CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by ggonzaga
The C63 S is too much car.. and the C450 isn't as sporty as the CLA45, I just didn't like it. I don't think it deserves the AMG badge, all it has is AMG tuning but that's about it compared to the C400.

Guys, I'm seriously considering the Cadillac ATS-V or the CTS-VSport (not the CTS-V, the VSport is a notch down). They both look WAY better than the CLA and they have some impressive numbers. Is it worth giving it a look? I think it looks completely badass.
ATS-V is a really nice looking car but i would be cautious depending on where you live. If you live in a colder climate a rear wheel drive 464 hp car would not be the best choice for a new driver. I know you say your kid is responsible and i'm sure he is but pretty much every new driver in the world is going to smack up their new car. RWD with that much power makes it just that much easier. CLA45 AMG or C450 would be a much smarter choice. AWD makes a huge difference
Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Yeah it seems great but I think I'll call that one off as they don't want to get a good deal on one with me. Plus I've been talking to my MB salesman for so long it'd be a dick move to say no deal to him after all the help he's got me and I'd probably burn my reputation over at that dealership which has given me the best deals around.

So I'm really down to the CLA45 or wait until next month for a C450 AMG. The C450 is heavier, slower, more calm on the road but a lot more luxurious on the inside. It's 0-60 is 4.8s while the CLA45 can make it in 4-4.1. Also I really want to hear the exhaust note on the C450 because I never heard one and the reviews I find online are pretty bad and useless and most picture the wagon version from Germany.

What do you guys think is best: CLA45 or C450 AMG?
Does anyone have an exhaust video for the C450?
I'm always a little leery of "launch mode" performance numbers.

The 5-60 result is interesting: http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/cla45-amg

These C450 exhaust videos are decent:

Here is the first dealer inventory C450 that I have seen:

http://www.mbwestminster.com/new-Wes...WF6EB7GU104758

...so they should start showing up at the dealerships in the next few days.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63S
Originally Posted by jmevox
ATS-V is a really nice looking car but i would be cautious depending on where you live. If you live in a colder climate a rear wheel drive 464 hp car would not be the best choice for a new driver. I know you say your kid is responsible and i'm sure he is but pretty much every new driver in the world is going to smack up their new car. RWD with that much power makes it just that much easier. CLA45 AMG or C450 would be a much smarter choice. AWD makes a huge difference
I live in South Florida so that isn't an issue. However we do have a lot of rain and a RWD car could probably skid easier than the CLA45 or the C450 which both have AWD (CLA45 is FWD biased; C450 is RWD biased). So I'm sure it's one of those two, awaiting my salesman email with the list of C450s they are getting next month.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:16 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by Vipershade
I'm always a little leery of "launch mode" performance numbers.

The 5-60 result is interesting: http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/cla45-amg

These C450 exhaust videos are decent:

2015 Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG 0-200 km/h : 0-124 mph Tachovideo Beschleunigung Acceleration - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QeluyaQJ5w

Here is the first dealer inventory C450 that I have seen:

http://www.mbwestminster.com/new-Wes...WF6EB7GU104758

...so they should start showing up at the dealerships in the next few days.
Thanks. I'll check out the videos later as my wifi is bad. I was pretty sure of the launch control numbers as several reviews got similar numbers, and I will probably get a custom air intake filter to get the HP up etc. But really, I'm not sure wether the C450 is the better choice or if the CLA45 has the upper hand. What would be the pros and cons for each then?
Old 09-08-2015, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
What would be the pros and cons for each then?
I would have to say, either way, he is a fortunate young man that is going to be very happy... Did you think about how you are going to top this gift come graduation?

This is in no way an exhaustive list, but it might help a little:

What did I miss?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:02 AM

2020 E63S
I would have to say, either way, he is a fortunate young man that is going to be very happy... Did you think about how you are going to top this gift come graduation?

This is in no way an exhaustive list, but it might help a little:

What did I miss?
Jesus, thanks for all these lists you've been sending in. Really. What I think is that since the C450 doesn't have all the AMG badging and stuff, it just seems like a C300 for someone who doesn't know much. I think he'd like the CLA45 because it is a true AMG, etc. Plus the luxury is not lacking at all in my opinion. Can't go wrong with Mercedes.
My salesman did though tell me he has 2 C450s all black coming in the next couple months with a HUD, but I don't know any pricing information or the other options. I think anyway we will stick to the CLA45, but I'll keep you posted for sure.
I don't know about graduation yet. Still got lots of time for thinking lol
Old 09-10-2015, 12:05 AM

Jesus, thanks for all these lists you've been sending in. Really. What I think is that since the C450 doesn't have all the AMG badging and stuff, it just seems like a C300 for someone who doesn't know much. I think he'd like the CLA45 because it is a true AMG, etc. Plus the luxury is not lacking at all in my opinion. Can't go wrong with Mercedes.
My salesman did though tell me he has 2 C450s all black coming in the next couple months with a HUD, but I don't know any pricing information or the other options. I think anyway we will stick to the CLA45, but I'll keep you posted for sure.
I don't know about graduation yet. Still got lots of time for thinking lol
I think you will be disappointed in the interior quality compared to a c class. The cla 45 is a definite step down
Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 AM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by yellows2k
I think you will be disappointed in the interior quality compared to a c class. The cla 45 is a definite step down
No ****, but I didn't think it was a bad interior. Yeah put it next to a C300 and it's not as good but whatever. I have the 7" screen with the narrow bezel which looks a lot better, and the panoramic sunroof. Then there are the Recaro seats and MBTex on the upper dash with contrast stitching across it. If you think that's a bad interior damn **** then I better buy a Flying Spur
Old 09-10-2015, 12:18 AM

That's not what I'm saying at all. Having come from a vw mk6 gti to a w204 c63. The cla 45 sb was what i was waiting for. But when i sat in it. I felt it was no better than the golf interior. Just poor quality materials. The c class although nice pails in comparison to the audi rs4 interior.
Thats my observation
Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 AM

2020 E63S
That's not what I'm saying at all. Having come from a vw mk6 gti to a w204 c63. The cla 45 sb was what i was waiting for. But when i sat in it. I felt it was no better than the golf interior. Just poor quality materials. The c class although nice pails in comparison to the audi rs4 interior.
Thats my observation
I don't have high expectations for interiors to be honest. As long as it has a good looking dash and leather seats I should be fine. But that could be just me. I had a Honda Accord in Brazil, a car you pay around US$70k over there to have, yes a good Mercedes price. It obviously is a Honda therefore it doesn't have as good as an interior as a Mercedes/Audi, plus here the car is around 20-25k. However, the car interior did just fine for me. I found it to be really luxurious (it was the best equipped model but it's still an Accord), so I guess I'm used to interiors that aren't en par to its competition.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:49 AM

Funnily enough. It seems like only in nth america is a honda considered low rent
In oz. Honda is the most premium japanese manufacturer besides lexus. And a honda accord v6 is aud$60k. Ive seen the new accords and they are decently appointed. Nothing to sneeze at.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:20 AM

2020 E63S
Funnily enough. It seems like only in nth america is a honda considered low rent
In oz. Honda is the most premium japanese manufacturer besides lexus. And a honda accord v6 is aud$60k. Ive seen the new accords and they are decently appointed. Nothing to sneeze at.
I'm not talking about the new one, they're nice I guess. I'm talking back in 2008 lol but still. My point is I don't think the CLA45 has a "bad" interior. It's not as well-made because it's still a CLA. But I'm coming from a country that makes a Chevrolet Cruze look like a luxury car because it is one there, so interiors are really overrated there and the CLA therefore is no problem lol
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 AM

i understand, i was in rio in 05 and 06. ive seen some of the cars.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
AS I OWN BOTH A C CLASS and CLA 45 AMG IT'S really not bad at all.
both great cars .
having a c400 for weeks as a loaner for tranny replacement on the c class.
the cla 45 I have is up to par with the quality of c400 and the coming of the c450.

but my cla is fully fully loaded, recaro's leather interior and dash.
the cla 45 is a true AMG one man one engine.
to the op your son would enjoy the 45 much more and the 4matic is a big plus .
Old 09-10-2015, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by tekfoc
both great cars .
the cla 45 I have is up to par with the quality of c400 and the coming of the c450.

Interior-wise, the C400 and the C450 are apples and oranges... Apples and apples would be C63 and C450.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:03 AM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by tekfoc
both great cars .

Thanks. Yeah the one we're looking at is also fully loaded except for a thing or two. So it does have Recaro seats full leather interior, multimedia pkg premium pkg all that stuff you get the point.
Thanks for your input I'm going to the dealership this coming week, keeping you all posted forsure
Old 09-10-2015, 11:04 AM

2020 E63S
Interior-wise, the C400 and the C450 are apples and oranges... Apples and apples would be C63 and C450.
How so? The interior from the entire C-Class line is all the same except for interior trims and stuff like that. What do you mean though?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
How so? The interior from the entire C-Class line is all the same except for interior trims and stuff like that. What do you mean though?
There is $8200 worth of interior options that you can't get on anything besides the C450/C63/C63S (and that's besides the "unselectable" stuff like the instrument cluster, head unit enhancements, and head-up display enhancements).
Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 PM

2020 E63S
There is $8200 worth of interior options that you can't get on anything besides the C450/C63/C63S (and that's besides the "unselectable" stuff like the instrument cluster, head unit enhancements, and head-up display enhancements).
Well, in my opinion those 8k worth of options don't make the car feel any more luxurious in the inside. They look the same basically. That might just be me though, I'm not picky with all the materials and stuff. I don't see a reason to get leather if you can get MbTex, much less Nappa leather. If the options you are talking about include things like Driver Packages and stuff of the type then it has nothing to do with the interior refinement.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Well, in my opinion those 8k worth of options don't make the car feel any more luxurious in the inside. They look the same basically. That might just be me though, I'm not picky with all the materials and stuff. I don't see a reason to get leather if you can get MbTex, much less Nappa leather. If the options you are talking about include things like Driver Packages and stuff of the type then it has nothing to do with the interior refinement.
I got nothin else... with that logic.

It sounds like you really just need a good source for AMG badges.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
lol... no I'm in the US. Why can't the car just be in one of the parent's name so there is no Provisional tag? Also 3yrs is fcking ridiculous. The CLA 45 is going under my name to avoid getting insurance too ****ing high.
3 years is not effin rediculous. Honestly, most kids total at least one car before things click about all the stuff you have to keep on top of when driving.

Gas, brake, steer... thats the easy part. It's all the peripheral stuff that takes time to sink in. Wait, what's that dog doing between those parked cars? Is that a wet area up in the turn ahead? Oh, it just started raining... HOW MUCH slower do I HAVE TO go? Because you know no kid WANTS to go slower, and not any slower than they HAVE TO. How do you learn how much slower you have to go? Usually by not going slow enough and OOPS. Off the road. Hope it was an open field and not a parked Ferrari or a pedestrian he just hit.

Also, you worked hard and earned it, but he has not yet had the opportunity to. I believe in giving kids the opportunities, and if you have it seeding the capital they need, so they CAN earn it. Giving him the car is DENYING him the opportunity of earning it, BTW.

Finally, if you misrepresent the ownership and who will be driving the car, and something big happens, you will be in a very dangerous place wrt to the insurance. IF you can truly afford to drop 100k on the kids car, then you truly CANNOT afford to mis-insure it, because god forbid someone gets seriously injured or killed, the lawsuits will certainly come back looking for your assets. All your assets.

If you have anywhere near the assets you claim to,,, you are far better off putting him in a NICE (3 yr CPO) Honda Accord and way over insuring it. Even a beater Mercedes or BMW could be lawsuit magnet in the hands of a kid.

Take the remaining 90k and use it to make sure he has all the opportunities that a lack of capital can deny. Having a MB in High School is not one of those opportunities.

Last edited by nycphotography; 09-11-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
I got nothin else... with that logic.

It sounds like you really just need a good source for AMG badges.
Or perhaps he just likes the CLA45 better than the C450.

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Honestly, most kids total at least one car before things click about all the stuff you have to keep on top of when driving.
You're saying 50+% of kids total their cars? Seems highly unlikely.

Last edited by bmoney12; 09-11-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by bmoney12
You're saying 50+% of kids total their cars? Seems highly unlikely.
Ok, Let's replace "total" with "wreck" and yes I'll stand by that. "Most kids wreck their first car."

What do the facts say? For a randomly selected given year (2009 because thats the year I could find although I looked some years ago and found similar data), there were 10.3 million licensed drivers 19 and under, of which 2.0 million were involved in accidents, or 19.6%. Over 3 years that works out to roughly 60%. Were they all at fault? no. Were they all total losses? no. Were some of the kids repeat offenders skewing the extrapolation? of course.

Does any of that matter? Not when you put a 16 year old in a $100k muscle car. 60% chance that first car will end up wrecked says a lot.

Fact source - The US Government: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1114.pdf
Old 09-11-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Ok, Let's replace "total" with "wreck" and yes I'll stand by that. "Most kids wreck their first car."

What do the facts say? For a randomly selected given year (2009 because thats the year I could find although I looked some years ago and found similar data), there were 10.3 million licensed drivers 19 and under, of which 2.0 million were involved in accidents, or 19.6%. Over 3 years that works out to roughly 60%. Were they all at fault? no. Were they all total losses? no. Were some of the kids repeat offenders skewing the extrapolation? of course.

Does any of that matter? Not when you put a 16 year old in a $100k muscle car. 60% chance that first car will end up wrecked says a lot.

Fact source - The US Government: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1114.pdf
Each year kids age in to and out of that demographic so it's impossible to make that kind of statement. The 60% over 3 years isn't quite right - you're averaging data points that are different each year and include a different group of kids each year. Sure, many teens get into accidents but that certainly isn't going to prompt me to advise random strangers about their parenting skills.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by bmoney12
Each year kids age in to and out of that demographic so it's impossible to make that kind of statement. The 60% over 3 years isn't quite right - you're averaging data points that are different each year and include a different group of kids each year. Sure, many teens get into accidents but that certainly isn't going to prompt me to advise random strangers about their parenting skills.
Haha really? Impossible? I could explain it, but really math and logic aren't that hard, and it's obvious these facts make you uncomfortable and you prefer ignorance. So why would I waste explaining for one who doesn't want to know?

Anyhow, happy trails, and hope you get lucky and all your kids come through unscathed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)