CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

Running 18" winter setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG
Running 18" winter setup

My CLA 45 came equipped with the 19" AMG forged cross-spoke in matte black wheels with summer Michelins. My current intention is to buy a 2nd set of wheels to run a dedicated winter setup (with Pirellis or Michelins).

I talked to a couple parts departments at different MB dealers, and even went to one in person, and they were all unresponsive at best, and laughably clueless and unhelpful at worst.

If I go with MB wheels, the only reasonably priced way to do this is buy one of their winter tire packages. There's 3 options listed for the C118:
  1. For the CLA 45, 19" AMG 5-twin-spoke in matte black (MSRP $916 each, part # BQ6670074)
  2. For the CLA 35, 19" AMG multi-spoke in high-sheen black (MSRP $829 each, part # BQ6670075)
  3. For CLA 250, 18" AMG 10-spoke in tantalite grey (MSRP $798 each, part # BQ6670089)
Ideally I'd like to run 18" wheels for the winter setup. So my first question is, can a CLA 45 equipped with 19" wheels run 18" wheels? I think the answer is yes, since CLA 45s can be equipped with 18" wheels, even with the dynamic plus package. (The night package deletes the 18" as an option, but I doubt there's anything about the night package that would cause a problem in running 18" wheels.) A related question, one that might be harder to answer, is would the CLA 250 wheel package above would run on the CLA 45? Comparing the offset could indicate this, but I don't think it's the only factor, and evidently getting the detailed specs are difficult (as I experienced from the dealer).

I did hear back (and received a quote) from one dealer, who provided me #1 and #2 above as options. But the #2 option was described as an 18" wheel. This makes no sense to me. Wouldn't a part number be very specific to the wheel size?

Separately, I'm also looking at aftermarket, with Zito wheels as an option, although they are only 19."
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG
Well it looks like the answer to my last question is that it's a typo on Mercedes-Benz website and their part system:

The problem is, no one seems to know which is the typo... the tire size or the rim size!
Old 11-01-2021, 01:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
I think because these cars are so low volume... a lot of places don't have specs for the car or product compatibility readily available. Even a major company like TireRack doesn't have product compatibility available for the CLA45.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 AMG CLA 35
Replacement Winter Tires for MY2022 AMG CLA 35

I am picking up my new MY2022 AMG CLA 35 next week. It is coming with the summer only 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that come on the RVL matte black wheel combo.

Tire Rack offers a number of Ultra High Performance All-Season tires that can be installed on the factory wheels at a local Tire Rack specialty installer in my zip code area. They also sell substitute winter wheels that can be matched to any type of winter only or Ultra All-season tires for those that don't want to mess with TPMS and tire mount/re-mount issues.

Here is the URL I used to look for Ultra High Performance All-Season tires suitable for mid-atlantic US winter driving conditions. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL