A-Class (W168, W169) A140, A160, A160 CDI, A170 CDI, A190, A210 Evo, A180

A170 CDI suddenly loses power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A170 CDI suddenly loses power

Hi. I have mercedes a 170 cdi w168. The car runs great, it has no problem going uphil or accelerating badly but once or twice a day it sudenly losses power and chokes. Wen that hapend i just press gas pedal more and the problem is solved for a while. After few minutes the problem is repeating.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Hi again. I'we found a problem. The problem was EGR. When I pluged off EGR by removing vacum on it the car worked great. I cleaned up EGR and pluged it again in,but the problem is repeating. The vacum is sucking the neadle that alows exhaust gasses to enter in EGR vave and the car sudenly losses power becouse it has no oxygen to burn fuel. What should I do?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 AM

a170
Hi, I know this reply is a bit late but I had this problem when the vaccum pipe was disconnected from the manifold on the top of the engine. Possibly you have a leak in this pipe/its not secure?

I had no power after about 50mph - foot flat to the floor and no acceleration.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 AM

Thanx that was a problem. I reslove it. But the mechanic told me that my MAF isn't working and sometimes my car losses power, and after I turn the car off wait a minute and tthen turn it on, the power is back.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 AM

W168 A170cdi Elegance
Have the same problem, suddenly looses power, just goes flat, usually when under load like up a hill and I have to switch off and restart to get the power back.
Cleaned the EGR (What a stupid ineffective piece of rubbish that idea was) and still the same so I blanked it off with a 2mm stainless STEEL plate, (one doesn't really need it anyway, just improves the emissions a LITTLE) still the same, checked turbo, OK. Checked vac pipes, OK. looked at the MAF and the resistor on the side is missing, I cannot see any wire ends in the three 'pegs' that would hold it so I was wondering if it ever had one? I have ordered a new one so we will see if that cures it.