A-Class (W168, W169) A140, A160, A160 CDI, A170 CDI, A190, A210 Evo, A180

A140 in the mongol rally, can it be done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280, ML350, E500 4Matic
A140 in the mongol rally, can it be done?

Let me first say that I have never driven, nor even seen an A Class Benz in person. The closest I have seen is a B class while traveling in Canada. That said, please feel free to point out the inadequacies an A class would have for my intensions, as I am not even aware of what may be obvious.

A few friends and I are bouncing around the idea of entering next year's (2011) mongol rally http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/

I am used to driving a W211 E500, so obviously an A class will be an adjustment, but that's the point---to use an entirely ill-suited vehicle, pushing it beyond its limits, and travel one third the Earth's circumference.

Firstly, can an A140 make it? It would have to be an early W168, with the smallest engine possible as the event penalizes anything with a 1200cc or larger motor. I know in the US, the 2001-2004 Mercedes range is reported to suffer from poor reliability. I would really like to use a Benz, but would something else be a better match (VW Polo, Citroën Saxo/C2, et. al.)?

Additionally, what do A140s usually cost? Obviously, limiting cost, without costing reliability or safety is paramount. Can I find a decent one on eBay or should I stick with a licensed Mercedes-Benz dealer?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. We are really just tossing around the idea and need somewhere to start.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 A180 CDI
Ebay may have a decent one but the ones turned back in to Mercedes dealers used are usually a real good buy, as they have had a better service history and have been better cared for......they should run cost wise between $ 3K - $7k depending on mileage, etc.......diesel is better for long life, of course, but I'm not sure America gets diesel A-class cars like we do here in the UK