CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Rebellion downpipe kit owners..please input!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA 45
Rebellion downpipe kit owners..please input!

How many have purchased and installed the rebellion down/midpipe and intake kit? Worth it? I'm debating hard. Improved 60-100+ performance? I'm interested in getting more oomph down the straight away during track events. That's the only part where these big v8 corvettes catch up on me.

Not ready to swap out for bigger turbo but this sounds tempting.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 PM

2014 CLA 45
It depends, but F it go for it!!!

Hi there,

I'm in Orlando, FL. Cant speak for their intake as I have Willall's since theirs wasn't released yet at time, but intake alone improved initial throttle response and felt just a bit more responsive overall, breathed better.

I then installed TCU/ECU along with TRS from Rebellion, and it completely transformed the car. I am pleased overall. Would do it again, no doubt.

Now for the downpipe, it was last of the engine mods install. I did feel like I lost some low end torque/throttle response, particularly on low speed/city driving, minimal throttle inputs, etc.....at-least that's what I remember, at this point I've adjusted. I commented to Matt and he mentions their is actually a gain, but since its more linear, its perceived that way....it is what it is...

Now for the pros, in WOT the whip is a complete beast, If I gun it from a stop or slow roll, traction control light will go off in 2nd gear shift. I would say that you 'feel' the downpipe even more is through the midrange torque (spools quicker) and definitely top end especially in the higher gears. So to answer your main question, yes that's when the downpipe shines the most or atleast felt vs without; after 50-60 mph, IMO

I use a lot of highway and from cruising around 65-70 mph, I barely have to add throttle in order to reach 90+, you dont need to kick down gears to pass easily. In WOT at those speed you'll go over 110 in no time and the car just wants to keep going. Its actually frustrating because I cant push it like i really want to, there is still plenty left by the time I come to my sense and let off the throttle in fear of an ugly speeding ticket.

My only drawback/fear on the downpipe would be warranty issues if there's a turbo problem as others report. My vehicle isn't part of any campaign and I have a 08/14 build date. But with all the things I'm reading on the forums it does f with my head a bit. But that has nothing to do with Rebellions Products, outside of having to replace downpipe or risking warranty if I take it in with it, definitely worth it. But as they say you gotta pay to play, so it comes with the territory.

Im in the process of swapping to HK springs to lower it a bit, got 'em shipped from Germany. I prob wont track my car, but I am thinking of taking it to my local drag strip to record some times. I am also considering putting it on a dyno to see what its pushing.....

Hope this helps....Will it make car quicker/faster obviously, worth it...only one way to find out

Last edited by JonellDJ; 02-06-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by JonellDJ
Hi there,

I'm in Orlando, FL. Cant speak for their intake as I have Willall's since theirs wasn't released yet at time, but intake alone improved initial throttle response and felt just a bit more responsive overall, breathed better.

I then installed TCU/ECU along with TRS from Rebellion, and it completely transformed the car. I am pleased overall. Would do it again, no doubt.

Now for the downpipe, it was last of the engine mods install. I did feel like I lost some low end torque/throttle response, particularly on low speed/city driving, minimal throttle inputs, etc.....at-least that's what I remember, at this point I've adjusted. I commented to Matt and he mentions their is actually a gain, but since its more linear, its perceived that way....it is what it is...

Now for the pros, in WOT the whip is a complete beast, If I gun it from a stop or slow roll, traction control light will go off in 2nd gear shift. I would say that you 'feel' the downpipe even more is through the midrange torque (spools quicker) and definitely top end especially in the higher gears. So to answer your main question, yes that's when the downpipe shines the most or atleast felt vs without; after 50-60 mph, IMO

I use a lot of highway and from cruising around 65-70 mph, I barely have to add throttle in order to reach 90+, you dont need to kick down gears to pass easily. In WOT at those speed you'll go over 110 in no time and the car just wants to keep going. Its actually frustrating because I cant push it like i really want to, there is still plenty left by the time I come to my sense and let off the throttle in fear of an ugly speeding ticket.

My only drawback/fear on the downpipe would be warranty issues if there's a turbo problem as others report. My vehicle isn't part of any campaign and I have a 08/14 build date. But with all the things I'm reading on the forums it does f with my head a bit. But that has nothing to do with Rebellions Products, outside of having to replace downpipe or risking warranty if I take it in with it, definitely worth it. But as they say you gotta pay to play, so it comes with the territory.

Im in the process of swapping to HK springs to lower it a bit, got 'em shipped from Germany. I prob wont track my car, but I am thinking of taking it to my local drag strip to record some times. I am also considering putting it on a dyno to see what its pushing.....

Hope this helps....Will it make car quicker/faster obviously, worth it...only one way to find out
Very thorough answer. Thanks for taking the time to script your thoughts on this. Very helpful as I am at the very least going with the tune and downpipe. I'll likely just just straight up ask my dealer when the time comes how they feel about the DP.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:03 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Great post! The Downpipe is tempting me again...
Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 PM

2014 CLA 45
NP, I've been lurking the forums since late August 2014 and I've learned/gained plenty from other member inputs. Thought this was a good chance to give back. I've had the dp since release.

For the skeptics, I am in no way compensated by Rebellion, I've paid them for every product. I also have Willall's intake system and I'm also happy with it. Not sure if I buy into the dry/oiled argument, had a supercharged Ford Lightning in which I also installed a high-flow KN intake and never had a problem, but that's another subject. Just a proud CLA 45 owner that enjoys the platform.

This is my take:

If you are ultra conservative, don't touch your car.

If you are a moderate, I highly recommend the intake, ECU/TCU/TRS combo, I suspect the CLA 45 in a few years will resemble its performance, so those who want it now and want stealth (plugnplay), you cant go wrong.

For those that can stomach the risks and/or has the means, dp is worth it for those that want up-most performance, I suspect same goes for ECU flashes, turbo upgrades, etc.

Its all relative and based on risk/reward. Right now I'm happy where I'm at, but I'm keeping my eye on the ECU flashes and bigger turbo upgrades development.

I don't look for races, but I've raced an early 2000 Mustang GT, sounded like it had intake, exhaust/straight pipes and it wasn't even a race, I also raced a mid 2000's CLK55 with a tune (as disclosed by driver) and I pulled on him race starting around 35mph, on a roll or stop I probably would've had a greater advantage.

I like the thought that I have (IMO) a sexy luxury vehicle with 4 doors, 4WD (as rudimentary as it might be), around 24 mpg, running low 12's (maybe high 11s) for around 65K USD. Its really a fun car to drive.

Last edited by JonellDJ; 02-07-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G63 AMG
I am in daytona beach and my wife has 14 cla45. Hers is completely stock other than k&n filter and bbs wheels/tires. I can race the guy above and see how much difference does his mods made in real life if hes down.

Lmk! It should be fun. We can do it any day night time on i-95!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by aznevoviii
I am in daytona beach and my wife has 14 cla45. Hers is completely stock other than k&n filter and bbs wheels/tires. I can race the guy above and see how much difference does his mods made in real life if hes down.

Lmk! It should be fun. We can do it any day night time on i-95!
Or on a track!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 PM

2014 CLA 45
First off, what makes you think I'm a guy?

Second, I'm game...but if your gonna challenge me, its not gonna be on your territory, I say I-4 , It can be close to 95 but I'm in South Orlando.

I'm swapping springs in the next week so It wont be for another 2 weeks at-least, but I'm down nevertheless, should be interesting.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:31 PM

CLA 45
Awesome review! Kinda what I expected and hoped.

Ok so pkease Gopro this race lol. I may not wait that long to order but...

Yall sure help a guy know how to spend money.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by JonellDJ
NP, I've been lurking the forums since late August 2014 and I've learned/gained plenty from other member inputs. Thought this was a good chance to give back. I've had the dp since release.

For the skeptics, I am in no way compensated by Rebellion, I've paid them for every product. I also have Willall's intake system and I'm also happy with it. Not sure if I buy into the dry/oiled argument, had a supercharged Ford Lightning in which I also installed a high-flow KN intake and never had a problem, but that's another subject. Just a proud CLA 45 owner that enjoys the platform.

This is my take:

If you are ultra conservative, don't touch your car.

If you are a moderate, I highly recommend the ECU/TCU/TRS combo, I suspect the CLA 45 in a few years will resemble its performance, so those who want it now and want stealth (plugnplay), you cant go wrong.

For those that can stomach the risks and/or has the means, dp is worth it for those that want up-most performance, I suspect same goes for ECU flashes, turbo upgrades, etc.

Its all relative and based on risk/reward. Right now I'm happy where I'm at, but I'm keeping my eye on the ECU flashes and bigger turbo upgrades development.

I don't look for races, but I've raced an early 2000 Mustang GT, sounded like it had intake, exhaust/straight pipes and it wasn't even a race, I also raced a mid 2000's CLK55 with a tune (as disclosed by driver) and I pulled on him race starting around 35mph, on a roll or stop I probably would've had a greater advantage.

I like the thought that I have (IMO) a sexy luxury vehicle with 4 doors, 4WD (as rudimentary as it might be), around 24 mpg, running low 12's (maybe high 11s) for around 65K USD. Its really a fun car to drive.
Great review and very helpful. So you did the willal intake kit before the tune? Was there a noticeable sound improvement with the intake? As far as induction noise and hearing the turbo spool up when you start low rpm off boost and go WOT as the turbo kicks in. I was surprised that with the big turbo and high boost pressure stock you don't hear the turbo to much with the stock intake. I would think getting rid of the small inlet with the willal or rebellion kit plus high flow filters would increase the sound.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 AM

2014 CLA 45
In regards to the intake, also highly recommended and great add on. I assume you cant go wrong with either intake, I feel Willalls intake is a nice quality piece. Yes that was my first install as I also was a bit taken back by how quiet intake side was stock form.

The real joy of the intake is in the sound, especially hearing the turbo whine a bit more as well as an overall throatier induction sound you can def tell and feel that the vehicle breathes better, if you let off after moderate throttle you hear a nice whoosh/grunt from the intake(if that makes any sense).

It did improve take off and made the car a little more responsive overall particularly in start off, roll off and lower rpm range. I remember being very pleased because in stock form it was tricky getting car moving with light throttle or reverse.

All these mods add a slight improvement in different departments and/or rpm band and when all put together makes it greater than the sum of its parts.

Maybe if it wasn't for tighter emissions/EPA control and also having to conform to various governmental regulations, and to appeal to a wider market (not just performance nuts) this was MB's ideal vision for the 45. Also I think its safe to say at this point that MB did leave a bit of headroom in the engine to add more power over the development of the platform, as a business standpoint makes sense to me why.

Last edited by JonellDJ; 02-07-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM

Cla 45 amg
I just installed my rebellion intake yesterday and am LOVING it. Throttle response and power gain is awesome.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G63 AMG
Oops excuse me miss!

Anyways! Im down for i-4 as long as you know where the cops are.

Or

We can go to 1/4 track.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:24 AM

C63
stock CLA vs fully jacked CLA race???

Did the race ever happen?