I drove a CLE 450 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 03:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C43
Post I drove a CLE 450 today

So, for those who are interested, here are my impressions:

1) Interior is a nice step up from the C-Class, I guess E-Class territory. Interior appointments are nice! Just sit in one and see for yourself. Switchgear, such as there is, is a step up too. The turn signal stalk just has a more satisfying feel than my C43 (a minor point but valid). I'm not a fan of the touch sensitive capacitive discharge "buttons". I like more tactile switches just like in my C43, which raises the question; "If it ain't broke, why fix it?". I had very little time to work the steering wheel sensors or the touch screen but they both seem to work well enough and could be acclimated to - eventually.

2) The CLE450 felt so much more comfortable on the road than my C43. I think that my run-flat tires have a lot to do with that. "Tire-fit" is a nice idea but if I get a flat I'm pushing the emergency call button. I hope that the CLE53 suspension will have the same dynamic. Comfortable and stiff when called for.

3) The big Nav display is really great, one can see a lot more of the map/route in 3-D. I can't wait to see the Nav directions projected on the road in front of the car.

4) POWER. Yes, it's around the same as my C43, but I think the car is heavier so maybe not as quick. 2 miles of driving on back roads really couldn't test the performance to the limits yet throttle response was right there, no turbo lag. It felt good. I really like the "no-lag-go-now" electric turbo!

5) There was no 4-wheel steering but turning and handling was pretty good. Again, heavier than my car so I felt the weight. I expect the 53 AMG adaptive suspension will handle that (LOL).

6) For some reason the brake pedal felt very soft. The car stopped fine and I guess it would take some getting used to. The Sales rep was trying to explain that the feel was due to the brake-assist feature where the brakes pre-charge based on the driving situation. Again, not enough time to explore.

7) One of my annoyances with my 2019 C43 is the "Welcome screen". In the CLE I'm no longer reminded to take my key WHEN ENTERING THE CAR!!!

I really liked driving it. It's a smooth, big, powerful Merc just as you'd imagine it should be. If it wasn't for the AMG version I would have seriously considered the CLE450 to replace my C43. It seems that this is car is actually the biggest 2-door coupe in the MB line-up. I like 2-door coupes and I can't hardly wait for my CLE53.
The following 3 users liked this post by MJP_43:
AV1 (04-22-2024), Mayur999 (04-21-2024), RJC (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 05:59 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
2018 C43 Cabriolet
Thanks for posting your experience with the CLE450 , nice to know these vehicles are actually coming to market . From what I've seen and read , the quality of the interior is the weakest part of the package ,being the same as the existing C class sedan and less than the E class . Having owned a C43 and now an E450 there is a clear difference between the two in terms of design and materials . Having said that its nice to know that your impression was that its more E class .
I have got used to the capacitive buttons after a year , so like with most things , we adapt .
As you say ,it's the same power as the C43 and in my case , didn't notice a lack of performance with the E450 after the C43 ,just a smoother ,quieter ride . Presumably the 53 will be a little more exciting !
When are you expecting delivery of your car ? I'm getting increasingly worried about the lack of news re the CLE53 cabriolet . I even read in one report that there will NOT be a 53 cabriolet version . Hopefully ,this just means not this model year ??
Old 04-20-2024, 06:31 PM

C43
Smile Happy to contribute.

Originally Posted by splunge
Thanks for posting your experience with the CLE450 , nice to know these vehicles are actually coming to market . From what I've seen and read , the quality of the interior is the weakest part of the package ,being the same as the existing C class sedan and less than the E class . Having owned a C43 and now an E450 there is a clear difference between the two in terms of design and materials . Having said that its nice to know that your impression was that its more E class .
I have got used to the capacitive buttons after a year , so like with most things , we adapt .
As you say ,it's the same power as the C43 and in my case , didn't notice a lack of performance with the E450 after the C43 ,just a smoother ,quieter ride . Presumably the 53 will be a little more exciting !
When are you expecting delivery of your car ? I'm getting increasingly worried about the lack of news re the CLE53 cabriolet . I even read in one report that there will NOT be a 53 cabriolet version . Hopefully ,this just means not this model year ??
My current build date is May 23 so hopefully June '24. But I entreated my rep to try to get the car built earlier. I'd love to have it before WWIII starts.

Base on this article (https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...lled-into-one/), CLE Cabriolet should be coming soon, and with 53 AMG version. I think that it would be in MB's best interest to release this car soon, spring/summer '24, despite the relatively small market. When they arrive and are on the road, who knows how much interest it will generate.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:25 PM

2018 C43 Cabriolet
Thanks , I guess the fact that the 53 AMG convertible version is not confirmed yet makes me nervous ?
Old 04-22-2024, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 347 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I think the convertible is imminent, and the 53 convertible will be a 2025 model year.

As for the soft brakes, I believe it has to do with the 48 volt mild hybrid and regenerative brakes.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:01 PM

2018 C43 Cabriolet
How was the exhaust sound in the CLE450 ? I assume it was just like my E450 as in pleasant ,but not overly exciting ? I also assume the 53 amg will have an on/off button for opening /closing the flaps as in the C43 ?
Old 04-22-2024, 03:34 PM

C43
Question Regenerative Braking in CLE?

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
I think the convertible is imminent, and the 53 convertible will be a 2025 model year.

As for the soft brakes, I believe it has to do with the 48 volt mild hybrid and regenerative brakes.
I didn't have time to do a lot of "configuring" in the car. Is the regenerative braking adjustable, like in electric cars? I wouldn't mind that.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:14 PM

C43
Mellow Exhaust sound in the CLE 450

Originally Posted by splunge
How was the exhaust sound in the CLE450 ? I assume it was just like my E450 as in pleasant ,but not overly exciting ? I also assume the 53 amg will have an on/off button for opening /closing the flaps as in the C43 ?
Exhaust is audible with the windows down and maybe a little louder in S+, but the engine is revving higher. Given the market for non-AMG I'm guessing subdued exhaust is by design, like the E-class. Exhaust tips are turn-downs behind a fake exhaust opening in the bumper.

Based on the early CLE 53 drive videos I've watched I don't hear the same volume of the crackle and pops as my C43. I don't remember seeing or reading anything about an AMG Performance Exhaust with flaps like the C43. I'm hoping that the Standard option 339, Switchable Engine Sound, on my CLE53 build means that there are actual exhaust cut-outs and NOT the sound played through the stereo. There's another option, 32U, Sound Personalization, which might be the reproduced exhaust sound. I'll find out what it sounds like and what option is what when I get the car.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,372 Likes on 2,023 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by MJP_43
So, for those who are interested, here are my impressions:

1) Interior is a nice step up from the C-Class, I guess E-Class territory. Interior appointments are nice! Just sit in one and see for yourself. Switchgear, such as there is, is a step up too. The turn signal stalk just has a more satisfying feel than my C43 (a minor point but valid). I'm not a fan of the touch sensitive capacitive discharge "buttons". I like more tactile switches just like in my C43, which raises the question; "If it ain't broke, why fix it?". I had very little time to work the steering wheel sensors or the touch screen but they both seem to work well enough and could be acclimated to - eventually.

2) The CLE450 felt so much more comfortable on the road than my C43. I think that my run-flat tires have a lot to do with that. "Tire-fit" is a nice idea but if I get a flat I'm pushing the emergency call button. I hope that the CLE53 suspension will have the same dynamic. Comfortable and stiff when called for.

3) The big Nav display is really great, one can see a lot more of the map/route in 3-D. I can't wait to see the Nav directions projected on the road in front of the car.

4) POWER. Yes, it's around the same as my C43, but I think the car is heavier so maybe not as quick. 2 miles of driving on back roads really couldn't test the performance to the limits yet throttle response was right there, no turbo lag. It felt good. I really like the "no-lag-go-now" electric turbo!

5) There was no 4-wheel steering but turning and handling was pretty good. Again, heavier than my car so I felt the weight. I expect the 53 AMG adaptive suspension will handle that (LOL).

6) For some reason the brake pedal felt very soft. The car stopped fine and I guess it would take some getting used to. The Sales rep was trying to explain that the feel was due to the brake-assist feature where the brakes pre-charge based on the driving situation. Again, not enough time to explore.

7) One of my annoyances with my 2019 C43 is the "Welcome screen". In the CLE I'm no longer reminded to take my key WHEN ENTERING THE CAR!!!

I really liked driving it. It's a smooth, big, powerful Merc just as you'd imagine it should be. If it wasn't for the AMG version I would have seriously considered the CLE450 to replace my C43. It seems that this is car is actually the biggest 2-door coupe in the MB line-up. I like 2-door coupes and I can't hardly wait for my CLE53.
Thanks for sharing your impressions OP, happy to hear that you like it.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Exhaust is audible with the windows down and maybe a little louder in S+, but the engine is revving higher. Given the market for non-AMG I'm guessing subdued exhaust is by design, like the E-class. Exhaust tips are turn-downs behind a fake exhaust opening in the bumper.

Based on the early CLE 53 drive videos I've watched I don't hear the same volume of the crackle and pops as my C43. I don't remember seeing or reading anything about an AMG Performance Exhaust with flaps like the C43. I'm hoping that the Standard option 339, Switchable Engine Sound, on my CLE53 build means that there are actual exhaust cut-outs and NOT the sound played through the stereo. There's another option, 32U, Sound Personalization, which might be the reproduced exhaust sound. I'll find out what it sounds like and what option is what when I get the car.
Keep in mind, most of the videos you seen is European spec with the annoying OPF/GPF/GPF or in plain English Petrol/Gasoline Particulate Filter. You know, those stuff that were used in diesel cars are now in gasoline cars in Europe. It is just like another muffler alongside of many mufflers already installed.

Thankfully, this filter didn't exist in the USA market for the 2019 C 43 from what I read. Hopefully it doesn't exist on the CLE 53 as well when it comes to North America, therefore, the sound may be way less muffled.

Although not at all the same car, listen to the exhaust note of the European W206 C 43 and the MBUSA market 2023 W206 C 43 with the four cylinder M139l and you can hear the difference in exhaust volume.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:08 PM

C43
Wink Snap, crackle, pop!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Keep in mind, most of the videos you seen is European spec with the annoying OPF/GPF/GPF or in plain English Petrol/Gasoline Particulate Filter. You know, those stuff that were used in diesel cars are now in gasoline cars in Europe. It is just like another muffler alongside of many mufflers already installed.

Thankfully, this filter didn't exist in the USA market for the 2019 C 43 from what I read. Hopefully it doesn't exist on the CLE 53 as well when it comes to North America, therefore, the sound may be way less muffled.

Although not at all the same car, listen to the exhaust note of the European W206 C 43 and the MBUSA market 2023 W206 C 43 with the four cylinder M139l and you can hear the difference in exhaust volume.
That's encouraging, I'm really hoping for full fledged REAL AMG sound and performance from my US spec car...I'll let y'all know as soon as I get mine and drive it.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
That's encouraging, I'm really hoping for full fledged REAL AMG sound and performance from my US spec car...I'll let y'all know as soon as I get mine and drive it.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Actually, even the European spec doesn't sound that bad, it still has the very distinct German inline-6 sound. I am honestly okay with that, the C238 E coupe 53 sounds even less actually youtube.com/watch?v=lfZVu53Rxc4
plus it is an E-Class (Well, I almost fell for the marketing, CLE is between a C and E), the subtle sound fits the character in my opinion (just my opinion though) compared to a C-Class 43 for example.

Here, listen to the CLE 53 especially the 0:12 and 1:18 mark. youtube.com/watch?v=vuxF4E6i5jw
Old 04-27-2024, 03:29 PM

C43
Smile In this case hearing the car in real life will tell all

Actually, even the European spec doesn't sound that bad, it still has the very distinct German inline-6 sound. I am honestly okay with that, the C238 E coupe 53 sounds even less actually youtube.com/watch?v=lfZVu53Rxc4
plus it is an E-Class (Well, I almost fell for the marketing, CLE is between a C and E), the subtle sound fits the character in my opinion (just my opinion though) compared to a C-Class 43 for example.

Here, listen to the CLE 53 especially the 0:12 and 1:18 mark. youtube.com/watch?v=vuxF4E6i5jw
Thanks I did. I'm pretty sure that the video cannot reproduce the true sound of the vehicle. The interior sound "sounds" suspiciously like amplified audio, it's too loud and I am not a fan of this feature. Then there is a lot of road noise on exterior passes so the exhaust notes are there but muted. There definitely are pops and crackles so I'm sure it will be fine. Also, this a Euro-spec car and I don't know what car noise codes they have that might quiet the exhaust with more or bigger mufflers. Hopefully the USofA still has more relaxed codes so that we can have more "Powerful" sounding cars. Oh, FYI, at 0:41 the vid can make one dizzy.

I'm waiting for a new test-drive by the guy who does RBR on youtube...unless I get my car first. He usually has a camera and mic mounted at the rear bumper. Not exactly what you'd hear in the car but it is more of a pure exterior exhaust sound.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Thanks I did. I'm pretty sure that the video cannot reproduce the true sound of the vehicle. The interior sound "sounds" suspiciously like amplified audio, it's too loud and I am not a fan of this feature. Then there is a lot of road noise on exterior passes so the exhaust notes are there but muted. There definitely are pops and crackles so I'm sure it will be fine. Also, this a Euro-spec car and I don't know what car noise codes they have that might quiet the exhaust with more or bigger mufflers. Hopefully the USofA still has more relaxed codes so that we can have more "Powerful" sounding cars. Oh, FYI, at 0:41 the vid can make one dizzy.

I'm waiting for a new test-drive by the guy who does RBR on youtube...unless I get my car first. He usually has a camera and mic mounted at the rear bumper. Not exactly what you'd hear in the car but it is more of a pure exterior exhaust sound.
Yes, I am aware that is an European spec, you do have a point though, those drive by videos might not be completely real even the exterior recordings, MB could be amplifying through post editing after recording it (although we can't fully confirm that), lets just hope like you said the ones that arrive in North America is much louder.

If that sound is real however, I am ok with it though (sort of), it is subtle enough in an E-Class but this is a CLE supposed to be a sportier version - C-Class, so there should be more volume.

I specially mentioned to watch the 0:12 and 1:18 mark (timestamp) because I know the interior will be louder with all those pumped in audio. That being a reason, the other is because of that 360 degree camera rotation that I want you to avoid due to the dizziness it causes. I wonder if it arrives to North America, there should be Driver's Package right, if so if we don't option that, do we just not get the pumped in audio or is the exhaust also going to change (PE, Performance Exhaust) like previous models or is it finally standard this time?

If you watched the other video of the previous gen E 53 exhaust sound it is subtle as well, which fits that car very well because that was a true E-Class. That said, even that car had an OPF/PPF/GPF.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:02 PM

C43
Wink No Particle Filters = Louder Exhaust

Yes, I am aware that is an European spec, you do have a point though, those drive by videos might not be completely real even the exterior recordings, MB could be amplifying through post editing after recording it (although we can't fully confirm that), lets just hope like you said the ones that arrive in North America is much louder.

If that sound is real however, I am ok with it though (sort of), it is subtle enough in an E-Class but this is a CLE supposed to be a sportier version - C-Class, so there should be more volume.

I specially mentioned to watch the 0:12 and 1:18 mark (timestamp) because I know the interior will be louder with all those pumped in audio. That being a reason, the other is because of that 360 degree camera rotation that I want you to avoid due to the dizziness it causes. I wonder if it arrives to North America, there should be Driver's Package right, if so if we don't option that, do we just not get the pumped in audio or is the exhaust also going to change (PE, Performance Exhaust) like previous models or is it finally standard this time?

If you watched the other video of the previous gen E 53 exhaust sound it is subtle as well, which fits that car very well because that was a true E-Class. That said, even that car had an OPF/PPF/GPF.
German and UK MB sites say little about Sport/Performance Exhaust/Flaps options and only on a few vehicles, nothing for the CLE53. I drove a 2023 C43 and there was an exhaust pipes symbol on the AMG Drive Unit. As I remember it did seem to activate flaps. It may be that Performance Exhaust with flaps is standard on AMG's and not highlighted. We'll know for sure soon enough...
Old 04-28-2024, 08:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
German and UK MB sites say little about Sport/Performance Exhaust/Flaps options and only on a few vehicles, nothing for the CLE53. I drove a 2023 C43 and there was an exhaust pipes symbol on the AMG Drive Unit. As I remember it did seem to activate flaps. It may be that Performance Exhaust with flaps is standard on AMG's and not highlighted. We'll know for sure soon enough...
I see, soon enough for sure.

In the meantime, there are some videos shared by forum members, looks like the review of the German spec is out: https://mbworld.org/forums/cle-class...-53-amg-5.html