Classic Mercedes DIY tips and hints Discussion forum to share your DIY projects.

240d wont start after replacing engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
240d 1982
240d wont start after replacing engine

My 1982 240 d engine wont crank over after it was replaced. No fuel gets past the injector. It may be an air lock some people say. I have tried to hand pump it and also installed an electric pump in tandem and removed the hard lines and nothing. I was told to hook up a 24 volt battery in series or take it to a big hill to push the air out. Another guy said to install a brake bleeder to one of the first injection output. I was told injection pumps almost never completely fail.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 502 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Who did the engine work and install?

Does the engine SPIN with starter or not?

You have fuel up to injector?

Who rebuilt injector pump?
NEw injectors or old?
Old 03-17-2021, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
240d 1982
[
I did my own install.
The engine has no problem spinning.with or without starter, I tested the compression through the glow plug ports it was very low but I was told that is normal since the engine was sitting around a long time.
The fuel goes up to the injection pump no problem and actually shows up leaking out of the black overflow hoses ,shrouded with fabric connected to the injectors ( this I assume is because the fuel is seeking the path of least resistance so instead of going to the injection pump it goes to the return lines.. To ensure that the lift pump was not the problem I jury rigged an electric fuel pump in tandem with the lift pump. Makes no difference. I disconnected the hard lines and no fuel shoot up from any of the 4 ports

Nobody rebuilt the pump -- I was told by MB diesel mechanics that pumps rarely fail completely, they may lack timing or have an air lock but they are rock solid.

The injectors are old, but that is irrelevant at this point since no diesel gets up to them.

QUOTE=ygmn;8294203]Who did the engine work and install?

Does the engine SPIN with starter or not?

You have fuel up to injector?

Who rebuilt injector pump?
NEw injectors or old?[/QUOTE]