Accidentally shifting to P while moving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45
Accidentally shifting to P while moving

Hi all, a question...

I love my CLA45 but a few times I've accidentally pressed the P button to shift to park before the vehicle has stopped fully. Occasionally if I'm in a hurry to get where I'm going I'll press P while the car is still moving at 2 or 3 km/h. This results in an almighty thud and the car comes to a very abrupt stop.

I'm trying to remember not to do that, but my question is... what if I'm driving along at full speed on the highway and the passenger (or an object) accidentally presses the P button? Will it cause my car to veer off the road and crash? Or will it destroy the transmission?
The manual only says to press the button when the car is stationary. It doesn't say what will happen if it's not stationary.
I'm talking of course about this button:

In my old car which had a manual transmission, my passengers were forever knocking the gearstick with their knee. It's less likely to happen here, but I'm worried what will happen if it does.
Many thanks!
Old 08-03-2020, 01:51 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
FYI
There is a set speed where shifting to P no longer works. I think its above 10 or 20km/h.
If you drive below this speed you can shift to P.
At least this is the case with my cars.
I don't recommend you continue doing this. The transmission shaft broke in a W124 due to shifting to P at low speed.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
xdxd (08-03-2020)