Turbo Blanket, any experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB CLA45 AMG
Turbo Blanket, any experience?

Hi.
I bought a turbo blanket supposedly fitting our turbo size. A good quality one (Real LAVA ROCK) is not so cheap.
It supposedly does a good job (read two different studies) in both extending the torque curve to the lower end (my goal), and also adding -very few- ponies. I Already have a stage 2 setup as far as for the ponies.

The fact is that between the tin heat shield between the block and the turbo, and the thick rod from the wastegate, there is no room to put it. I mean, itīs not an installation issue; rather itīs a no room issue so as to lay it.

Is there any trick or idea anyone could contribute with?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe, 1992 Corvette ZR-1, 1991 368ci ZR-1, 1990 ZR-1, 1987 Callaway TT, 05 SL600, CLA45
PTP? Mine went right on...
Old 08-10-2021, 08:58 AM

MB CLA45 AMG
You should be right.

Originally Posted by LGAFF
PTP? Mine went right on...
Guess I didnīt choose the perfect fitting one; you got the specific for M133, and I got the universal one. (https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/t3-t4)

Any experience with it you could share?

THANKS!
Old 08-14-2021, 02:10 PM

MB CLA45 AMG
Made it happen, and goes GREAT

Well, instead of wasting the one that I bought (generic T3/T4), and going to buy (again) a perfect M133 fitting blanket, I gave it a second thought.
The one that is being sold specially for this car, is almost the same concept as the metallic OEM shield; it does not fit tight around the turbo as a sock, as it should be in order to prevent the heat from being radiated, but rather it sits in the top of if, at a few mm above, so it does not block heat from being irradiated from the turbo; it mainly keeps this heat from being felt from above.
The "wrap around" blanket does this, wraps an important part of the second turbine (exhaust) so as to prevent heat from being irradiated, and thus keeping the heat inside it in the most part. And yes, it is a PITA to install because of the tin heat shield thatīs between engineīs block and the turbo and the lack of space to maneuver.
With some 1 hour fiddling, a few scars in my hands and arms, and of course some curses said, I managed to put it in place.
I WAS NOT ABLE TO PUT THE SPRINGS THOUG, but it sits so fit that it can hardly move. I managed to put it some half inch away from the blow off valveīs stem.
I include some pics for you to see how it fitted.

This way I have all the benefits of a real turbo blanket.

Anyway I was able to put in place the original heat shield, just so as to allow my car to pass the MOT, which is rejected in Chile if there is any mod at sight (and it also helps to keep it in place)

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by southerndeal
Hi.
I bought a turbo blanket supposedly fitting our turbo size. A good quality one (Real LAVA ROCK) is not so cheap.
It supposedly does a good job (read two different studies) in both extending the torque curve to the lower end (my goal), and also adding -very few- ponies. I Already have a stage 2 setup as far as for the ponies.

The fact is that between the tin heat shield between the block and the turbo, and the thick rod from the wastegate, there is no room to put it. I mean, itīs not an installation issue; rather itīs a no room issue so as to lay it.

Is there any trick or idea anyone could contribute with?

Thanks.