Transmission not in park, risk of vehicle rolling away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220
Transmission not in park, risk of vehicle rolling away

Hi—my 2019 A220 is AWD and has the driver assistance package. Sometimes I go to turn it on and it actually won’t start the engine when the error message “Transmission not in park, risk of vehicle rolling away” pops up. It doesn’t say it’s in neutral or anything. All I can do is turn on the heat/electronics but the engine won’t turn over. I can’t change gears and applying or removing the park brake doesn’t do anything.

The only fix I’ve found is disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. I’m about 90% sure it’s because my husband is either putting the car in park and turning off the engine before it engages, or not remembering to put it in park at all. This problem has not occurred when I drive the car—ever. Only him. He insists he puts the car in park.

I saw people said it could be the door not being closed but that’s not possible—I shut all the doors to double check. It seems like he’s just not applying Park correctly and confusing the computer, but it’s really irritating that the engine won’t turn over at all at that point.

has anyone had anything similar happen?

Last edited by ccole93; 01-22-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
Originally Posted by ccole93
Hi—my 2019 A220 is AWD and has the driver assistance package. Sometimes I go to turn it on and it actually won’t start the engine when the error message “Transmission not in park, risk of vehicle rolling away” pops up. It doesn’t say it’s in neutral or anything. All I can do is turn on the heat/electronics but the engine won’t turn over. I can’t change gears and applying or removing the park brake doesn’t do anything.

The only fix I’ve found is disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. I’m about 90% sure it’s because my husband is either putting the car in park and turning off the engine before it engages, or not remembering to put it in park at all. This problem has not occurred when I drive the car—ever. Only him. He insists he puts the car in park.

I saw people said it could be the door not being closed but that’s not possible—I shut all the doors to double check. It seems like he’s just not applying Park correctly and confusing the computer, but it’s really irritating that the engine won’t turn over at all at that point.

Are you parking on an unlevel surface, like hill of some sort? Also, have you tried to manually use the parking break button on the left side to see if that makes a difference? If you've tried both... take it in. Join the club of problems a lot of us have .
Old 01-26-2020, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A220
Haven't had this problem but in case it helps... I almost never put the car in park before turning it off. I just hit the power button and that's it.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220
Originally Posted by ccole93

Same thing happened to me recently. I drive 2019 A220. I always put it in park before turning off. I'm just glad I found your post because I had no idea what to do.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E320
I would say make sure to press the brake pedal hard and then press Park on gear selector. That should put the transmission in Park and allow you to start the engine. This problem is explained here in more detail. https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/merced...e-rolling-away
Old 05-13-2021, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Your car is still under warranty so I suggest you take it back to your MB dealer for further diagnosis. It's possible that the door latch might be faulty and be what's causing the problem.