CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

CLA 45 Performance Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 11:59 PM
ozo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG, Subaru WRX STI
Hah yeah I guess so. Im trying to add the Dynamic package to my order, which I should be able to. If were still not sure when I take delivery in Sept-ish Ill figure it out and report back.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:02 AM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by ozo
Hah yeah I guess so. Im trying to add the Dynamic package to my order, which I should be able to. If were still not sure when I take delivery in Sept-ish Ill figure it out and report back.
Good luck with your order and look forward to seeing your AMG.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M2
FWIW - If you haven't already see this YouTube of a 2020 CLA AMG 45 (not S) apparently without the Dynamic Package (no red brake calipers) has some decent interior audio for sounds during acceleration.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:42 PM

CLA 45S
The exhaust button on the CLA 45S does two things:

1. Opens the exhaust valve on the backbox
2. Activates AMG Real Sound which pipes sound taken from the exhaust into the cabin through the speakers

The exhaust button allows you select this function at any time, regardless of drive mode, and here the UK is fitted as standard to every 45S.

The confusing thing is that the valve isn't just open or closed. It varies based on speed, throttle position and drive mode. This is mainly due to EU Regs but also protects the valve from damage.

A few scenarios:

1. If you press the button to open the valve with the car stationary on idle you will hear it open. As soon as you rev the car it will close and only reopen when the revs drop back to idle. This allows the car to pass EU noise tests.
2. If you apply full throttle, even in comfort with the exhaust button off, the valve will open a small amount to prevent excess pressure build up which could damage it.
3. Whilst driving with the exhaust button turned on the valve will vary to what degree it is open constantly to prevent resonance etc.

AMG Real Sound can also remain on even while the valve is shut, in scenario 1 for example.

Sorry for such a long reply but it's actually quite a complex setup on the 45S
Old 08-19-2020, 01:26 AM
ozo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG, Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by CREED.
The exhaust button on the CLA 45S does two things:

1. Opens the exhaust valve on the backbox
2. Activates AMG Real Sound which pipes sound taken from the exhaust into the cabin through the speakers

The exhaust button allows you select this function at any time, regardless of drive mode, and here the UK is fitted as standard to every 45S.

The confusing thing is that the valve isn't just open or closed. It varies based on speed, throttle position and drive mode. This is mainly due to EU Regs but also protects the valve from damage.

A few scenarios:

1. If you press the button to open the valve with the car stationary on idle you will hear it open. As soon as you rev the car it will close and only reopen when the revs drop back to idle. This allows the car to pass EU noise tests.
2. If you apply full throttle, even in comfort with the exhaust button off, the valve will open a small amount to prevent excess pressure build up which could damage it.
3. Whilst driving with the exhaust button turned on the valve will vary to what degree it is open constantly to prevent resonance etc.

AMG Real Sound can also remain on even while the valve is shut, in scenario 1 for example.

Sorry for such a long reply but it's actually quite a complex setup on the 45S
interesting, thx
The following users liked this post:
CREED. (08-19-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 12:22 PM

AMG CLA45
I don't have the exhaust button on my US 2020 CLA45, I guess you get it if you get the dynamic plus package but it doesn't say anything about exhaust in that package which is confusing I wish the order guide would have been more clear. I was thinking about an aftermarket exhaust anyway.

I'm curious if anything is different in how the exhaust works in the US vs the UK cars?
Old 08-25-2020, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by sub-zero45
I don't have the exhaust button on my US 2020 CLA45, I guess you get it if you get the dynamic plus package but it doesn't say anything about exhaust in that package which is confusing I wish the order guide would have been more clear. I was thinking about an aftermarket exhaust anyway.

I'm curious if anything is different in how the exhaust works in the US vs the UK cars?
The button controls a valve in the rear muffler. It isn’t strictly an on/off valve but its angle varies depending various conditions.