Classic Mercedes DIY tips and hints Discussion forum to share your DIY projects.

Canbus help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Canbus help please!!!!

Hi All,

Pleeeease help!

I was splicing into brown wires under passenger side footwell to install android head unit steering wheel controls and bumped into the harness amf the teleaid and srs warning lights came on. I unclipped and reseated each on of the 5 canbus plugs on the harness, thinking i caused a open circuit, but no luck.

Now i have ridiculous battery drain and teleaid and srs warning lights.

Here is what I did already:

1. Seated and unseated canbus plugs, since this is where the problem originally started. But when I unplugged each on, I got an error, but the error disappeared when i plugged it back in, telling me there is indeed metal to metal contact and not an obvious open circuit.

2. For battery drain, had my battery checked at advance auto and it is fine. I next pulled the radio fuse, thinking the drain came from incorrect android radio wiring. But alas, the next moring battery drain still remained so i ruled out radio. Now i thought I may try disabling teleaid fuses (50, 55) to see if that was the problem, which I will check shortly to see if that isolated battery drain.

3. For the record, I did indeed pull every fuse in the car. PITA but I had to rule that out.

MY PLAN NOW.

1. If teleaid fuse pull doesn't stop the battery drain, I will install battery kill switch as a temporary bandaid.

2. CLEAR this warning was with star and select "not present" to permanently remove the error. I am looking at the bidirectional Autel DS8808. It is really expensive but an avoided trip to a dealership could easily amount to more.
Or,
3. Call dealer or find Indy that is willing to clear the code without the BS, assuming that they would even know what is going on.

ERRORS and MY CONFUSION

1. Is star or similar diagnostic the only way to get of tge message, as dozens of other threads suggests?

2. Here is canbus plug. I connected and reseated but short still remains. So frustrated. Any ideas? Maybe it is on plug i need to inspect more closely??

This is canbus for reference, but my plug i reference is under passenger footwell

3. Here are warning messages from carsoft

​​​​​​​