Mechanic says I need a new turbo for my cla200 c117

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cla200 c117 2013
Mechanic says I need a new turbo for my cla200 c117

Hi guys,

I'd like to start by saying I'm not very familiar with cars and their components. I'm actually extremely clueless when it comes to cars.

my car is 2013 Cla200 c117 edition 1 based in Australia.

My car was perfectly fine up Until one day it just lost power while I was just about to hit 80.
Since then my car hits 80 then just drops to 60 and can hardly have power to increase its speed no matter how much gas I give it. As if it is stuck on a gear and won't go in the next gear. More like Limp mode...

Fast forward, took it to a registered mechanic here in Australia and he looked into it. There was a service due as well so he did that and when I told him about the power loss he run the rest (see attached for code and the message). He then checked it out and told me that I need a new turbo because my one has simply worn out. I confirmed with him that the wastage gate Actuator isn't the issue however he didn't clearly tell me whether the turbo blow-off valve is the issue or not, he just said I'd need a new turbo after he ran diagnostics etc for only about 30 mins max.
I asked about the turbo blow-off valve and the wastage gate actuator only because I researched alot of posts with similar issues here on this website and most had these 2 problems that aligned with my cars symptoms..

Anyway seems like it's my bad luck and I'd need to get a new turbo.

I have a few questions and please keep in mind I really don't know much about cars so don't laugh at me lol.

1) what can I search (like a turbo serial number or something) So I can contact my local wreckers and see if they have a spare second hand one. Or if you guys can recommend me a good website where they can deliver the part to Australia.

2) can I add a different (upgrade) turbo rather than the default one to increase performance?

3) so you guys think the mechanic can possibly pinpoint a faulty turbo and check the turbo blow-off valve and the wastage gate actuator within 30 mins?

Thanks guys much appreciated.