CLA180 scraping sound while changing to Neutral

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB CLA
Unhappy CLA180 scraping sound while changing to Neutral

Hi guys,

I own CLA180 2015 (M 270 DE 16 AL) with automatic transmission. It happened two times this week, that while driving a cold car for few seconds/meters and changing to Neutral for the first time (to close the garage door), motor releases a loud squeak/scraping sound*. Also the car doesn't completely stop but it drags forward very very slowly. Before this week, I didn't use the car for a month, but before that, there were no problems with the car. The sound appears (and strange behavior happens) only one (first) time per drive - after switching back to Drive and back to Neutral and back to Drive and so on, it doesn't happen again. Shifting through gears goes smooth.

* Sound is similar as when you hit/scrape the speed bump with plastic bottom part of the front bumper (like: rrkkkkkk).

What could this be??? Please help.

Thank you all!!
Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,422 Likes on 2,063 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by pingo
Hi guys,

I own CLA180 2015 (M 270 DE 16 AL) with automatic transmission. It happened two times this week, that while driving a cold car for few seconds/meters and changing to Neutral for the first time (to close the garage door), motor releases a loud squeak/scraping sound*. Also the car doesn't completely stop but it drags forward very very slowly. Before this week, I didn't use the car for a month, but before that, there were no problems with the car. The sound appears (and strange behavior happens) only one (first) time per drive - after switching back to Drive and back to Neutral and back to Drive and so on, it doesn't happen again. Shifting through gears goes smooth.

* Sound is similar as when you hit/scrape the speed bump with plastic bottom part of the front bumper (like: rrkkkkkk).

What could this be??? Please help.

Thank you all!!
It will help us diagnose your sound issue if you record it, are you sure it isn't something else like the electronic parking brake?