CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

CLA250 v. CLA45 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 WRX
Originally Posted by zibby43
I'll probably be stoned to death for mentioning this but if you want turbocharged performance with tons of opportunities for modifications, give the BMW M235i a look.

I've driven the M235i a few times for kicks now and it is very impressive.

Can't go wrong with the CLA45. I would pass on the 250.
"Stoned to death" made me laugh haha

Give it some time and there will be some proper tuning and more mods for this platform for sure. I also agree the M235i is a great car, but it depends if the OP requires AWD or not. The lack of AWD, and the fact it is using essentially the same engine (albeit slightly different derivation now, N55 vs the old twin turbo N54) since 2007 without really offering any better fuel economy or power since then, kinda disappoints me.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If you bought the 250, you would've wished you "sprang" a little more for the 45. If it wouldn't be too much of an issue financially, you might want to make that upgrade.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
I'll probably be stoned to death for mentioning this but if you want turbocharged performance with tons of opportunities for modifications, give the BMW M235i a look.

The S3 is also worth a look, and for me is the biggest contender against the CLA45.

With the discounts I receive on Audi Vehicles, it about a 10k difference for between the CLA45 and S3.

Just waiting on to test drive both, to finally make the decision. I know the audi will also have a much larger and less expenisve aftermarket as well. But AMG... It's a tough choice.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
To be honest, I love the styling of the M235i and would take it over the CLA250. That's only if I couldn't get an AMG.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by J_Maher_AMG
"Stoned to death" made me laugh haha Give it some time and there will be some proper tuning and more mods for this platform for sure. I also agree the M235i is a great car, but it depends if the OP requires AWD or not. The lack of AWD, and the fact it is using essentially the same engine (albeit slightly different derivation now, N55 vs the old twin turbo N54) since 2007 without really offering any better fuel economy or power since then, kinda disappoints me.
M235 is available with xdrive now. At least in the US it is.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by bmoney12
M235 is available with xdrive now. At least in the US it is.
When will it come with 4 doors and a sleeker design?

Oh yeah, it is 2 Series GT. Looks just like a 5 Series GT, which couldn't sell.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-23-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
The S3 is also worth a look, and for me is the biggest contender against the CLA45.

With the discounts I receive on Audi Vehicles, it about a 10k difference for between the CLA45 and S3.

Just waiting on to test drive both, to finally make the decision. I know the audi will also have a much larger and less expenisve aftermarket as well. But AMG... It's a tough choice.
Then you might want to throw in a 2015 Golf R and OP could save about $15-$20k and have "similar" performance when tuned with a DP. Golf R tuned/DP gets close to a CLA/GLA 45 with stage 1 and DP. I'd like to see a quarter drag between these two. This, of course, if OP likes hatches.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Originally Posted by natman316
45 for sure...if you dont want to spend alot of money for the 45, get the golf GTI fully loaded. best car you can buy for 35k.
Circa 2003 to 2007 I was loving life with my 8v MKII GTI. One particular year I drove from Vancouver BC to Ensenada, Mexico and spent the year living in Orange County. Good times. I'm was avid follower of the brand though my passion waned with the MKV.

Your comment spurred research of the MKVII. Wow what a car. A $700 APR chip nets you 291 WHP and 367 WTQ. That puts you in stock CLA45 territory. Killer interior, good looks, well balanced chassis dynamics, not a bad car.

That said it doesn't take much to end up at CLA45 money.

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm

Car to car it's no contest. AMG all the way. With your discounts I agree it's a tougher decision. With 10k off you're close to GTI with performance pack money. S3 looks pretty appealing then.

Originally Posted by VividRacing
To be honest, I love the styling of the M235i and would take it over the CLA250. That's only if I couldn't get an AMG.
If 2 v. 4 door is not a concern absolutely the M235i is a nice car. However, I need automatic and i'm partial to dual clutch transmissions vs the Steptronic available from BMW. If the requirement was manual transmission no contest.

"Stoned to death" made me laugh haha

Give it some time and there will be some proper tuning and more mods for this platform for sure. I also agree the M235i is a great car, but it depends if the OP requires AWD or not. The lack of AWD, and the fact it is using essentially the same engine (albeit slightly different derivation now, N55 vs the old twin turbo N54) since 2007 without really offering any better fuel economy or power since then, kinda disappoints me.
AWD is a huge plus for the PNW climate but not a deal breaker.

The more I research the sub $50k category. The more I think the CLA45 is right for me.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Just a note on the DCT. In the CLA, it is not as responsive and quick as its competitors, so dont expect it to be a DSG or PDK. In fact I think the 8speed ZF in the M235i is better (that transmission is better than the MCT in my C63 at least).

To be honest in this class I would not get the CLA45 because of 1 its DCT is not that good and 2 its a front wheel drive based awd. It actually becomes only fwd if you push it too hard and the diff overheats (happened to my friend in AMG academy).

My choice would be an S3 or a slightly used S4 if I were going to spend <50k on a awd performance sedan because the transmission and awd system is much better. That said I totally understand the AMG brand appeal and the cool looks of the CLA
Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 PM

2011 WRX
Just a note on the DCT. In the CLA, it is not as responsive and quick as its competitors, so dont expect it to be a DSG or PDK. In fact I think the 8speed ZF in the M235i is better (that transmission is better than the MCT in my C63 at least).

To be honest in this class I would not get the CLA45 because of 1 its DCT is not that good and 2 its a front wheel drive based awd. It actually becomes only fwd if you push it too hard and the diff overheats (happened to my friend in AMG academy).

My choice would be an S3 or a slightly used S4 if I were going to spend <50k on a awd performance sedan because the transmission and awd system is much better. That said I totally understand the AMG brand appeal and the cool looks of the CLA
There have been lots of people tracking their CLA45's and no one has reported the diff overheating and the car becoming RWD.

I think what you are referring to is when the car uses Race Start numerous times in a row, it causes the rear diff to overheat and then yes the car is FWD until it has a chance to cool. The over heating is only caused by excessive wheelspin during Race Starts, not during hard track driving.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
I'm going to agree here. The auto in my wife's 135i is actually quite fast, and doesn't have the odd 1st gear behavior.

J_maher pointed out the issue already: it was using Race Start one too many times without letting things cool. The ECU itself shut things down and switched to FWD while the diff cooled. First, I'd rather THAT behavior than letting things keep going until the diff complete blows. Second, why the hell would you be running Race Start that many times consecutively?

I had zero brand loyalty, M, AMG, etc. Hell, I bled Ford blue for years and was a big SVT fan.

But I don't like VAG's reputation for lack of reliability. From first and second hand experiences, it's been clear to me to avoid them even though I do like Audi's overall designs.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
He never said anywhere that the 250 is like a 45. He is comparing the 250 with a tune to the 45. And what he said regarding the 250 with a tune being great bang for your buck, he is right.

No need to be a total Asshat with your immature 'Lol's and nonsensical "Good try bro". If you can't offer him proper advice as to why the AMG is better, better off to forgo posting at all. Just embarassing to read a reply like this to someone who is asking enthusiasts opinions as to which route he should go.
+1000
Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

Definitely a valid point about the DCT issues in the CLA45. Aftermarket vendors have made some progress to bridge the gap to DSG/PDK (Rebellion) however how it stacks up remains to be seen.

Interesting note about the diff overheating! I wonder if in an autoX that could be replicated? Regardless a good piece of information to know.

Interesting you mention the S3 and S4. Would you not classify them at front wheel biased as well? Honestly the front wheel bias doesn't bother me especially with AWD in the mix. I might **** off a few loyal fan boys here but i'd say the CLA45 is an 8/10's car anyway like most cars in this segment including the S3/4. I'm OK with it. My Civic SI to a lesser degree is like this and it's been one of the funnest cars I've owned.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Im posting from the app so I cant multiquote but the problem my friend had was in the Auto X exercise at the AMG academy. He told me the CLAs they provided kept going into FF after a couple rounds. Now I'm sure this wouldnt happen in normal street driving but its a possible concern if you intend to track it.

But what I dont like about the CLA is the front bias awd, so it starts out in front wheel drive and transfers up to 50% to the rear if it detects slip, kinda like Honda CRV. In standard cruising etc its front wheel drive.

The Audis on the other hand are full time awd and can send most (more than 50% dont remember its exact figure) power to rear (more like subarus)
Old 10-25-2014, 07:48 AM

But what I dont like about the CLA is the front bias awd, so it starts out in front wheel drive and transfers up to 50% to the rear if it detects slip, kinda like Honda CRV. In standard cruising etc its front wheel drive.
It's not just when it detects slippage there are a bunch of factors. The variables influencing the torque split ratio are vehicle speed, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, steering angle, speed difference between the individual wheels, selected gear and accelerator position. ESP Sport also influences the tq split.

It's certainly not the best AWD system but it serves it's purpose well. My tire wear is surprisingly close for front and rear so it must be splitting tq pretty evenly much of the time. I also drive in M with ESP in Sport so I'm sure that'll make a big difference as opposed to someone in C with ESP in normal mode.

Last edited by bmoney12; 10-25-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by bmoney12
It's not just when it detects slippage there are a bunch of factors. The variables influencing the torque split ratio are vehicle speed, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, steering angle, speed difference between the individual wheels, selected gear and accelerator position. ESP Sport also influences the tq split. It's certainly not the best AWD system but it serves it's purpose well. My tire wear is surprisingly close for front and rear so it must be splitting tq pretty evenly much of the time. I also drive in M with ESP in Sport so I'm sure that'll make a big difference as opposed to someone in C with ESP in normal mode.
I see, I just remember reading the press release explicitly stating that under normal driving its front wheel drive and "when conditions demand" it transfer some power back, so I assumed its based on slippage only. I guess driving modes make a difference too
Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 PM

I see, I just remember reading the press release explicitly stating that under normal driving its front wheel drive and "when conditions demand" it transfer some power back, so I assumed its based on slippage only. I guess driving modes make a difference too
That all being said I'm sure when cruising at 70 on the highway I bet it's still 100% FWD with any mode. I asked that questioned on the AMG PL and they couldn't answer it saying it just depends so no way to know.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 PM

cla 45 amg
if you have to ask. just get the damn 250. If you have no interest in AMG, you shouldn't drive one. simple as that to me.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:14 PM

2011 WRX
Originally Posted by CLA45AMG2.0
if you have to ask. just get the damn 250. If you have no interest in AMG, you shouldn't drive one. simple as that to me.
Once again another useless post with no positive suggestions or advice. "Good try Bro." Seems as though you have a little bit of an elitism mindset and are in need of an attitude adjustment.

Where did he say he had no interest in AMG? And I'm CERTAIN that not every single AMG owner has the mindset that it's 'AMG or Nothing,' I mean come on. It's a very valid question he's asking. He likes the car as a whole, and is wondering whether the 45 would be a viable option to upgrade to at that price point, compared the more pedestrian 250. Doesn't seem like it's a crazy question to me... Especially for someone who's never owned an AMG before.