CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Weistec Tune / BPV Whoo hooooo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Weistec Tune / BPV Whoo hooooo!

Soooo the warm weather is back and so is my CLA45. I was debating on ditching it for the new C63 but after one day with this car again I couldn't get rid of it. I originally had the Renntech tune, Arma intake, Weistec DP, Innotech cat back, sprint throttle booster and I was very happy with how the car performed. This car stock is great but when you throw another 100hp at it and delete that cat the car turns in to a little monster. I really wanted to give the Weistec tune a try to compare it with the piggyback.

I spoke with Zach at Weistec and after chatting with him for a few minutes he also had me sold on the Weistec Bypass Valve.

I overnighted my ECU and I had it back in less than 48 hours. Install on the bypass valve was a piece of cake.

First impressions - Car is louder and has a meaner sound. Def more of a growl.

Throttle response - The stock throttle response was terrible and the throttle booster made it a little too aggressive. The Weistec tune really improves the throttle response, but does not make it too aggressive so you bog back and forth like the sprint.

Power - on the back roads this car is a torque monster. I actually scared the crap out of myself. The power band feels more even and smooth through the rpms, the car keeps pulling and pulling. With the piggyback I felt the power fall off at higher RPMS, this is now fixed with Weistec tune.

Feel - I really noticed a difference between shifts with the tune. When I popped through the gears with the Renntech tune I would always get a little power delay between shifts, between shifts feels much smoother with the weistec.

Bypass valve - Install was easy and this thing sounds really cool, it doesn't sound too loud and annoying like other brands I have had on Jap cars.

Service - Zach from Weistec even hit me up early Saturday to see if I needed any help with the install. I was really impressed with their service and I can't wait to get their turbo upgrade when it drops.

Overall thoughts on the CLA. I have had this car for a while now and I am really impressed. It is def unique, with some small visual mods this car really stands out. With some small upgrades (tune and DP) the car feels completely different. As awesome as the v8tt c63 sounds I will be keeping my CLA for a while!
Old 05-03-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
Great feedback as always James! Can't wait to get your input on the turbo upgrade when it comes out.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by soolman32
Great feedback as always James! Can't wait to get your input on the turbo upgrade when it comes out.
Thanks bro, this car is going to be an absolute beast with more horsepower.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
how much faster with the tune is the car overall?
1/4 mile times?
0-60 times?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 cla45 amg/ 2015STI
Question about ur switch

So sounds like you are very happy. I am a few days away from doing Armytrix catless TBE, (is there a mid pipe included here?) Weistec heat shield, valve blow off system and there ECU enhancement/recalibration. My main question about the intake you have? I did not know there were any good aftermarket intakes. Is it HF or CA. In wheel well? Could u send me a link on it or suggest any other good and safe intakes. I prefer HF under hood here in NY. Lastly, sorry! Did u give Weiztec specs for the aftermarket intake or was your send out just standard for cattless dp with some tuning improvements? Thanks. I am all stock for now. Any other advice would be appreciate. Gas 93 plus 10 ETOH. Can we run 98octane. 100? Any issuea with turbo failure. Maintanance issues to watch. Most of all is it maintaining reliability? At least as reliable is 200 hp per liter can be. Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Originally Posted by jamesyot
Soooo the warm weather is back and so is my CLA45. I was debating on ditching it for the new C63 but after one day with this car again I couldn't get rid of it. I originally had the Renntech tune, Arma intake, Weistec DP, Innotech cat back, sprint throttle booster and I was very happy with how the car performed. This car stock is great but when you throw another 100hp at it and delete that cat the car turns in to a little monster. I really wanted to give the Weistec tune a try to compare it with the piggyback.

I spoke with Zach at Weistec and after chatting with him for a few minutes he also had me sold on the Weistec Bypass Valve.

I overnighted my ECU and I had it back in less than 48 hours. Install on the bypass valve was a piece of cake.

First impressions - Car is louder and has a meaner sound. Def more of a growl.

Throttle response - The stock throttle response was terrible and the throttle booster made it a little too aggressive. The Weistec tune really improves the throttle response, but does not make it too aggressive so you bog back and forth like the sprint.

Power - on the back roads this car is a torque monster. I actually scared the crap out of myself. The power band feels more even and smooth through the rpms, the car keeps pulling and pulling. With the piggyback I felt the power fall off at higher RPMS, this is now fixed with Weistec tune.

Feel - I really noticed a difference between shifts with the tune. When I popped through the gears with the Renntech tune I would always get a little power delay between shifts, between shifts feels much smoother with the weistec.

Bypass valve - Install was easy and this thing sounds really cool, it doesn't sound too loud and annoying like other brands I have had on Jap cars.

Service - Zach from Weistec even hit me up early Saturday to see if I needed any help with the install. I was really impressed with their service and I can't wait to get their turbo upgrade when it drops.

Overall thoughts on the CLA. I have had this car for a while now and I am really impressed. It is def unique, with some small visual mods this car really stands out. With some small upgrades (tune and DP) the car feels completely different. As awesome as the v8tt c63 sounds I will be keeping my CLA for a while!
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
^The Arma intake is HF under hood it's all carbon fiber and very nice also fairly expensive. Just google Arma intake for cla 45.

I can't really answer your questions in regards to the tune but I would be scared to mess around with different octanes of gas while having only 1 specific tune from Weistec. With a Cobb AP you have the option to change tunes easily when switching gas or adding new parts, when you have 1 tune it is specifically mapped for those specific parts you have and octane gas. I'm no expert with this stuff I just buy cars, race, break, pay to fix, race, break, repeat so i'll let someone else chime in but that's just my oppinion with a turbo 4 cyl.

Also, James can you please take this car to the dragstrip? I would love to see what kind of 1/4 mile times it runs in comparison with other tunes.

Last edited by jmevox; 05-05-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
would love to see this car on a dyno .
since your in CT you should take it to THE SHOP or EFI LOGICS for numbers.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:12 PM

CLA45 AMG
Do you track this car? What compelled you to get all of these mods? That's what i'm more interested in. And yes you can run 100 octane on the stock ECU and gain a substantial amount of power. I used 98 octane at the track and it was amazing.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 PM

E class
Originally Posted by DONTLIFT
Do you track this car? What compelled you to get all of these mods? That's what i'm more interested in. And yes you can run 100 octane on the stock ECU and gain a substantial amount of power. I used 98 octane at the track and it was amazing.
Data and improved results please or time slips
1/4 mile difference from stock
Thx
Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DONTLIFT
I mod all my cars! Not one of them are stock. I don't know exactly how much faster it is. The car feels like it runs better and smoother. It is a noticeable difference. I do have the arma intake, love the carbon fiber box. The car is tuned for all my mods, when I spoke to wiestec we went over every mod I had for the car. My car has no turbo issues, checked the shaft play when we had the intake off and it was fine. My car only has 3500 miles on it. I wouldn't mind putting the car on a dyno but I really have no interest in taking it to a track. I wouldn't even consider myself a fast driver, I like to cruise and get on the power here and there. I don't even know where a track is around here. I run 93 octane shell gas.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 PM

2014 cla45 amg/ 2015STI
Why mods

I like James mod all my cars. All cars stock are by default set up to run sub optimal (like ****) do mostly to emission regulations and to a lesser extent improved mechanical length of life. Europe makes us look like we are still living in 1970 regarding admission regulations. So its a no brainer for me. I like power. And not for five minutes until heat soaked. I have a 2015 STI stock 305 hp. Dynotech dyno bolt on 260 whp at 6390 rpm. I replaced headers to tips, intake, FI's to 1000cc, FP, intercooler, protune, heat shield/blanketed turbo, wrapped headers/DP. 330 whp at 4200 rpm 395 Ib/Ft/tq at 3750. And i have the graphs. No need for new clutch. No turbo work, internals, no head work. Runs amazing and consistent power without soak. However, it is a subaru. Nice car but cheaper. Now it is fast. To fast for the OEM brakes,rotors, calipers, suspension, etc. torque to much for engine mounts. To make its handling/stopping match its power gain is approx 6k underestimated.

At first glance it seems obviously cheaper to mod a sti over Cla45. BPV/MAP block plate for 2015 STi is about 60 bucks. Haha you see my point. I put a touch over $6500 in Sti upgrades. For the same price almost to the dollar I get 400 whp in a lighter car😏.

The point to this rambler is the benz comes more or less track ready OEM from chassy and braking ,etc. No upgrades needed for power matching. My STi is dangerous now. I know young guys are market target for STi.

It makes me quite angry that Subaru and Brembo team up and put 4 piston Brembo calipers on for window dressing. On garbage brake system. I almost lost brakes from boiling The fluid in the cheap brake lines. And there is no warning. You get a couple squishy feels then nothing. And young guys are ultimately gonna die because of this window dressing. (Stock on launch edition 18" Forged BBS. 245/50/18 dunlop Sport maxx, Brembo calipers, **** brake system). I have a big problem with this. Because in my oppinion by Using Brembo with this set up is if not outright false advertizing it is highly missleading and it will cost lives eapecially with the rowdy group of guys that drive the wrx/sti.

In conclusion, WRX/ STI cheap to modify if you want a low cost way to kill yourself. If you want to be safe while modifying STi is 100-150% more expensive than my cla. For air/fuel augmentation mods and even 400whp no peripheral modifications needed. (Ps do not respond to this book arguing the hp). It means nothing. If u slapped 400 whp to my Subbie you would be buying a new upper half shortly after as well. Again, m133 titanium rock solid power house. In my humble oppinion Cla45 AMG with race package OEM upgrades should be the most talked about car in 20 years if not ever. I will not go into the 20 reasons why for now. Hopefully this is a good summary of WHY? Then again I could have just said because I can and boys love toys. Especially toys with Valvetronic exhaust so I can keep it as my little secret from the Mrs!!! I feel so dirty.

P.S
I need to confirm on this $1600 intake in 24 hrs. I would like to know if there is noticable difference in decreased engine temps, intake air temp, HP, sound. Any input would be great.
Thanks in advance,

R
Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 PM

cla 45 amg
^ passionate... Yes
Crazy.... Hell yeah
Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rhawley
I like James mod all my cars. All cars stock are by default set up to run sub optimal (like ****) do mostly to emission regulations and to a lesser extent improved mechanical length of life. Europe makes us look like we are still living in 1970 regarding admission regulations. So its a no brainer for me. I like power. And not for five minutes until heat soaked. I have a 2015 STI stock 305 hp. Dynotech dyno bolt on 260 whp at 6390 rpm. I replaced headers to tips, intake, FI's to 1000cc, FP, intercooler, protune, heat shield/blanketed turbo, wrapped headers/DP. 330 whp at 4200 rpm 395 Ib/Ft/tq at 3750. And i have the graphs. No need for new clutch. No turbo work, internals, no head work. Runs amazing and consistent power without soak. However, it is a subaru. Nice car but cheaper. Now it is fast. To fast for the OEM brakes,rotors, calipers, suspension, etc. torque to much for engine mounts. To make its handling/stopping match its power gain is approx 6k underestimated.

At first glance it seems obviously cheaper to mod a sti over Cla45. BPV/MAP block plate for 2015 STi is about 60 bucks. Haha you see my point. I put a touch over $6500 in Sti upgrades. For the same price almost to the dollar I get 400 whp in a lighter car😏.

The point to this rambler is the benz comes more or less track ready OEM from chassy and braking ,etc. No upgrades needed for power matching. My STi is dangerous now. I know young guys are market target for STi.

It makes me quite angry that Subaru and Brembo team up and put 4 piston Brembo calipers on for window dressing. On garbage brake system. I almost lost brakes from boiling The fluid in the cheap brake lines. And there is no warning. You get a couple squishy feels then nothing. And young guys are ultimately gonna die because of this window dressing. (Stock on launch edition 18" Forged BBS. 245/50/18 dunlop Sport maxx, Brembo calipers, **** brake system). I have a big problem with this. Because in my oppinion by Using Brembo with this set up is if not outright false advertizing it is highly missleading and it will cost lives eapecially with the rowdy group of guys that drive the wrx/sti.

In conclusion, WRX/ STI cheap to modify if you want a low cost way to kill yourself. If you want to be safe while modifying STi is 100-150% more expensive than my cla. For air/fuel augmentation mods and even 400whp no peripheral modifications needed. (Ps do not respond to this book arguing the hp). It means nothing. If u slapped 400 whp to my Subbie you would be buying a new upper half shortly after as well. Again, m133 titanium rock solid power house. In my humble oppinion Cla45 AMG with race package OEM upgrades should be the most talked about car in 20 years if not ever. I will not go into the 20 reasons why for now. Hopefully this is a good summary of WHY? Then again I could have just said because I can and boys love toys. Especially toys with Valvetronic exhaust so I can keep it as my little secret from the Mrs!!! I feel so dirty.

P.S
I need to confirm on this $1600 intake in 24 hrs. I would like to know if there is noticable difference in decreased engine temps, intake air temp, HP, sound. Any input would be great.
Thanks in advance,

R
Arma makes 2 different intakes, one w a valve and one valveless. I installed the valveless one which was around 1100 bucks. I did not do any dyno testing but I can tell you that the stock filter does look way more restrictive (paper filter) the arma intake is much louder.

Check out my video. In this vid there is no BOV installed

http://www.enjoygram.com/m/770586855347580966_145056275
Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 PM

2014 cla45 amg/ 2015STI
Right on to Both. When you see as many mangled 18yo kids as I do in my line of work it can lead to ill temperament, illogical cognition, linear thought progression (as my schizophrenic essay demonstrates). So more ore less crazy.

"Bonkers, off the rocker, completely lost your head or marbles. But let me let you in on a little secret. All the best people are! "

P.S if anyone knows where that is from without freaking googling it I am your true friend.

R
Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 PM

E class
can anyone confirm with any of these ECU TUNES and nothing else added that the CLA45 will run sub 4 sec 0-60? is race start needed to achieve this?
thx
Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 AM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by Fly by night
can anyone confirm with any of these ECU TUNES and nothing else added that the CLA45 will run sub 4 sec 0-60? is race start needed to achieve this? thx

3.7 seems to be the number with a tune and race start. I think you'll lose .2 or so with a soft launch.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bmoney12
3.7 seems to be the number with a tune and race start. I think you'll lose .2 or so with a soft launch.
How is that TCU tune treating you?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:40 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by jamesyot
How is that TCU tune treating you?
I ended up trading my 14 in for a 15 and never reapplied the TCU tune. I need to send it back so they can reflash it as its locked to one car. The 15 DCT feels better than my 14 did with TCU tune so I may just leave it as is.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
Originally Posted by Rhawley

P.S
Thanks in advance,

R
I have a new ARMA switchable intake for the CLA 45 still in the box that I bought a few months ago but never installed. PM me if you are interested.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:56 PM

E class
Originally Posted by bmoney12
thank you for info
can anyone who has just ECU tune confirm that not using race start the CLA45 is running sub 4 sec 0-60 times?
i want to believe this but can anyone who has any brand tune confirm
thx
trying to decide if i want to tune or not.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GT63S
Hey James, you got any videos of what your car sounds like now? I'm curious to see!