CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Renntech or Weistec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLA 45 AMG
Renntech or Weistec

So I am debating about tuning my car and which company I should use. I contacted my dealer and they have advised me that they use Renntech and if I were to have the tune done at their dealership, my warranty will not be voided and if I were to encounter any tuned related issues later on, if I brought the vehicle back to them my warranty will still be intact. I have also found another tuner that uses Weistech product but his own software. He guarantees that my warranty will not be voided either. I am so confused. Any advice on what I should do because my main concern is my warranty. HELP!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RedHotz; 07-23-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
If you have any power train issue and the dealer starts to investigate more and finds a non dealer authorized ecu remapp your warranty will be voided and any future claims will be denied. The car will be flagged in the MB system.

Now on the other hand if you take your car in for an headlight issue and you have a non dealer authorized ECU tune they will not be checking the ECU and hence your warranty will be honored.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
If you don't want any risks. Go with Renntech. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you a good price for the tune.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:25 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
Well I am waiting to hear back from my dealer about the numbers they can get along with pricing, obviously. Like I've said before, my main concern is my warranty. So if you could provide me with the price and details that would be great. Thank you.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Originally Posted by VividRacing
If you don't want any risks. Go with Renntech. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you a good price for the tune.
I just talked to my rep at Weistec and he assured me that their tune is undetectable by the dealer. 45-50 hp with the tune. Add a downpipe and get approximately 60 whp +116 ft lbs wheel torque.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Life is short..drive a tune

Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
OETuning. Excellent, reliable tunes & excellent customer service.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 AM
hs1

A45 AMG
renntech

what fuel do they tune it for btw ?

Originally Posted by VividRacing
Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 AM

2017 C63S Coupe Edition 1
RedHotz,

I am in the same boat... I totally dig the Weistec tune for the bigger HP/TQ and the fact that they are local to me makes it even better. The Renntech offers fun with much more peace of mind...

HP vs. peace of mind...

I will let you know what I choose and how it goes in the next few weeks when I make up my mind and make the move.

Hope you are loving your CLA45!
Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by hs1
what fuel do they tune it for btw ?
The piggyback units have a side cover that you unscrew to reveal a dial switch. Usually they're preset for 93 octane which is position #6 for most of them, unless you tell them you're in a region that can only get 91. Then they'll dial down a setting. Best to contact vendor and tell them what octane you'll be primarily using to be sure you're setup right.

For flash, again, tell the tuner what's available to you and they'll setup accordingly.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:37 PM

Ford Raptor / BMW M3 / Mercedes CLA45
I have read these claims from Weistec that their tune is undiscoverable; however, the dealership can obviously see an upgraded downpipe from just popping your hood. If for whatever reason an engine component was to fail, they can trace it back to any modifications you have put into the car therefore denying your warranty. Unfortunately, you have to pay to play when modifying a car.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,061 Likes on 670 Posts
23 S580 Executive
There is a lot of greasy goo in between you and your warranty should you decide to play. Renntech, Dinan, and other prominent tuners which claim to keep your warranty intact often don't. Before you use them you're going to sign some paperwork which pretty much says you have to hang yourself if your car breaks down and the owners of the company which sold you those mods gets to sleep with your daughter. About you getting reimbursed for that blown engine, not so much.

Another problem is that dealers will often say your warranty will remain intact for various mods when they in fact have no say whatsoever about your warranty. They can and do act as a warranty station for trivial matters but when the big stuff breaks a rep from the car company comes in and decides if your warranty will be covered. If he/she says no then the dealer cannot order parts and cannot be reimbursed for labor. The dealer can of course come out of pocket for those parts and provide the labor gratis but how many of us are really that good a customer? What do things cost? I don't know on this car, on my last car (E92 M3) the DCT was 9300 dollars and the engine was 26000 and thats just parts.

At this point someone usually starts spouting M&M and that tells you right off the bat that they have never had there warranty denied after making a mod. See the way it goes down is you mod your car. Something blows up. You get it to the dealer and the dealer cant order a motor, trans or anything that costs real money without that rep I talked about previously coming in and having a look see. If that rep sees something like headers, a new downpipe, a tuning box, he/she will deny your warranty because they will say the car has had a power increase changing the car to a configuration they did not sell and they are not obligated to provide warranty on something they did not sell. Dont think they are stupid, they're very well trained and they have no mercy whatsoever because they aren't there for you, they guard the gate.

So that rep said no. What happens next is you get a call from the dealer saying they are very sorry but they cant cover the repair under warranty. You can sit there and spout M&M, stomp your feet, yell, scream, jump up and down, it don't mean jack. The dealer was never in possession of your warranty, the OEM was. So now you go back to Renntech, Dinan, doesn't matter who and ask for your warranty and thats where you learn that you have to hang yourself and that some fat old guy that works at corporate is going to bone your daughter.

I mod, not just a little, pretty much everything I buy with a motor. I'm not preaching here but I am saying think about what you're doing. If you cant afford to fix every single thing that might break you should take pause and consider where you might be. When your warranty gets denied you either come out of pocket or get your car towed to wherever its going to sit while you come up with the money to fix it or follow a process which could take a year or more. For some people not a problem, for others big problem.

Think it through.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM

A45
For those that are interested in going the RENNtech route, here are the results from my car after recently having their Stage 1 flash tune (not their box)..

Dyno results at crank on RENNtech's rollers straight after flash -

Renntech or Weistec-img_1482.jpg

Then dyno'd again last weekend at a dyno day held by another tuner (MSL). This time results are at wheels -

Renntech or Weistec-img_1537.jpg

Delivery (as you can probably see from the flat torque curve) is very smooth and progressive with a very strong top end. Torque can be increased if wanted, but I like the progressive delivery personally as I feel it will give better reliability and not put too much pressure on the box. Besides, nearly 400lbft at the wheels is hardly lacking..

Performance on the road is the best bit. The car is strong through the mid range and pulls like hell towards the top end of the rev band 5.5-6.5 (much like the stock delivery, just a lot more). This is probably why the car is putting down the Vbox numbers it is as when on WOT through the gears, the car generally sits between 5 and 6.5k rpm and that is where this map pulls out it's trump card.

Renntech or Weistec-img_1538.jpg
Renntech or Weistec-img_1494.jpg
Renntech or Weistec-img_1495.jpg
Renntech or Weistec-img_1493.jpg

60-130mph is around 11.5 sec mark for all those who like this benchmark.

Going to be taking the car to the track very soon to see what 1/4 mile results we are looking at. However, Vbox is already showing around 11.7 @ 117-118mph

Can't speak for the Weistec map as I have no experience of it and haven't seen any numbers. I am sure it will be a good product though.

All round I am a very happy customer and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking at going down the flash tune route

Last edited by Iggy Higgins; 08-11-2015 at 08:35 AM.