Part # Required V Belt Bracket - MB Dealer retarded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 CDI
Part # Required V Belt Bracket - MB Dealer retarded

Hope someone can help ...

My wifes A170 has thrown the V Belt for 2nd time in 6 months.

MERCEDES A170 CDI AVANTGARDE AUTO 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1689cc (2003) DIESEL - NON AIRCON

Not sure which was chicken and which was egg* but on inspection the bracket which holds the lower guide pulley (pulley # 4 on loftys v informative page Bert Rowe's-mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Poly 'V' Belt replacement, Crankshaft pulley wheel problems.) has snapped.

trawled all of the local scrap yards and it seems that A170 engine blocks are as rare as hens teeth encased in rocking horse doings.

Eventually bit the bullet and went to MD dealer who sourced me a part which included bracket and pulley for the princely sum of £51, when I went to pick it up today the stud pattern on the bracket is a perfect match but the pulley is located about an inch or so lower.

Turns out they ordered me the bracket for the aircon version.

Very frustrating as when I ordered I took Chasis # / Reg # and the broken Part in hand.

I suggested he refund this one and order the right unit - after nearly an hour of head scratching the guy turns round and tells me there isn't one for the non air con unit and try's to sell me a complete tensioner assembley unit for ££££. - WTF is this broken thing in my hand then buddy ????

Question 65 on Loftys FAQ page (Bert Rowe's-A-class info. Questions and answers on Mercedes-Benz 'A' Class W168 variants) seems to suggest that someone else has had this problem with the A170 diesel. - does anyone know the Mercedes part number for this bracket / strap thingamy

I am still ringing round scrap yards to see if I can turn something up, but I need to get her back on the road ASAP.

All help gratefully received !!!!

* Separate problems really but I am currently working on train of thought that 1st belt loss (very worn top end pulley replaced) tugged the bracket about a bit when it jumped and bent the bracket (I was never really happy that it ran true when I replaced it) and tension of a new belt combined with it not running completely true has eventually fatigued the bracket - does this sound feasible or have I likely got another problem somewhere ???