OE Garage Opener/Homelink Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA 45
OE Garage Opener/Homelink Retrofit

Good Morning all,

New member here with a 2021 CLA 45 that was not equipped with the factory garage door opener buttons on the rearview mirror. Having recently made the jump from BMW and having integrated many OE options after-the-fact, I decided to tackle the garage opener for my 118. The mirror that came on my car was p/n: 177-810-16-05-9051 which is the basic mirror with auto-dim. The mirror I purchased was 177-810-26-05-9051 which is the mirror with auto-dim and with garage opener (no gesture control). To access the installed mirror, you simply remove the plastic surround on the windshield (snaps on/off), and lower the overhead panel (very easy - many videos online for how to do this). The mirror itself is mounted to a bracket with a strong 3-sided spring clip that requires you to twist the base about 90 degrees with an appropriately sized wrench to release and you need to detach a single purple electrical connector. Mounting the new mirror is the opposite of removal and everything on the new one mounts and plugs in exactly like the old; the entire process takes about 20 minutes.

Now, the new mirror will light up/flash when the buttons are pushed but likely will not be able to pair with an opener without some coding. The settings for mine defaulted to European garage opener frequencies and needed to be changed to American frequencies to enable my garage opener to pair. Since I already had a CANoIP coding appointment to program the DISTRONIC I retrofitted, I just had them program the new mirror at the same time. As of yesterday, it is working flawlessly.

Currently debating retrofitting some other options including multibeam headlights; however, I need to get my Xentry setup up and running before tackling any of that. Hopefully the above is helpful for someone considering the same retrofit.
The following users liked this post:
RichB31 (06-27-2023)