CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018
View Poll Results: Which would you recommend more?
2015 CLA 45 AMG
100.00%
2014 C350 Coupe
0%
2014 BMW 428i
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Buying a CLA 45 AMG - Need honest, owner reviews!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C350 Coupe
Smile Buying a CLA 45 AMG - Need honest, owner reviews!

Hello, I am new to this forum! I have been lurking around for quite some time reading over different models (Wasn't too sure what I wanted to purchase). I had my eyes set on a 2014 C350 Coupe (Black), then went to a Camaro ZL1, and then back to a C350, and now a CLA 45 AMG.

I was trying to find some honest owner reviews about the CLA 45 AMG. Is it TRULY an amazing car, or would a C350 2014 be just enough. I love the look of the C350 a lot more, but I love the power & sound of the CLA 45 AMG.

Will be coming from a 2014 VW GLI (30th Edition), and it's a sedan. I've had a sedan all my life, and wanted to change it up (Hence the C350 Coupe), and never really loved the CLA because of how small it looks. I am 6'1 thin/medium built (The recaro seats wrap around me perfectly!).

So please please please! Give me all your honest reviews about this vehicle! I want to purhase it, but I don't want to feel like I wasted my money after a year, and try to find another vehicle

Much appreciated!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Originally Posted by nostro
Hello, I am new to this forum! I have been lurking around for quite some time reading over different models (Wasn't too sure what I wanted to purchase). I had my eyes set on a 2014 C350 Coupe (Black), then went to a Camaro ZL1, and then back to a C350, and now a CLA 45 AMG.

I was trying to find some honest owner reviews about the CLA 45 AMG. Is it TRULY an amazing car, or would a C350 2014 be just enough. I love the look of the C350 a lot more, but I love the power & sound of the CLA 45 AMG.

Will be coming from a 2014 VW GLI (30th Edition), and it's a sedan. I've had a sedan all my life, and wanted to change it up (Hence the C350 Coupe), and never really loved the CLA because of how small it looks. I am 6'1 thin/medium built (The recaro seats wrap around me perfectly!).

So please please please! Give me all your honest reviews about this vehicle! I want to purhase it, but I don't want to feel like I wasted my money after a year, and try to find another vehicle

Much appreciated!

I really loved my car! It was fast, looked great and sounded great!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
I have both a 2013 BMW 335xi and now a 2015 CLA45.

Interior room:

The perception is that the CLA is small; however, it's a lot roomier than expected. I have a 5 year old and a 2 months old. With the baby seat behind my wife seat, there is a lot more room than in the BMW which makes my wife happier. She's actually comfortable unlike with the BMW.

Power:

It's a no contest here. The AMG wins hands down. The 335 is faster than your other two option but can't keep up with CLA45.

Performance Handling:

Out the box the CLA45 is the better performer but that's to be expected. It has the full AMG treatment vs a basic 335. Even on the stiffest setting, the BMW feels really floaty and has tons of body roll.

Fuel efficiency:

Despite the additional power, the CLA45 returns the same gas mileage as my 335. That's impressive.

3rd party perception:

Stock for stock, The CLA45 gets a lot more attention and interest than my 335 ever did. People also assume that it is quite a bit more expensive than it is.

My overall thoughts on it:

Prior to purchasing the CLA I've looked at several options including the 435 Xi Gran Coupe. Nothing felt and looked as special as the CLA45. Now that I've owned the car for a couple month, I have absolutely no buyers remorse. It has great styling, feels and look special inside and out, it's fast and the technology it offers is on point. Even tiny details like having the rear camera retract into a small compartment when not in use to protect it from the element.
Off the options you presented, neither the 428 or C350 are even in the same league in my honest opinion.

My 45 AMG

Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 PM

2014 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by jamesyot
I really loved my car! It was fast, looked great and sounded great!
Thanks for the inout Jamesyot! I've currently narrowed down my decision to a 2015 Camaro ZL1 & the 2015 CLA45 AMG. Yes I do realize it's comparing apples to oranges, but in retrospect, I look for cars that have power, excellent exhaust sound, and exterior looks. The one thing I dislike about the CLA looks is it reminds me a bit of a "Hot Wheel" or something out of an Asian anime. While the ZL1 is monstrous, and mean looking, but I'll be working to basically pay for it's gas all my life.

The one I found is a Black CLA 45 AMG, with the Matte Black rims, Premium & Premium + package, the recaro seats, pano, night package (I am from Canada), and the Performance Exhaust.

I don't want to buy a car then have buyers remorse (Which I tend to have, because either I am not satisfied or my Fiance)
Old 06-08-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
No one here can really reassure you that you won't have buyer's remorse with either cars.

You seem to be focused on power, exhaust sound and looking cool. The ZL1 does fit the bill on all those points. If you choose the CLA45, you will sacrifice raw power, you will sacrifice the V8 exhaust tones, and clearly you don't think the CLA45 looks as cool as the ZL1.

But what you get is AWD, way better gas mileage, entry-level MB luxury, and TBH, NOT a Chevy.

Up to you really. I do miss my Cobra's Magnaflows some days.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,068 Likes on 675 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Which one if any did you test drive? A lot of times that will make your short list shorter or give you the answer you seek straight up. You might also want to take in the ATS-V which has a little more room than the CLA, makes great sounds, excellent performance, etc. Not sure why it doesn't ping on more radars. Another possibility is the GLA 45 which might have a better WAF than the CLA if that matters.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Put simply, I love my CLA 45. Also, if you feel like modding, the current upgrades that exist make it wicked fast. Put a set of Michelin PSS's on there once your stock tires are done, and you've got yourself a very fine vehicle.

+1 for the talk about interior room. The car is definitely roomier than you'd expect. Trunk can hold a surprising amount of luggage, too. It's one of the perfect all around cars, IMO.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:24 PM

CLA45 AMG
Once you test drive the CLA45 you will buy it. The car wasn't even on my radar until I test drove one and that's all I could think about for the next 2 weeks. Car was 10k over my budget and I said screw it. No buyer's remorse at all.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
If you are looking at a camaro...why not just get a used C63
Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
CLA45 lasted about 6 months for us. Fit/finish and just overall subpar.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 PM

GLA
Originally Posted by soolman32
I have both a 2013 BMW 335xi and now a 2015 CLA45.

Interior room:

The perception is that the CLA is small; however, it's a lot roomier than expected. I have a 5 year old and a 2 months old. With the baby seat behind my wife seat, there is a lot more room than in the BMW which makes my wife happier. She's actually comfortable unlike with the BMW.
Interested in the baby seat part did you have a 335 4 dr? , pics on the set up in the cla?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Originally Posted by Fly by night
CLA45 lasted about 6 months for us. Fit/finish and just overall subpar.
I agree. It doesn't compare in quality to the other MB vehicles I own. I'm stuck with mine for a while longer unfortunately but can't wait to get rid of it. I did say I would buy it over the other vehicles the OP suggested but there are lots of other vehicles I would look at over this one.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:01 AM

'15 C63S
I think the core problem with some of your guys' expectations is that you're expecting the cheapest MB to have the same build quality/fit/finish as the more significantly expensive ones.

C'mon, really? It's a $30k-base chassis. Sure, AMG got a hold of it and slapped in their magic.. but in the end, it's STILL a $30k chassis. Trade-offs were made to reach that price point. This is the clear problem even with the magazine reviewers; they're approaching the CLA expecting S-class just because there's a MB badge.

If you look at it for what it truly is; it's a brilliantly executed car: An entry-level luxury, AWD, great gas mileage, ridiculously fast, technologically advanced, easily tuneable car. Sales numbers don't lie; the public still can't get enough of the CLA.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:31 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by M-type
Interested in the baby seat part did you have a 335 4 dr? , pics on the set up in the cla?
Yes it's a 2013 335 sedan. Rather than get this thread off track, I'll PM you some pics later.

Originally Posted by vaelin
I think the core problem with some of your guys' expectations is that you're expecting the cheapest MB to have the same build quality/fit/finish as the more significantly expensive ones.

C'mon, really? It's a $30k-base chassis. Sure, AMG got a hold of it and slapped in their magic.. but in the end, it's STILL a $30k chassis. Trade-offs were made to reach that price point. This is the clear problem even with the magazine reviewers; they're approaching the CLA expecting S-class just because there's a MB badge.

If you look at it for what it truly is; it's a brilliantly executed car: An entry-level luxury, AWD, great gas mileage, ridiculously fast, technologically advanced, easily tuneable car. Sales numbers don't lie; the public still can't get enough of the CLA.
You're absolutely right. Love my 45 inside and out and so far it's living up to the expectation I had based on the research I did.

Last edited by soolman32; 06-14-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:29 PM

E class

The CLA base model is better overall than the 45 IMO for the price diff of 30k. The public loves the cla in base form but 45AMG sales are sluggish and resale is dropping like a rock on this version.
Like i said just sold the 45 and bought a 13' ML63 for about 10k more (115K sticker) it's much better quality overall and just as fast

Last edited by Fly by night; 06-14-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:55 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
resale is dropping like a rock on this version. Like i said just sold the 45 and bought a 13' ML63 for about 10k more (115K sticker) it's much better quality overall and just as fast
AMG's in general have bad resale unless it's a black series. I'd say it worked out in your favor on the ML63.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:22 AM

'15 C63S
The CLA base model is better overall than the 45 IMO for the price diff of 30k. The public loves the cla in base form but 45AMG sales are sluggish and resale is dropping like a rock on this version.
Like i said just sold the 45 and bought a 13' ML63 for about 10k more (115K sticker) it's much better quality overall and just as fast
You clearly prove my statement true, that you (and most critical reviews of the A-class platform) expect something that's not realistic, borderline ridiculous.

The ML63 starts with a M-class chassis. I have the same chassis as you do; but in '12 ML350 BlueTec form. It's definitely a nicer build than my CLA45. But the base price for the cheapest M-class is close to 50k. Base price for the CLA-class is 30k. Are you really expecting the same fit & finish? I'm pretty sure my build quality is on par with your AMG's. I paid 35k (sticker ~70). Based on your logic, you overpaid.

Bringing the argument of 'I can get better build quality for cheaper/same price if I buy used' is kind of silly too. You could buy a used Maybach too for that price. Pretty sure you'd be baller in a S-class Maybach.. and just as fast.

Lets compare apples to apples here; the CLA-class is extremely competitive at the 30k price point. AMG adds the extra dimension to performance, and whether you want to argue the price is worth it or not, it clearly is worth it to a lot of people because it took over a year for MB to catchup with production demands. Resale may drop like a rock, but 1) I don't exactly see tons of 45's here in the San Francisco bay area and I drive a lot and 2) the last 45 that arrived at my local dealership (Stevens Creek) sat for two days before being sold and 3) Autotrader only has 57 used or certified ones in all of the United States.

In the end, the CLA45 works for a lot of people. It's the right balance of performance, styling, luxury and fuel economy.

At least we're not driving Volvos.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:41 AM

E class
You clearly prove my statement true, that you (and most critical reviews of the A-class platform) expect something that's not realistic, borderline ridiculous.

The ML63 starts with a M-class chassis. I have the same chassis as you do; but in '12 ML350 BlueTec form. It's definitely a nicer build than my CLA45. But the base price for the cheapest M-class is close to 50k. Base price for the CLA-class is 30k. Are you really expecting the same fit & finish? I'm pretty sure my build quality is on par with your AMG's. I paid 35k (sticker ~70). Based on your logic, you overpaid.

Bringing the argument of 'I can get better build quality for cheaper/same price if I buy used' is kind of silly too. You could buy a used Maybach too for that price. Pretty sure you'd be baller in a S-class Maybach.. and just as fast.

Lets compare apples to apples here; the CLA-class is extremely competitive at the 30k price point. AMG adds the extra dimension to performance, and whether you want to argue the price is worth it or not, it clearly is worth it to a lot of people because it took over a year for MB to catchup with production demands. Resale may drop like a rock, but 1) I don't exactly see tons of 45's here in the San Francisco bay area and I drive a lot and 2) the last 45 that arrived at my local dealership (Stevens Creek) sat for two days before being sold and 3) Autotrader only has 57 used or certified ones in all of the United States.

In the end, the CLA45 works for a lot of people. It's the right balance of performance, styling, luxury and fuel economy.

At least we're not driving Volvos.
I have also owned non amg cars with msrp's below 50k just to be clear that it's not all amg's in my car history. The trans was subpar for the cost and it rattled from the very beginning of ownership. I had a loaner C400 for a few weeks during the turbo recall on the 45 that i enjoyed better. If you/other 45 owners are enjoying the car that's great but the ownership was certainly not enjoyable for us despite the fact that the car looked great.

I was fully aware that Mercedes was behind in production on both the 250/45 that's why we moved ours at the right time to avoid such a big hit (6 months ago used 13' 45's were strong on resale market) My final take is that there are many options in the market for 60-65k price, and yes even buying something used still under factory warranty should be a consideration and makes good sense for OG poster. I would say buying a used 10 year old Maybach 57 wouldn't be a consideration however a 2-3 year old E63 would be a solid option or a slightly used C63.

JMO.....no biggie
have a nice week

Last edited by Fly by night; 06-15-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
I got to test drive one & build a wide body kit for it. The car is quick and roomy. I'm almost 7 foot tall & I had leg / head room. It was nice. The monitor was a little oddly placed and I didn't like that.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:35 AM

CLA45 AMG
I have a 2015 CLA45 and love it. It is a daily drive for me. Fast, responsive, makes all the right noises, very fun and is a pleasure to drive.