A-Class (W177) (V177) 2018 to present

Reliability after cylinder head repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220 4Matic
Question Reliability after cylinder head repair

I had purchased a brand new A220 4matic back in June 2021 the car got a yellow CEL a few months ago. I took the car to the dealership and was told it was due to the cylinder head recall issue. The dealership took 5 days to repair the car and during that time, they also told me they had to change the radiator and a thermostat as the car was running hot when they test drove it after completing the cylinder head repair (I never noticed the temp gauge going beyond the halfway mark when I used to drive it). It seems quite unusual for a new car to have such issues this early on and at such low mileage (55,000 kms) so I was just curious about the long term reliability of this model as I was planning on keeping it after the financing was done in two years.

Has anyone in this forum experienced this major repair with their vehicle? How well has the car held up long term reliability wise after these repairs?
Old 01-06-2024, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 CLA250
I don't know about reliability, but I know it is a common issue. I had a 2020 A220, it was a lease, and I was supposed to turn it back in 5 months, then suddenly (at 60000 miles) I had that exact same issue (and it was already out of warranty). I went to the dealer to check the car and to see how expensive would be to fix it, and they offered to get the car from me without caring about the issue if I got a new lease from them, and I did (so now I have a new CLA250) .
So, they knew about the issue (they said it was somewhat common), and luckily for me, they did cover the issue (kinda) in spite of being out of warranty