Two Aesthetic Design Flaws of the A220 - My Opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
Two Aesthetic Design Flaws of the A220 - My Opinion

The industrial design team made some compromises in my opinion for market viability:

1. The piano black finish - The car emulates both in design and in it's descriptive narrative, an aircraft. Piano black, wood veneer, those are all traits of an older generation of vehicles and don't fit the program design of this car.
2. The large Mercedes Logo on the front grill - Understood. You need brand awareness but this is over the top, it detracts from the understated elegance and "sensual purity" of the automobile. Might as well stamp a giant logo on the bonnet.

The star that lights up, that's fine because it is optional. Maybe the above two should have been optional as well.

Gorden Wagener adds his own touch to the form follows function philosophy of the Bauhaus school, 1. and 2. don't seem to be a product of his personal touch.

I get that other people will quibble about fake exhaust, manufactured engine noise in sports mode and some other details like that however I think these are reasonable given a cost factor and conflict between customer needs (such as silent cabin).
Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A220
I'm not a fan of the piano black finish, either. I don't have the wood veneer. It's some grey "fake" metal looking thing, which I actually don't mind. But the piano black is too easy to scratch, gets finger prints and shows dust a lot. I'm going to try the wax mentioned in the other thread.

The big logo in front doesn't bother me. I guess I don't really look at it all that much. It's definitely not subtle but it's ok for me.

It's minor but the plastic clippy things on the roof where I assume some sort of accessory can be fitted... I support they're functional but they look cheap to me. I'd rather it be a truly seamless piece; maybe it's just the gaps in the plastic are too noticeable to me.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220 when it gets here
Let me know how that wax works out for you. My car is at the VPC in Brunswick Georgia, so it should be arriving shortly. I put the wax in my saved items on amazon, after reading about it a bit.