CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Haha really? Impossible? I could explain it, but really math and logic aren't that hard, and it's obvious these facts make you uncomfortable and you prefer ignorance. So why would I waste explaining for one who doesn't want to know? Anyhow, happy trails, and hope you get lucky and all your kids come through unscathed.
You don't add each years percentage together like you're doing. If it's a 20% chance in 2009 and we assume the same for 2010 and 2011 then it's a 20% chance a teen will get into an accident during that period of time not 60%. You take the average if your basing your theory on the national stats you provided because each year the pool of 16 to 19 year olds changes. You'd have to track the same teens for 3 years for your logic to make sense. Then the percentages would probably look different. The total over 3 years could add up to 20% or more but it's unlikely to average 20% each year based on the same subset of drivers.

I don't even care about this subject to be honest. I have no kids and don't plan on having any. I just get annoyed when people claim things and can't back it up when challenged on it. I'm sure you remember your first claim that most teens total their first car? I have no idea what the actual number is all I'm saying is show some facts to prove your logic? No worries though we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by bmoney12; 09-12-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63S
Originally Posted by bmoney12
Each year kids age in to and out of that demographic so it's impossible to make that kind of statement. The 60% over 3 years isn't quite right - you're averaging data points that are different each year and include a different group of kids each year. Sure, many teens get into accidents but that certainly isn't going to prompt me to advise random strangers about their parenting skills.
Thank you
Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM

2020 E63S
Ok, Let's replace "total" with "wreck" and yes I'll stand by that. "Most kids wreck their first car."

What do the facts say? For a randomly selected given year (2009 because thats the year I could find although I looked some years ago and found similar data), there were 10.3 million licensed drivers 19 and under, of which 2.0 million were involved in accidents, or 19.6%. Over 3 years that works out to roughly 60%. Were they all at fault? no. Were they all total losses? no. Were some of the kids repeat offenders skewing the extrapolation? of course.

Does any of that matter? Not when you put a 16 year old in a $100k muscle car. 60% chance that first car will end up wrecked says a lot.

Fact source - The US Government: http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1114.pdf
No, it does not equal to 60%. The probability just does not add by 20% per year. If that was the case every teenager in 5 years would have gotten in an accident. There are so many variables to that you can't even have the courage to try to prove such a point. Influence of drugs/alcohol, another reckless driver, severity of the incident, jesus there are so many things that should be put into perspective that you just completely ignore.

My son can do better math than you, and I know that because he is a smart kid who is dedicated and responsible and very deserving of the car. That's why I'm not giving him a beater or some CPO Honda like you, a complete stranger, think is best for my child. That's why I was willing to blow 100k on a C63 507 Edition. And I'm pretty sure the point of this thread is "which of these NEW MERCEDES AMG vehicles should my son get" rather than "should my son get a CLA45 or an old Honda because it could teach him the skill of earning (which is bs btw)"

If you want to help out, then sure go ahead. But if you want to keep trying to tell me a car that is worth less than the down payment of this one is a better, safer car for him you must be out of your mind.
We have VERY different opinions, thinking that your values/morals with combined miscalculated statistics and speculation are any better than my knowing of my kid and the rest of nearly everyone's opinion which have been supporting the idea throughout. I suggest we agree to disagree
Old 09-13-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 W204 C250
Originally Posted by ggonzaga
No, it does not equal to 60%. The probability just does not add by 20% per year. If that was the case every teenager in 5 years would have gotten in an accident. There are so many variables to that you can't even have the courage to try to prove such a point. Influence of drugs/alcohol, another reckless driver, severity of the incident, jesus there are so many things that should be put into perspective that you just completely ignore.

My son can do better math than you, and I know that because he is a smart kid who is dedicated and responsible and very deserving of the car. That's why I'm not giving him a beater or some CPO Honda like you, a complete stranger, think is best for my child. That's why I was willing to blow 100k on a C63 507 Edition. And I'm pretty sure the point of this thread is "which of these NEW MERCEDES AMG vehicles should my son get" rather than "should my son get a CLA45 or an old Honda because it could teach him the skill of earning (which is bs btw)"

If you want to help out, then sure go ahead. But if you want to keep trying to tell me a car that is worth less than the down payment of this one is a better, safer car for him you must be out of your mind.
We have VERY different opinions, thinking that your values/morals with combined miscalculated statistics and speculation are any better than my knowing of my kid and the rest of nearly everyone's opinion which have been supporting the idea throughout. I suggest we agree to disagree
Well said. My daughter just turned 19 (sophomore in college) and got a new car her senior year in HS as a 4.5 GPA honors student. Worst that happened was she scraped a couple curbs and put some rash on the rims. Certainly not totaled or even a real accident. Too many safety nannies in the world today.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by 2014 C250
Well said. My daughter just turned 19 (sophomore in college) and got a new car her senior year in HS as a 4.5 GPA honors student. Worst that happened was she scraped a couple curbs and put some rash on the rims. Certainly not totaled or even a real accident. Too many safety nannies in the world today.
Does your daughter drive a new C63?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM

2014 W204 C250
No, but she has driven my 2011 Z06 more time than I can count. That also wasn't my point. The statement was that 60% of new drivers total or wreck their cars, I was presenting a contrary example.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I understand the actual math. You multiply the odds per trial for each successive trial, but for only a couple of trials it doesn't really make a big difference. 80% chance of not wrecking the first year times 80% the second year is 64% times 80% the third year is a 51% chance of not wrecking it. That leaves a 49% chance of wrecking it. We can sit and quibble whether 49% is "most" or whether I meant "wreck" or "total" but really. All that does is prove how desperately we are working to avoid seeing the point.

Look, it's your kid. You can do what you want. No skin off my *** either way. It's not like it will ever matter to me which statistical bucket he ends up in. But I can tell you this much absolutely for certain: The odds of wrecking the C63 are higher than the odds of wrecking say a 3 year old cpo C300. You can say oh but it's a Mercedes so it's safer than bla bla, meaning IF it gets hit, it protects better. But the accident with the highest odds of survival is the one you never get into in the first place.

To be fair though, if you are seriously considering mis-insuring a 100k car, then either you can't really afford it like you think you can, or you are seriously judgement impaired when it comes to cars and money.

In either case, I find it telling that you elected to focus on the "most total", or how the odds add up. Since you can quibble and argue about those. Seriously, this smells like an emotional thing for you more than a rational decision. Perhaps you should discuss the finances and insurance with someone you know and trust (who has nothing personal to gain either way). But I'd recommend it not be one of your bffs who automatically agree with you.

I personally can't understand why you'd risk all your assets over a couple thousand a year in difference in insurance on a 100k car. It just makes no sense at all.

But you'll probably respond with the actual dollar amounts and argue about the prices of cars and insurance while completely avoiding the point. Whatever. It's not like one more entitled brat in 3 times the car he can handle will actually change the world or anything. And it's not like you rolling the dice with your family's wealth matters to me either.

Jeremiah 5:21
Old 09-13-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
No, but she has driven my 2011 Z06 more time than I can count. That also wasn't my point. The statement was that 60% of new drivers total or wreck their cars, I was presenting a contrary example.
Ah ok makes sense.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
A contrary example doesn't change the odds. "The plural of anecdote is not data."

https://sites.google.com/site/skepti...te-is-not-data
Old 09-26-2015, 02:38 PM

2020 E63S
A contrary example doesn't change the odds. "The plural of anecdote is not data."

https://sites.google.com/site/skepti...te-is-not-data
Will you stop already? I'm getting the car regardless of your little statistical info, because:
1. I CAN
2. He DESERVES it
3. He is RESPONSIBLE

Your statistics are RIDICULOUS, statistics follow the real world, not the other way around. Just because a statistic says something doesn't mean the world will comply to the data. Whatever happens in the world is what statistics ADAPT to.

Not trying to be a d1ck though.
Buying it soon!!

Last edited by ggonzaga; 09-26-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Good on you These people are suffering from a little jealousy. I know it when I see it. I hate that stupid idea of "he should start with something small and practical with no power". It's not really their concern for his safety, just a sense of entitlement, that every kid should go through their own experiences. Honestly, I was driving some very high horsepower and very dangerous cars since I was 15, that's right, 15. When I say dangerous, I mean cars with no traction control whereas the C63 has ESP and traction control and other driver aids. To this day I haven't had an accident, touch wood. Now I do however believe in skill and I was skilled coming from a pretty heavy karting background. That's what people don't get, experience is BS if it's not the right experience, driving for a long time on the road at the speed limit IS NOT EXPERIENCE!! I don't care if you're 90 years old!!

What I suggest is buy the car BUT before you let him loose. Go sign up for a driver training course on a closed track. Let him understand the car and feel it at and beyond the limit. let him practice for a while and really learn to control the car. I do this with every car I get, regardless of my experience with the last one because every car is different. Once he learns the car, and kids learn fast, he'll be confident driving it. Now obviously going mad on the public roads is not very wise but you say he's a good kid so he'll be alright and if he's already unleashed the thing on a closed circuit he might not have as much of an itch on the road.

Don't listen to these people though, I know they think they're skilled because they've reached a certain age but everyone of these idiots is gonna wrap their cars around a tree soon because of their self righteous attitude. Lewis Hamilton was a better driver than everyone on this forum at the age of 15-16, that's because he has experience where it counts and he learnt as a kid which is just like learning a language, kids learn better and faster, PERIOD!

PS. To that guy in Australia, please sell your car, it's not really you, go buy a Prius, you're oozing homosexuality through the computer.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by e500slr
Good on you These people are suffering from a little jealousy. I know it when I see it. I hate that stupid idea of "he should start with something small and practical with no power". It's not really their concern for his safety, just a sense of entitlement, that every kid should go through their own experiences. Honestly, I was driving some very high horsepower and very dangerous cars since I was 15, that's right, 15. When I say dangerous, I mean cars with no traction control whereas the C63 has ESP and traction control and other driver aids. To this day I haven't had an accident, touch wood. Now I do however believe in skill and I was skilled coming from a pretty heavy karting background. That's what people don't get, experience is BS if it's not the right experience, driving for a long time on the road at the speed limit IS NOT EXPERIENCE!! I don't care if you're 90 years old!!

What I suggest is buy the car BUT before you let him loose. Go sign up for a driver training course on a closed track. Let him understand the car and feel it at and beyond the limit. let him practice for a while and really learn to control the car. I do this with every car I get, regardless of my experience with the last one because every car is different. Once he learns the car, and kids learn fast, he'll be confident driving it. Now obviously going mad on the public roads is not very wise but you say he's a good kid so he'll be alright and if he's already unleashed the thing on a closed circuit he might not have as much of an itch on the road.

Don't listen to these people though, I know they think they're skilled because they've reached a certain age but everyone of these idiots is gonna wrap their cars around a tree soon because of their self righteous attitude. Lewis Hamilton was a better driver than everyone on this forum at the age of 15-16, that's because he has experience where it counts and he learnt as a kid which is just like learning a language, kids learn better and faster, PERIOD!

PS. To that guy in Australia, please sell your car, it's not really you, go buy a Prius, you're oozing homosexuality through the computer.
Hmm.not sure if u r referring to me. Im from sydney australia. Not sure what i said that made u think i need to sell my c63 estate. I think i worked pretty hard and earned the right to own the car. Am i jealous. Perhaps a little. But then again. I grew up relatively poor and worked hard to achieve what i have in life. Which isnt somethingthat can be said about a lot of today's youth. But if you r born into wealth then awesome. You have opportunities that not many have. Just dont **** them away.

I'm also not a fan of toyota. So a prius wont cut it. As far as being a homosexual. Wow. Classy. But no. Maybe your projecting
Old 10-15-2015, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by yellows2k
Hmm.not sure if u r referring to me. Im from sydney australia. Not sure what i said that made u think i need to sell my c63 estate. I think i worked pretty hard and earned the right to own the car. Am i jealous. Perhaps a little. But then again. I grew up relatively poor and worked hard to achieve what i have in life. Which isnt somethingthat can be said about a lot of today's youth. But if you r born into wealth then awesome. You have opportunities that not many have. Just dont **** them away.

I'm also not a fan of toyota. So a prius wont cut it. As far as being a homosexual. Wow. Classy. But no. Maybe your projecting
Wasn't even worth responding to.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55

Wow, the hell? Oozing homosexuality? You have issues man.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:32 PM

2020 E63S

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in between a CLA45, C450, or an E550 Coupe.

CLA45
Pro: True AMG, runs like crazy
Con: it's a CLA, cheap interior - bad transmission?

C450
Pro: V6 Biturbo, interior amazing
Con: Not an AMG nor does it have distinct AMG badging

E550 Coupe
Pro: V8, sexy body styling
Con: Not the AMG performance, car too old for a teenager??

Or maybe I'll just look into a couple BMWs (M3)

Nice feedback, I completely agree with you. Go easy on the Australian guy, let him drive whatever he wants and **** whoever he wants. That's all I have to say
Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM

My stepdad let me take his Ferrari F355 Berlinetta out when I was 22 years old all the time. No wrecks, no tickets, no accidents of any kind. Funny how that works. Some kids can actually be responsible. Then again, I was a spoiled jerk either, so....
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
bad transmission ? I have not had any problems with my 45 AMG tranny going almost 2yrs. no problems with the car at all if it did it would be gone asap.
can't comment on interior my car is fully loaded with recaro -leather interior and carbon fiber. I love my interior does the job.
here is another nice choice to the mix the new M2 .
http://www.gizmag.com/new-bmw-m2-coupe/39839/
Old 10-15-2015, 01:56 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by tekfoc
bad transmission ? I have not had any problems with my 45 AMG tranny going almost 2yrs. no problems with the car at all if it did it would be gone asap.
can't comment on interior my car is fully loaded with recaro -leather interior and carbon fiber. I love my interior does the job.
here is another nice choice to the mix the new M2 .
http://www.gizmag.com/new-bmw-m2-coupe/39839/
I'm not saying it breaks, I'm saying it's the number one complaint from owners. The dual clutch has trouble with shifts sometimes and it makes it awkward. The 45 we'd get would be the best equipped one - leather interior, Recaro, etc. It just still is the cheapest car Mercedes makes, and you can see the budget cuts. The hood needs a rod to stay up, what am I driving a Honda? Oh no I'm sorry even the 2015 Accord has hydraulic hood struts.

As for the M2, I have to say it looks gorgeous but for 62k I'd get the M3 or M4.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:03 PM

18 E63S
I'm not saying it breaks, I'm saying it's the number one complaint from owners. The dual clutch has trouble with shifts sometimes and it makes it awkward. The 45 we'd get would be the best equipped one - leather interior, Recaro, etc. It just still is the cheapest car Mercedes makes, and you can see the budget cuts. The hood needs a rod to stay up, what am I driving a Honda? Oh no I'm sorry even the 2015 Accord has hydraulic hood struts.

As for the M2, I have to say it looks gorgeous but for 62k I'd get the M3 or M4.
no problems with my shifts responds quickly.
I had my ecu updated and she really a beast now in mid and top end.
yea there are corners cut but for myself i'm a performance oriented driver and a big big diy person.{doesn't bother me}
I have aftermarket hood strut on my 45 .

I also own a c300 as my everyday car

Last edited by tekfoc; 10-15-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:05 PM

2020 E63S
no problems with my shifts responds quickly.
I had my ecu updated and she really a beast now in mid and top end.
yea there are corners cut but for myself i'm a performance oriented driver and a big big diy person.{doesn't bother me}
I have aftermarket hood strut on my 45 .
I also own a c300 as my everyday car
Can you send the link to those struts here? Since I'm leasing I cant go all custom and stuff so everything I do to it must be reversible, such as the struts
Old 10-15-2015, 02:44 PM

18 E63S
Can you send the link to those struts here? Since I'm leasing I cant go all custom and stuff so everything I do to it must be reversible, such as the struts
CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)-abb26a85-b882-4f71-b377-02fa1155894f.jpg

http://www.yoybuy.com/en/Show/39542113721

Last edited by tekfoc; 10-15-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:22 PM

2020 E63S
Thanks.

Is it too late to get an S4? It looks and drives good but hasn't been updated and will come out with the B9 in the US only in the 2017 model year, in other words in one more year and I can't wait for all that time. The C450, which is the S4's competitor, just looks like a C300 basically. The 335i/340i looks like a 320i for all I know. I can only distinguish an M3 and a C63 from their original versions. The S4 is easy to note I guess, with the chrome accents and stuff.

But really is it too late or still worth buying?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:41 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Thanks. Is it too late to get an S4? It looks and drives good but hasn't been updated and will come out with the B9 in the US only in the 2017 model year, in other words in one more year and I can't wait for all that time. The C450, which is the S4's competitor, just looks like a C300 basically. The 335i/340i looks like a 320i for all I know. I can only distinguish an M3 and a C63 from their original versions. The S4 is easy to note I guess, with the chrome accents and stuff. But really is it too late or still worth buying?
I wouldn't get an S4 now. Solid car though...I had a 2010. Not nearly as fun as the 45 in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:19 PM

18 E63S
Thanks.

Is it too late to get an S4? It looks and drives good but hasn't been updated and will come out with the B9 in the US only in the 2017 model year, in other words in one more year and I can't wait for all that time. The C450, which is the S4's competitor, just looks like a C300 basically. The 335i/340i looks like a 320i for all I know. I can only distinguish an M3 and a C63 from their original versions. The S4 is easy to note I guess, with the chrome accents and stuff.

But really is it too late or still worth buying?
another one that is really good contender Cadillac ATS-V
with magneto shocks make it a road warrior.
http://www.caranddriver.com/cadillac/ats-v
Old 10-15-2015, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Thanks.

The C450, which is the S4's competitor, just looks like a C300 basically.
C450 looks like a C300 as much as a C63 looks like a C300, or a CLA45 looks like a CLA250... what's your point?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)