A-Class (W177) (V177) 2018 to present

Wind Noise from the A220?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None yet
Wind Noise from the A220?

I am strongly considering getting the A220 but I am now reading reports of excessive wind noise when you drive it at highway speeds. Example:

https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/a-class/2019/

Personally, I didn't exactly notice this when I road-tested the car but I might not have been paying too close attention, as I was more focused on the drive feel and use of the dashboard electronics. Maybe I had a quieter unit to test, as well. But if it's common enough to note in a review, I'm a bit concerned going in.

Has anyone else noticed this in their own units? Are there things the dealer can do to correct for this, e.g., replace standard windows with acoustic windows, or thicken the seal on the doors?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
I would not say the wind noise is terrible. It's not the best, but this car isn't designed to keep you 'secluded' from the road. It's supposed to be designed to make it a bit more responsive/noticeable. If you're after pure comfort, the A Class is not for you.

That said, there is, what I call mirror turbulence. In my vehicle, it sounds like there is a seal that's not closed off enough or something. I had the shop service manager drive with me and he said it was like that in other vehicles. I don't think this is true. My current loaner is an A-Class and while I do hear the road, I don't hear that 'turbulence' like I did in mine. It could be the mirror rotation though and it's negligible if you're listening to any type of music.

Take it another drive around. Make sure the mirrors are aligned with how you will drive 100% of the time, make sure the music/noise is off. Get on the highway and test to see if you hear turbulence around the mirrors. I want to say I didn't have it in mine UNTIL they worked on the door panels.
The following users liked this post:
chasfh (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None yet
Originally Posted by Deriggs007
I would not say the wind noise is terrible. It's not the best, but this car isn't designed to keep you 'secluded' from the road. It's supposed to be designed to make it a bit more responsive/noticeable. If you're after pure comfort, the A Class is not for you.

That said, there is, what I call mirror turbulence. In my vehicle, it sounds like there is a seal that's not closed off enough or something. I had the shop service manager drive with me and he said it was like that in other vehicles. I don't think this is true. My current loaner is an A-Class and while I do hear the road, I don't hear that 'turbulence' like I did in mine. It could be the mirror rotation though and it's negligible if you're listening to any type of music.

Take it another drive around. Make sure the mirrors are aligned with how you will drive 100% of the time, make sure the music/noise is off. Get on the highway and test to see if you hear turbulence around the mirrors. I want to say I didn't have it in mine UNTIL they worked on the door panels.
Thanks for the insights. If wind noise is actively being engineered into the car so you can feel more responsive to the road, whatever that means, then that strikes me as an engineering fail. Wind noise is not an advantage.

I prefer a quieter ride because I listen to podcasts while driving and I would prefer not to have to turn the sound up and down constantly while riding around. But in general, a constant loud whooshing from the outside is simply annoying. Would having the door windows switched out have any effect?
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
Originally Posted by chasfh
Thanks for the insights. If wind noise is actively being engineered into the car so you can feel more responsive to the road, whatever that means, then that strikes me as an engineering fail. Wind noise is not an advantage.

I prefer a quieter ride because I listen to podcasts while driving and I would prefer not to have to turn the sound up and down constantly while riding around. But in general, a constant loud whooshing from the outside is simply annoying. Would having the door windows switched out have any effect?
Wind noise isn't being engineered into the car. I'm just saying the car wasn't designed to be whisper quiet like an E-Class would be and even the C Class. The car was designed to be responsive and immersive with the environment. THey do pump fake sounds from the engine into the vehicle, but the noise you actually hear around the windows is physical wind noise.

You could theoretically replace windows with 'acoustic glass' which is just thicker glass. However, I'm not sure if there is anything out there for our vehicle.