Why Many People Don't Buy A Mercedes - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
Why Many People Don't Buy A Mercedes - Thoughts?

I waited until close to retirement to buy my first Mercedes, had held off before as they didn't seem like exciting cars to drive, were high maintenance (due to their poor quality rating in the early 00's, has improved significantly since then) and thought they cost at minimum $50,000. Drove an A class abroad and loved the experience, made me wonder why more people don't buy this vehicle (A200). After giving some rides to colleagues, friends and relatives who had never owned a Mercedes (one exception) it was interesting to hear their comments.

- Most common remark was on the cost of the vehicle, they couldn't imagine you could get a Mercedes at that price point (even the least expensive SUV is at a pretty competitive price point) and also thought that the lowest end model would have a lot of compromises. One person who is in the market is now interested.
- Expensive to maintain. Yes and no, far more reliable today and if every oil change (after first) is 20,000 miles then the higher cost is diminished by the frequency.
- Build quality, all thought it was very luxurious, the C Class owner was very impressed.
- Technology...well of course many omg, ohhs and ahhs on that.

There are a lot of middle class buyers who spend $35,000 - $45,000 for a Japanese SUV or sedan and it never crossed their mind to look at Mercedes.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I read your post on purchasing an over priced car that is expensive to maintain,however what was or is your question?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 632 Likes on 471 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
They are expensive for what you get.
Compare a MB to a Chevy of equal size..

Load them up same options...
Compare standard features and price for options.

Price for oil change that can be about the same distance today.
PArts are cheaper since they make more and well are for a domestic car.

The domestic is way cheaper and more dealers etc.

and as always you get what you pay for.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:20 AM

Buying One
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I read your post on purchasing an over priced car that is expensive to maintain,however what was or is your question?
It’s more of an observation, more people would buy Mercedes cars if they how inexpensive some models are.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
There's no such thing as an in-expensive MB vehicle. The A220's are the cheapest, yet to get basic options that other vehicles have, thwart the cost of MB's. A fully loaded Mazda 3 is $28,000, and this is also a foreign vehicle. The interior is on par, if not better than the A220 I'm currently sitting in. There are some areas the Mazda does better, some areas the A220 does better. If anything, they're about the same - the driving mechanics are about the same, except that I think the MB does drive a bit better, while the comfort of the Mazda 3 is better.

Anyways, my point is - conscious shoppers looking at budgets don't really look at new MB's because of the cost/performance ratios. I love this A220, I'm a younger guy (30) and if I wanted to throw practicality into this, this isn't a practical car for the cost, but that's relative to your pay, life situation etc. I got it because my wife and I decided to trade a much nicer truck in and our older vehicles for a jeep and if shes' getting her dream car, then I wanted to stay happy with a tech-filled vehicle and this A220 is/was the only vehicle with this awesome tech that I could practically afford, lol.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:31 AM

Buying One
Originally Posted by Deriggs007
There's no such thing as an in-expensive MB vehicle. The A220's are the cheapest, yet to get basic options that other vehicles have, thwart the cost of MB's. A fully loaded Mazda 3 is $28,000, and this is also a foreign vehicle. The interior is on par, if not better than the A220 I'm currently sitting in. There are some areas the Mazda does better, some areas the A220 does better. If anything, they're about the same - the driving mechanics are about the same, except that I think the MB does drive a bit better, while the comfort of the Mazda 3 is better.

Anyways, my point is - conscious shoppers looking at budgets don't really look at new MB's because of the cost/performance ratios. I love this A220, I'm a younger guy (30) and if I wanted to throw practicality into this, this isn't a practical car for the cost, but that's relative to your pay, life situation etc. I got it because my wife and I decided to trade a much nicer truck in and our older vehicles for a jeep and if shes' getting her dream car, then I wanted to stay happy with a tech-filled vehicle and this A220 is/was the only vehicle with this awesome tech that I could practically afford, lol.
Interesting, you stoked my curiosity, might test drive a Mazda 3 just to compare. True comment on price my view is colored by being in DC area, college grads earn 60-110k right out of school here so to them $38-$42k is nothing to drop on a car. As an older person I’ve always been about economy/value, this exception is a pre-retirement splurge (although people here would laugh at that).