Classifieds The classifieds listings have been archived, create a listing in our new Marketplace!

1969 280sl For Sale! 68,000 Miles From Germany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 mercedes 280sl
1969 280sl For Sale! 68,000 Miles From Germany

More pictures and info can be seen here Http://Web.mac.com/ksk228

1969 Mercedes 280SL

Purchased In Germany

68,000 Original Miles

Two Owner History

Freshly Rebuilt Original Engine

Automatic Transmission

Mechanically Perfect

Great Black Leather Interior

Two Tops- Black Soft Top White Hard Top

Survivor Car

All Original With Build Sheet

Some History On The 280SL Mercedes:

“SL stands for Sport Light or Sport Leicht in German”. The 280SL quickly became a popular luxury sports car soon after its debut in 1967. After struggling sales of previous Mercedes the 280SL would be a car to revive Mercedes top notch reputation. The European 280SL, like this one would have a leg up in performance to the tune of 10 horsepower making this inline six push 190HP. The 280SL was offered with various tops including a removable hardtop, painted body color and or a soft-top. 1969 became the most productive year for the 280SL with sales topping just over 8,000. The six cylinder engine had a mechanical Bosh fuel injection system, single overhead camshaft, and seven bearing crankshaft which helped produce enough usable power to allow the 280Sl to hit speeds around 121Mph and go 0-60 in 9.3 seconds. Although the Mercedes may seem underpowered it was considered quick for its time. “A perfectly balanced vehicle, the Mercedes 280Sl is a vehicle with a quiet confidence, with truly no competition.” ConceptCarsz.com

This Car’s Story!

Up for auction is a true survivor with an interesting story! This 1969 Mercedes was purchased in Germany in 1969 by its first owner then shipped to the states. The first owner being an avid car enthusiast garage kept the car for nearly all of its life and kept excellent care of it. The original owner grew old and sold it to the present owner who at the time had been an employee of his. Once it was sold it was still garage kept except for a couple days out of the year. Throughout this time the mileage on the car stayed low for it was never the primary car and was only driven for pleasure. This Mercedes stays true to its German roots; nothing has been altered or added since its purchase in 1969. A build sheet will also be included with this sale to insure originality.

This second owner’s garage did allow some moisture to get to the body of the car though it is still in fairly good condition. The Interior is immaculate for the cars age and shows very minimal wear. When I originally saw this 280SL my first thought that the interior had been restored. The seats are in outstanding condition with no rips or tears and show just like new. The engine and transmission have been rebuilt by a reputable shop in NJ, receipts are available and will be sent with the car. I have personally gone over every inch of the car and preformed an inspection detailing all of the cars faults. Mechanically this car is perfect, though the body does need attention. This Mercedes will be excellent after some time is put in!

Inspection:

Mechanical: ** More Pictures on the webpage

Mechanically this Mercedes is immaculate the engine has been rebuilt less than 4,000 miles ago buy an avid Mercedes master mechanic, and as I mentioned these receipts are available. The car drives smooth and idles without a hiccup! Update* The Transmission Linkage Bushings have recently been replaced.

Interior: ** More pictures on the webpage

The interior is exceptional for its age and really shows that the car was truly garage kept and only driving for pleasure.

Body: ** More Pictures on the webpage

Other than the problem area’s listed below the body is in good shape with no rust on the floorboards, wheel wells, quarters, fenders, hood, roof, or trunk lid. The only areas of rot on the car are in the trunk on the trunk floor and some spotty area’s on the driver and passenger rocker panels. The rest of the rust areas are minor and require much less intensive bodywork. I have received quotes form various body shops to do this work and will pass what I have found on to those who are interested. From what I have found it will cost somewhere in the range of $8,000 to make the body perfect.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43, 1980 450SL, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
Originally Posted by 1969 Mercedes
1969 Mercedes 280SL
68,000 Original Miles
Advertise this car at www.SL113.org/forums There is a For Sale section on the forum.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 mercedes 280sl
Hey thanks man!