Classifieds The classifieds listings have been archived, create a listing in our new Marketplace!

1985 Mercedes 380SE 4dr - decent and cheap! Solid southern car... $950. !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 380SE, 00 Tundra V8 SR5 4wd, 73 Pontiac Grand Ville, 69 Chevrolet Caprice, 89 Pontiac Safari
1985 Mercedes 380SE 4dr - decent and cheap! Solid southern car... $950. !!

As much as I hate to, I am forced to sell my 1985 Mercedes 380SE. I thought I never would sell it, but I needed a truck and I have no room for this car and my other "classics"- which have sentimental value, so this one MUST go. I want it to go to someone that will take care of it, restore it and hopefully someone that is knowledgeable of Mercedes and appreciates them.

I honestly think that with some work, this would make someone an excellent automobile for many years to come. It is 22 years old, so it is not perfect. This car has 269K miles.

Body - is very solid, but it has a small bubble of rust starting on the RR fenderwell. Not on the edge - its at a easy place to repair. Undercarriage looks very good. This car was in DC for a short while, then in NC, now in TN. The silver paint is faded on the hood, top and trunk panels. Sides look good - dent free from what I can tell and paint is decent, but not show winning.

Interior - in very good shape, especially for a 1985. It has MB-Tex, which is in excellent condition, as is the carpeting. Dash has some cracks, but it has a matching dash cover which does very well. All windows, lights, gauges (including dash illumination lights) and locks work properly- including the sunroof. Even the clock still works. Here are the things that I know that DO NOT work/needs repair - cruise control, LR window seems to be off of track, power antenna does not work, cassette player "drags", auxillary fan (keeps popping fuse) and heat only blows out of dash vents/defrosters.

Engine/drivetrain - rear brake pads need replaced (warning light flashing now)... I have the pads to replace. The "brake" light stays illuminated- the pedal seems to be sagging a bit. If you lift it, it goes off. Sometimes the "anti-lock" warning light illuminates - perhaps wheel sensor(s), but it has not came on when driving for quite sometime now. Steering has some "slack" - perhaps some adjustments/repairs in order, but its no worse than many older cars I have driven. The transmission seems very well. This was my first Benz, but from what I am told, the transmission is in perfect working order. Firm shifts when tranny is cold, smooths out after it warms up to shift very pleasing. No "flaring" or slipping. Tires are still decent as well. Seems to wear evenly. Now- the engine still seems good in this car, but it needs some maintainence! It is unknown when the timing chain/tensioner/rails/guides were last changed, so this should be completed posthaste. Also- there is some "lifter chatter" from the engine and seems to be on the right side. I was told it could be all of the miles on the camshaft on that side. It also has a faint "peck" between 1500-1900 rpms on acceleration - it has been doing this for a while and not gotten worse - perhaps it has something to do with the camshaft? There are NO oil or transmission leaks on this car and I have not seen any oil usage between the 3K changes. It is due for an oil change - I checked the level the other day and it was still full - with 3K on the oil. I currently have it on the "auto-RX" treatment to see if it helps. Amazing I think for a 268K car not to burn or leak any oil. Now- I took the car to a MB tech and he said that the injector seals are leaking and need replaced. Quoted $185. Reason why - it has a roughness when the temperature is below 50° and the engine is cold. After it warms up- it smooths out. They look original, so it may be the culprit. Also- after the engine warms up and mainly in the summer- when stopping at a stop light- it will stall from time to time - or sometimes when you shift into gear it will. It always starts right back up though. He said that the injector seals were causing this as well. Also- strange, but when the engine is hot- when shifting into reverse, it is abrupt - when cold, it is fine. Perhaps and adjustment is needed? From what I have heard, this is typical of many Mercedes of this vintage. Oh, I also had new mufflers put on it about a year ago. I think I had a new muffler and tailpipe (including the muffler near the end) installed. This car has a smooth ride. I have driven it daily and have had no major issues. Knock on wood. I also just paid $100 to have it checked and have the spark plugs replaced @ the techs shop.

I have tried to be as honest as possible about this car. I want whoever gets it to know all about it and be able to give it the help it needs.

Price - ONLY $950. I have seen rusted out heaps sell for more that this!

I am not sure why the book value is so high on the older Mercedes, but the NADA LOW retail on this car is still showing $6450 and high retail is $11,900.... so..... ???

If the car does not sell within a few weeks, it will be listed on e-bay
Car is located in northeast Tennessee - car must be picked up and is sold "as-is". This is a 22 year old car. Will meet a shipper within 20-30 miles of Bristol.

Again - I am listing this car here first hoping a older S-Class fan will buy it and give it tender loving care that it deserves. I am not listing it locally - at least for a few weeks if no one here gets it.

I am listing a few photos that I took a few months ago.... more recent photos to follow later this week.

Photos later today.....

Last edited by 85380SE; 03-25-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Almost a Member!

85 380SE, 00 Tundra V8 SR5 4wd, 73 Pontiac Grand Ville, 69 Chevrolet Caprice, 89 Pontiac Safari
As promised.... here are the photographs (some were taken back last winter and some last summer:

As mentioned- this is the only rust I have found on the body:

$900. FIRM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

$875.

Are these cars just not desirable anymore? I guess everyone would rather pay more for a rusted out diesel?

$875. FIRM
Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Reduced - $800. Firm!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Almost a Member!

$750 Firm!

Final reduction.... $750. FIRM. Its worth more than this in parts alone. Please keep in mind this is a 22 year old car, so please do not expect a like new car, especially for $750. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

SOLD! (for $750.)

Thanks for your interest.