CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Official Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 05:26 PM

Scooter
Originally Posted by natman316
I'll go and confirm it on the private lounge and report back
Awesome. Let me know what you hear back.

Here is what my stalking returned:
Official Pics-rf7dpuy.png
Old 04-02-2013 | 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
awesome, great work! let's hope the MBUSA Facebook people are right
Old 04-02-2013 | 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
the mbusa fb messes up sometime

also this is from the PL press release

Performance-oriented AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive

The CLA 45 AMG comes with variable, performance-oriented AMG 4MATIC all wheel drive as standard. In developing this all-wheel drive, the focus was firmly on performance and dynamism. The power flux to the rear powertrain is provided by a compact power take-off unit (PTU) which is fully integrated in the 7-speed sports transmission. It does not possess an oil circuit of its own. Instead, it is supplied with lubricant from the oil circuit of the sports transmission. This configuration gives rise to substantial weight advantages in comparison to rival systems which branch off power by means of an add-on component with its own oil circuit. Together with the friction-minimised tapered roller bearings, the PTU achieves an excellent level of efficiency. As an additional bonus, the system weight of the new AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive is up to 25 percent lighter than the all-wheel-drive versions offered by the competition.

A two-part propeller shaft transfers the power from the AMG 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo engine to the rear axle. In the interests of favourable weight distribution, an electrohydraulically controlled multiple-disc clutch is integrated with the rear axle differential. The multiple-disc clutch immediately detects slip at the front axle. A hydraulic pump instantaneously presses the discs together and channels the engine torque to the rear wheels as necessary. All this takes place virtually without the driver noticing. To enable particularly fast response, the pump is always active and does not require to be started up each time it is needed, as is customary with other systems. Power distribution is fully variable: in normal driving, the CLA 45 AMG uses front-wheel drive in the interests of optimum efficiency. When the driving dynamics so require, the variable AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive splits the torque between front and rear axle up to a ratio of 50:50 percent. The variables influencing the power distribution ratio are vehicle speed, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, steering angle, speed difference between the individual wheels, selected gear and accelerator position.

so from how i understand, its FF until you drive it hard and then it can transfer up to 50% back
Old 04-02-2013 | 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Originally Posted by natman316
the mbusa fb messes up sometime

also this is from the PL press release

Performance-oriented AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive

The CLA 45 AMG comes with variable, performance-oriented AMG 4MATIC all wheel drive as standard. In developing this all-wheel drive, the focus was firmly on performance and dynamism. The power flux to the rear powertrain is provided by a compact power take-off unit (PTU) which is fully integrated in the 7-speed sports transmission. It does not possess an oil circuit of its own. Instead, it is supplied with lubricant from the oil circuit of the sports transmission. This configuration gives rise to substantial weight advantages in comparison to rival systems which branch off power by means of an add-on component with its own oil circuit. Together with the friction-minimised tapered roller bearings, the PTU achieves an excellent level of efficiency. As an additional bonus, the system weight of the new AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive is up to 25 percent lighter than the all-wheel-drive versions offered by the competition.

A two-part propeller shaft transfers the power from the AMG 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo engine to the rear axle. In the interests of favourable weight distribution, an electrohydraulically controlled multiple-disc clutch is integrated with the rear axle differential. The multiple-disc clutch immediately detects slip at the front axle. A hydraulic pump instantaneously presses the discs together and channels the engine torque to the rear wheels as necessary. All this takes place virtually without the driver noticing. To enable particularly fast response, the pump is always active and does not require to be started up each time it is needed, as is customary with other systems. Power distribution is fully variable: in normal driving, the CLA 45 AMG uses front-wheel drive in the interests of optimum efficiency. When the driving dynamics so require, the variable AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive splits the torque between front and rear axle up to a ratio of 50:50 percent. The variables influencing the power distribution ratio are vehicle speed, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, steering angle, speed difference between the individual wheels, selected gear and accelerator position.

so from how i understand, its FF until you drive it hard and then it can transfer up to 50% back
bah! well, I guess it's the opposite of my GT-R then, lol.

oh well, good enough!
Old 04-02-2013 | 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by nlpamg
bah! well, I guess it's the opposite of my GT-R then, lol.

oh well, good enough!
yeah I'll still test drive it at least haha.

I hope it feels just as good or close to an evo though, otherwise it will be hard to justify it
Old 04-02-2013 | 08:22 PM

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i; 2014 BMW M5 competition
The evolution of my thoughts on the CLA45:
* CLA? isn't that a poor person's Mercedes?
* But this is an AMG;
* Interesting car actually, a little cheap looking on the inside;
* Wait, 355HP and 332 ft-lb out of a 2-liter inline 4, that's better than my S4!
* 0 to 60 in 4.6s. I bet its faster in reality. They always underestimate 0 to 60;
* Actually, this thing looks pretty sharp on the outside - I need to see it in person;
* A 4-matic AMG! Awesome!
* I NEED to get one! I wonder if my local dealer is taking pre-orders?
* This thing is all over the internet - this car has got everyone's attention!
* At around $50K, they're going to sell a ton of these.
* The guy at my office who drives a Yaris said he is thinking of getting one.
* The New York Daily News says: "practical enough to suit a young family as their daily driver"
* Hmm ... in a couple of years the CLA45 is going to be about as 'exclusive' as a 328i;
* On second thought, I think I'll just wait for the 2015 C63 or the M4.
Old 04-02-2013 | 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Originally Posted by frcotting
The evolution of my thoughts on the CLA45:
* CLA? isn't that a poor person's Mercedes?
* But this is an AMG;
* Interesting car actually, a little cheap looking on the inside;
* Wait, 355HP and 332 ft-lb out of a 2-liter inline 4, that's better than my S4!
* 0 to 60 in 4.6s. I bet its faster in reality. They always underestimate 0 to 60;
* Actually, this thing looks pretty sharp on the outside - I need to see it in person;
* A 4-matic AMG! Awesome!
* I NEED to get one! I wonder if my local dealer is taking pre-orders?
* This thing is all over the internet - this car has got everyone's attention!
* At around $50K, they're going to sell a ton of these.
* The guy at my office who drives a Yaris said he is thinking of getting one.
* The New York Daily News says: "practical enough to suit a young family as their daily driver"
* Hmm ... in a couple of years the CLA45 is going to be about as 'exclusive' as a 328i;
* On second thought, I think I'll just wait for the 2015 C63 or the M4.
Yawn. And the E9X M3 is "exclusive"?

If you want exclusivity, you're not going to find it sub-$100k.
Old 04-02-2013 | 08:41 PM

You're right, actually. I just get a little unnerved when I see phrases like "family friendly" used in the same sentence as "AMG"
Old 04-02-2013 | 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

You're right, actually. I just get a little unnerved when I see phrases like "family friendly" used in the same sentence as "AMG"
Why? AMG's in the United States started "family friendly" and the majority of the current lineup is. You can't tell me that an ML63, S63 and E63 are not family friendly. The first AMG sold in the US was the C36 AMG--that was family friendly. It wasn't until later on with the introduction of the SL55, SLK55 etc. that there were AMG models that were arguably not "family friendly".

Last edited by nlpamg; 04-02-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2013 | 02:53 PM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Phil, cant wait until we start to track this CLA.. then we'll put the AWD into work and see how it responds.
Old 04-03-2013 | 05:58 PM

amg
Yawn. And the E9X M3 is "exclusive"?

If you define exclusive as low volume, then there are few sub $100k cars that are exclusive.
Old 04-03-2013 | 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Originally Posted by James@ACGAutomotive
Phil, cant wait until we start to track this CLA.. then we'll put the AWD into work and see how it responds.
Agreed. I can't wait to see what this can do at Buttonwillow. I'm planning on getting a second set of 18's and mounting some RS3's to it.

Originally Posted by blipit
If you define exclusive as low volume, then there are few sub $100k cars that are exclusive.
True, but no one said that the CLA45 AMG would be high volume either.
Old 04-03-2013 | 07:11 PM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Agreed. I can't wait to see what this can do at Buttonwillow. I'm planning on getting a second set of 18's and mounting some RS3's to it.

True, but no one said that the CLA45 AMG would be high volume either.
As much as I'd love to be sub 2 min at button.. i would be extremely happy with a 2:0x

18" with RS3 and brake pad upgrades.. is where I'm planning to start.
Old 04-05-2013 | 07:25 AM

911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
You drive an S4....and I'm not saying that as a dig (I was about to place an order before I heard about the CLA). The S4 is a family sedan. In fact, it is more so now than ever before. It's no longer Audi's answer to the M3 which is actually one of my gripes with it. Whereas the B7 went toe to toe with the M3, the B8 became a 335 competitor.

Besides, in Westchester, these things are a dime a dozen. Unless you're driving an exotic you see yourself coming and going everywhere. Families drive everything! lol. It just means it has the capacity to carry more that 2 in comfort.

I think one thing that will put off some people (families) about the CLA is the fact that it's a 4 seater. It's made me think twice but I rarely carry more than just me and my two little kids (in the back). Heck, they're still happy in the back of my C4S! lol

-Eric

Last edited by Sue Esponte; 04-05-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2013 | 08:02 AM

Yes, the S4 is by no means exclusive. But I'm always thinking about my next car, and I'd like to step up to something a little better. I was initially very excited about the CLA45. But after reading a lot about it online and seeing it in person at the auto show, it seemed that the CLA45 would be a lateral move at best. I'm also afraid that the CLA45 is going to appeal mostly to the Evo/WRX crowd. But I'm reserving final judgment until I actually get to test drive it.
Old 04-07-2013 | 10:06 AM

911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Yes, the S4 is by no means exclusive. But I'm always thinking about my next car, and I'd like to step up to something a little better. I was initially very excited about the CLA45. But after reading a lot about it online and seeing it in person at the auto show, it seemed that the CLA45 would be a lateral move at best. I'm also afraid that the CLA45 is going to appeal mostly to the Evo/WRX crowd. But I'm reserving final judgment until I actually get to test drive it.
I hear you but the CLA is about a second faster than the B8 S4. Im not sure around a corner; where my concerns lie. Also, I wouldn't put the CLAs Haldex up against the S4s Torsen AWD in extreme weather but it should be fine in most conditions. Both cars have their upsides. I think someone seriously looking for an Evo or STI isn't going to want to dip into the high 50s/low 60s for a comparably equipped car. The Subi pretty much maxes out at 42k or so before you get into mods.

-Eric
Old 04-17-2013 | 08:08 AM

2008 C230
Any pics of the rear seating area?
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Did Chris Bangle start working for MB? I like it a lot, but change the grille to a twin kidney bean and rebadge it... Could pass for a BMW easily.
Old 05-11-2013 | 09:48 AM

911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Did Chris Bangle start working for MB? I like it a lot, but change the grille to a twin kidney bean and rebadge it... Could pass for a BMW easily.
The CLA shares its face with all of the new Benzes coming out. I'm assuming from your comment that you're generally not a fan of Mercedes' recent design direction.

As an aside, Bangle hasn't been with BMW since around 2009. All of the current BMWs have come out of van Hooeydonk's design team.

-Eric
Old 05-11-2013 | 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
No I like the CLA, and I liked most of the BMWs from the 2000s as well much more than the boxy earlier models. I'm aware Bangle either quit or got pushed out, I just think this particular model could have been a Bimmer with a grill swap.
Old 05-29-2013 | 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Stunning little car, might have one siting in the garage in the next quarter or so, looking to finally get rid of my C.
Old 06-14-2013 | 09:55 AM

'06 M5/'08 GL 550/'08 ML 350 Edition 10
Originally Posted by Cycosis
Any pics of the rear seating area?
This ^^ Anyone??
Old 07-23-2013 | 11:53 AM

E-coupe (w207)
Still believe A-Class looks better , especially from the back :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Old 07-23-2013 | 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Back seat

Back seat is not super small but not big for sure but CLA get bigger trunk room so that's good. I will be getting A45 Edition 1 but I'm worry about how small trunk room wii be.
Attached Thumbnails Official Pics-image.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013 | 12:04 AM

2008 Mercedes ML63 AMG
very nice post.