CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Complete electrical failure - 2016 CLA 45 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 CLA 45 AMG
Complete electrical failure - 2016 CLA 45 AMG

Hi, first post in this great forum. I own a 2016 CLA 45 AMG that I purchased on December 31, 2016, from a Mercedes-Benz dealership. Two days ago I took it to an upscale car wash that I have patroned for 11 years without incident. They handwashed the car, all was well. When I turned the car on to leave, it was as if my car had been hit with an EMP: catastrophic electronic failure.

The dashboard was lit up with 7-10 different lights. I had several error messages display on the instrument cluster: SOS Inoperative, Blind Spot Assist Inoperative, Collision Assist Inoperative, Keyless Go Inoperative; windows, seats, and radio/CMND all inoperable; no headlights/turn signals. Drove the car straight to the dealership and they got back to me yesterday. Service suspected it was a fault in the front Sensory Acquisition Module (SAM), so they ordered a new one. They installed it today, ran their programming, and nothing has changed. Of course I suggested it may be water intrusion from the handwash, but they found no evidence of any water damage or intrusion.

My next thought is the wiring harness, but I'll have to wait and see what they find. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
It's at the dealership being fixed, you're ok.

For your benefit, don't mention the water damage. Warranty will be fine if it wasn't damaged, but if you leave a window down and flood the car, that's on you (your insurance at least). If they find no evidence of water intrusion, that's great, let them figure it out. Possibly central gateway issue with all those modules, but if any one module is bad and brings down the body CAN, you lose everything. They will fix it.