Classifieds The classifieds listings have been archived, create a listing in our new Marketplace!

Buying an out of state car... sales/use tax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Buying an out of state car... sales/use tax?

So, if I buy a car out of state, of course I don't need to pay taxes there... but, what about when I bring the car into CA for registration... what do I pay???

I know I will have the usual registration fees & stuff, but, do I need to pay any kind of use tax??? I assume since i didn't buy in CA that there would be no sales tax...

any help is appreciated.
Danny
Old 05-23-2006, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will pay CA tax upon registering the car. i recently went thru this...
Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 AM

Mercedes-Benz
Yes. You will pay sales tax on the amount stated on your bill of sale or title/pink slip. Furthermore, the tax rate depends on the county/city you register your car in. For example, your tax rate might be higher in the city/county of your residence than at your workplace. Where you register your car might also determine your insurance rate.

You will in all likelihood need to have a SMOG check done on the car and actually physically bring the car to the DMV for odometer and VIN verification

more info: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
yea, i read up on all the dmv has to offer... good pointer about where to register... might have to go down to OC to register and save a few bucks
Old 05-23-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by aintME
You will in all likelihood need to have a SMOG check done on the car and actually physically bring the car to the DMV for odometer and VIN verification

more info: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

yeah you have to SMOG and do a VIN verification, but it is really painless. DMV VIN verification took all of 2-5minutes (and I didn't even make an appointment), and SMOG took 15minutes total as I went down to the shop that SMOG my car first thing in the morning.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by shanta
yeah you have to SMOG and do a VIN verification, but it is really painless. DMV VIN verification took all of 2-5minutes (and I didn't even make an appointment), and SMOG took 15minutes total as I went down to the shop that SMOG my car first thing in the morning.
It's easy when your local DMV is NOT run by a bunch of clowns