CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

E400 4MATIC Coupe or CLA45?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLA250
Question E400 4MATIC Coupe or CLA45?

So I'm currently in the market for a Mercedes. Im fairly young so I'm looking for something to hold on to for at least the next 3-5 years or so, With that being said I want to buy a car that I am truly going to love owning/driving every single time I get in. I've been looking around for a while now narrowing my options and its come down to two models; a 2015 e400 4MATIC Coupe or a 2014-2015 CLA45 (4MATIC is standard I believe). Im genuinely torn between these two as it seems the e400 is going to offer the elegance and luxury that MB is known for, while the CLA is going to offer that AMG prestige and sportiness. My question exactly is for anyone who has owned either of these cars (and if there is anyone who has owned both that would be amazing I would like to speak with you 1on1). But the main question is: Does the elegance of an e-class outweigh the power and feel of the CLA? & Vice Versa. The e class coupe is just a timeless design for me that I could see myself driving until the wheels fall off, I could never get tired of looking at it (especially with the Tech package headlights that just makes the car imo). But the CLA's a much more sportier looking vehicle that looks like it would knife up corners with such ease I cannot write it off (Also its an entry level vehicle with an entry level price as I do not have enough for an e63/c63 etc.). Im just wondering if its going to have to come down to me picking elegance over sportiness? I also know that about small things like the CLA's alleged colossal B pillar that seems pretty dangerous to have that big of a blind spot while driving at high speeds. Also the CLA's infamous "Iphone" display screen glued to the top of the dashboard is something that always keeps the e-class in question as I honestly don't know if that would ever grown on me as it looks so out of place. While the e-class's display is just integrated a lot better. Also another question is has anyone with an e class of this gen (w213) done any of the performance mods/tunes and can give any insight as to how much of a difference it makes? I saw eurocharged apparently has a tune that can take it from the stock 329hp to an almost unreal 480hp. I find this hard to believe with just a tune itself (maybe more believeable with bolt-ons but still, a figure like that blows a lot of other cars out of the water instantly). With THAT being said, if those numbers are true, its the e-class no brainer(& I know it has twin turbos, but still. Damn). I don't know I just want some outside input, trying to stay within the 25-30k range (35 being the absolute ceiling). Which car gives more bang for the buck? also which car would last longer in the long run as Ive read a lot of people complain about the CLA's turbo giving, and if I was to get one it would be in the 30-50k mile range. How much life would be left on the car at the point? Is it even worth it? Thanks, any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,369 Likes on 2,021 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by B1nji
So I'm currently in the market for a Mercedes. Im fairly young so I'm looking for something to hold on to for at least the next 3-5 years or so, With that being said I want to buy a car that I am truly going to love owning/driving every single time I get in. I've been looking around for a while now narrowing my options and its come down to two models; a 2015 e400 4MATIC Coupe or a 2014-2015 CLA45 (4MATIC is standard I believe). Im genuinely torn between these two as it seems the e400 is going to offer the elegance and luxury that MB is known for, while the CLA is going to offer that AMG prestige and sportiness. My question exactly is for anyone who has owned either of these cars (and if there is anyone who has owned both that would be amazing I would like to speak with you 1on1). But the main question is: Does the elegance of an e-class outweigh the power and feel of the CLA? & Vice Versa. The e class coupe is just a timeless design for me that I could see myself driving until the wheels fall off, I could never get tired of looking at it (especially with the Tech package headlights that just makes the car imo). But the CLA's a much more sportier looking vehicle that looks like it would knife up corners with such ease I cannot write it off (Also its an entry level vehicle with an entry level price as I do not have enough for an e63/c63 etc.). Im just wondering if its going to have to come down to me picking elegance over sportiness? I also know that about small things like the CLA's alleged colossal B pillar that seems pretty dangerous to have that big of a blind spot while driving at high speeds. Also the CLA's infamous "Iphone" display screen glued to the top of the dashboard is something that always keeps the e-class in question as I honestly don't know if that would ever grown on me as it looks so out of place. While the e-class's display is just integrated a lot better. Also another question is has anyone with an e class of this gen (w213) done any of the performance mods/tunes and can give any insight as to how much of a difference it makes? I saw eurocharged apparently has a tune that can take it from the stock 329hp to an almost unreal 480hp. I find this hard to believe with just a tune itself (maybe more believeable with bolt-ons but still, a figure like that blows a lot of other cars out of the water instantly). With THAT being said, if those numbers are true, its the e-class no brainer(& I know it has twin turbos, but still. Damn). I don't know I just want some outside input, trying to stay within the 25-30k range (35 being the absolute ceiling). Which car gives more bang for the buck? also which car would last longer in the long run as Ive read a lot of people complain about the CLA's turbo giving, and if I was to get one it would be in the 30-50k mile range. How much life would be left on the car at the point? Is it even worth it? Thanks, any input would be appreciated.
It certainly depends. Comparing the CLA to the E-Class, it is a huge jump in terms of luxury and size. Curious, did you consider the C400/C450/C43 at all?

The C117 CLA45's suspension is very rough/harsh even in comfort mode, the vehicle is more nimble so going through corners is a lot easier, it is easier to park. The four cylinder will have to work harder than the M276 six cylinder in the E400. The exhaust note of the C117 is actually decent as it was prior to the sound regulations in Europe and the OPF. No doubt this car will be more fun than the C238 E400.

The C238 E400's suspension is tuned for luxury and ride especially if you get air body control (although since you are keeping the vehicle for a long time I would not get one with air body control because that is a very expensive repair if it does go wrong), going through corners will have a lot of body roll, acceleration will be smooth but not necessary fun. You can totally throw it in manual mode (by configuring that in individual settings). The fit and finish/ build quality of the E400 will be a lot better. It is a dream to drive. Exhaust note is not the focus of this vehicle. I believe the E400 will be a much more reliable vehicle than the C117 CLA 45 in the long run but will cost more to maintain being an E-Class. The tuning potential you described is not surprising, since the M276 is out for a very long time with many different variants. The M276 is very reliable and there is plenty life in it if you were to consider a 35K mile vehicle like you said as long as it was properly maintained.

I would recommend getting a pre-purchase inspection, going to a dealership and see if they are kind enough to generate you a VMI (vehicle master inquiry), make sure the seller also provides the latest copy of carfax.

The problem is that you are looking at a very early model year of the vehicles. I am worried that there are many annoyances and glitches that is present which was subsequently fixed in later model years. Are you able to stretch your budget at all (you mentioned 35,000 is the maximum you can go but I am not sure how much these vehicles are worth in your country).

It will help us help you if you tell us what will your daily usage be like, is it actually your daily driver? Do you need headroom/legroom or you are the only one in the vehicle? I am guessing you don't since you considered the E-Class coupe. I agree the C238 E-Class coupe is a timeless design.

I will personally go with the E-Class coupe despite less fun but that is just me (this is a person coming from a C43 pre-facelift). That being said, the V6 is more hungry than the M133 in the C117 CLA 45 as long as you don't floor it all the time (in that case the fuel consumption would be relatively similar)

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-28-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
I have owned both a 2015 CLA45 and an e class (although this is a 2021). Best answer: get the E63 lol
Old 03-06-2022, 04:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,369 Likes on 2,021 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
OP, want to hear an update from you so did you end up getting the E class or the CLA?