaced by the performance exhaust my car has.

Either way, I am sorry you too are dealing with this type of annoyance on a vehicle of this calibre but good luck getting it fixed : )

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 10-10-2021 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed typo and fixed several sentences
Old 11-30-2021, 01:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W204 C63 AMG
rented a 2019 W205 and the pads were already squeaking at 15K miles
Old 12-04-2021, 12:58 PM

Received 159 Likes on 119 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
My GLB 35 AMG is closing to 3K miles and the brakes are squeaking... Again it is used in NYC with rush hour traffic and also the recommendation is easy on the car on first 1500-2000 miles... It stopped for a couple days, but I think it comes back... Regular GLK 350 brakes didn't have this issue until the brakes are worn. The GLB 35 has bigger AMG breaks which stops better...

I saw in another post here that it is the performance break issue and Porsche even has a video:
https://www.prestigeimports.net/pors...eal-explained/